PDA

View Full Version : Yet another TRO question

Window_Seat
05-08-2010, 6:45 PM
So I'm listening one day a few months back to an agency, and my scanner comes to life with "any firearms registered to that name?", and dispatch comes back with (as I cringe):

"Yeah, but he was to have surrendered all firearms".:willy_nilly:

So my ?s are this:

As long as they know what is up, and have time to, (unless they aren't required to surrender ARs) can the restrained take a CA legal OLL, detatch it from the upper, completely strip the lower and just turn in the only part with the S/N while giving everything else to a trusted mutual friend for "safe keeping"? As for handguns, can the restrained strip the HG and just surrender the part with the SN? Sorry if it's been asked before.

Erik.

dantodd
05-08-2010, 11:58 PM
So I'm listening one day a few months back to an agency, and my scanner comes to life with "any firearms registered to that name?", and dispatch comes back with (as I cringe):

"Yeah, but he was to have surrendered all firearms".:willy_nilly:

So my ?s are this:

As long as they know what is up, and have time to, (unless they aren't required to surrender ARs) can the restrained take a CA legal OLL, detatch it from the upper, completely strip the lower and just turn in the only part with the S/N while giving everything else to a trusted mutual friend for "safe keeping"? As for handguns, can the restrained strip the HG and just surrender the part with the SN? Sorry if it's been asked before.

Erik.

The part with the serial number is the firearm. All other parts are merely pieces of metal. (This doesn't apply to import/export issues).

More interesting question, if someone with RAWs has a TRO taken out against them are they totally and completely screwed or can they get the same weapon back if the TRO is pulled at the first hearing?

chuckdc
05-09-2010, 2:12 AM
The part with the serial number is the firearm. All other parts are merely pieces of metal. (This doesn't apply to import/export issues).

More interesting question, if someone with RAWs has a TRO taken out against them are they totally and completely screwed or can they get the same weapon back if the TRO is pulled at the first hearing?

Best answer I can give is that a friend of mine had a RAW Thompson 1928A1 (semiauto Tommy..) that he had to turn in because his soon-to-be-ex hag had a TRO against him (she didnt like that he was changing careers to become a cop). He got it quashed and got his Tommygun back from the Sheriff's dept.

SteveH
05-09-2010, 11:07 AM
You gotta fill out a LEGA and pay a fee to get each firearm back.