PDA

View Full Version : 15 round mag problem

Dolk
05-08-2010, 3:09 PM
I picked up a nice M1 Carbine this weekend but the mag is 15 rounds. The guy is sending the rifle to me here in Calif, and sending the mag to my son in Utah. Is there any conversions I can do to that mag to make it 10 only, or do I have to buy a newer 10 rounder?

What do others here do? I've seen others with 15 rounders on at the range???

dolk

CSACANNONEER
05-08-2010, 3:15 PM
Leave the 15 round one in Utah and buy a few of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=764342

While it is perfectly legal to own and use any mag that you possessed before 1-1-00, it would be illegal to import one into Ca today without the proper permit.

CSDGuy
05-08-2010, 3:19 PM
Have your son disassemble the mag to parts and he can ship the parts to you. Until any mag capacity issues are repealed, keep it in parts. Buy some dedicated 10 round magazines for you to use. That way, when/if the restriction is lifted, you can then assemble your parts back to an operable 15 round magazine because you haven't wrecked them to make a 10 round mag...

Noobert
05-08-2010, 3:46 PM
Have your son disassemble the mag to parts and he can ship the parts to you. Until any mag capacity issues are repealed, keep it in parts. Buy some dedicated 10 round magazines for you to use. That way,when/if the restriction is lifted, you can then assemble your parts back to an operable 15 round magazine because you haven't wrecked them to make a 10 round mag...

:rofl:

CSDGuy
05-08-2010, 3:54 PM
:rofl:
Yes... one way to lift/remove the restrictions is to move somewhere that it doesn't apply to... ;)

gunboat
05-08-2010, 6:47 PM
If the 15 rounder is not illegal to own and use, how would anyone know when or how it was acquired? I have a dozen of them in my cabinet, have had them since the '50's, how would anyone know when or where I obtained them? I certainly can't show a bill of sale from uncle sam.

TRICKSTER
05-08-2010, 6:53 PM
If the 15 rounder is not illegal to own and use, how would anyone know when or how it was acquired? I have a dozen of them in my cabinet, have had them since the '50's, how would anyone know when or where I obtained them? I certainly can't show a bill of sale from uncle sam.

Is receiving a 15 round mag really worth it. Yes the chances of getting caught is extremely low, but is it worth having to defending yourself against a felony charge?

AngryPossum
05-08-2010, 9:59 PM
I was under the impression you needed the gun to go with the mags before the ban. Are you guys saying it's just the mags? if so...Can I use My old 30 rd AK mags on a new AK with a raddlock?

gunboat
05-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Trickster --
I do not understand your reply to my question -- How could anyone prove they had a 15 rounder in their possesion for years? or disprove it? Are the mags dated? If they are legal to have and use who will question the possesion?

bohoki
05-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I was under the impression you needed the gun to go with the mags before the ban. Are you guys saying it's just the mags? if so...Can I use My old 30 rd AK mags on a new AK with a raddlock?

a fixed magazine cannot be more than 10

if it is detachable then the sky is the limit

TRICKSTER
05-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Trickster --
I do not understand your reply to my question -- How could anyone prove they had a 15 rounder in their possesion for years? or disprove it? Are the mags dated? If they are legal to have and use who will question the possesion?

Your question seemed to imply that it would be OK for the OP to bring the mag into the state as there was no way to prove when he got it. I was simply asking if that 15 round magazine was worth risking a felony charge.

tow4dough
05-08-2010, 11:36 PM
anytime something like this comes up...it reminds me how silly our state's gun laws are.
they have been nothing but a reaction to hysteria and have confused eveyone.

gunboat
05-09-2010, 1:06 AM
Trickster - I did not advocate any breaking of a law -- I merely questioned who would know and how would one prove he wasn't breaking the law -- and what basis would anyone have to presume you were breaking a law if you were using a 15rounder. I do admit it was somewhat off subject --

Dolk
05-09-2010, 6:53 AM
I'm still a little confused on some points.

1) The firearm has nothing to do with the capacity of the mag, correct? Does the law restrict mags.............or mags only when they are in a firearm? In other words I can't buy a AK47 30 round mags and it is legal because I don't have a AK47 to put it in? correct? It's the mag...right?

2) I can have my son break it down and send it to me in a baggie, and that is legal as long as I don't put it back together?

To shoot the rifle while I'm here in Calif, I will get a couple 10 rounders.

I'm not interested in how to "get around the law" by putting it back together and claiming I had it since "1955". I'm getting towards retirement age shortly, and I might want that mag if I move out of state where it can be reassembled legally. I just need to store it (legally) until then.

Thanks for your post. They are very informative.

GrizzlyGuy
05-09-2010, 7:19 AM
1) The firearm has nothing to do with the capacity of the mag, correct? Does the law restrict mags.............or mags only when they are in a firearm? In other words I can't buy a AK47 30 round mags and it is legal because I don't have a AK47 to put it in? correct? It's the mag...right?

The law deals with the mag itself, it doesn't matter whether it is installed in the firearm or whether you own a corresponding firearm for it. These Q&A's are a quick and worthwhile read: Magazine Questions (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Magazine_Questions)

2) I can have my son break it down and send it to me in a baggie, and that is legal as long as I don't put it back together?

Yes. See here in the FAQ: Repair and Rebuild (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Repair_and_Rebuild)

AngryPossum
05-09-2010, 7:42 AM
Ok Now I'm a little confused. If I owned Ar-15 and Ak-47 30 round mags long before the ban...and I no longer own the rifles which I used them with...Can I buy a new Ak-47 and use my old mags with it? Do i need to use a bullet button? How would I be able to use my old mags?

I got into C&R rifles for awhile, but now I'm thinking about getting an Ak...

GrizzlyGuy
05-09-2010, 7:52 AM
Ok Now I'm a little confused. If I owned Ar-15 and Ak-47 30 round mags long before the ban...and I no longer own the rifles which I used them with...Can I buy a new Ak-47 and use my old mags with it? Do i need to use a bullet button? How would I be able to use my old mags?

I got into C&R rifles for awhile, but now I'm thinking about getting an Ak...

In the FAQ:

I owned large-capacity magazine(s) since before January 1, 2000, are they legal? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#I_owned_large-capacity_magazine.28s.29_since_before_January_1.2C _2000.2C_are_they_legal.3F)

Can I bring large-capacity magazines into the state with me if I did not possess them here prior to January 1, 2000? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_bring_large-capacity_magazines_into_the_state_with_me_if_I_did _not_possess_them_here_prior_to_January_1.2C_2000. 3F)

Can I use my large-capacity magazines in my firearm equipped with a "Bullet Button?" (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_use_my_large-capacity_magazines_in_my_firearm_equipped_with_a_. 22Bullet_Button.3F.22)

AngryPossum
05-09-2010, 7:55 AM
In the FAQ:

I owned large-capacity magazine(s) since before January 1, 2000, are they legal? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#I_owned_large-capacity_magazine.28s.29_since_before_January_1.2C _2000.2C_are_they_legal.3F)

Can I bring large-capacity magazines into the state with me if I did not possess them here prior to January 1, 2000? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_bring_large-capacity_magazines_into_the_state_with_me_if_I_did _not_possess_them_here_prior_to_January_1.2C_2000. 3F)

Can I use my large-capacity magazines in my firearm equipped with a "Bullet Button?" (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_use_my_large-capacity_magazines_in_my_firearm_equipped_with_a_. 22Bullet_Button.3F.22)

Thanks, I guess I missed that part. So If i went with the Monsterman grip setup I'd be good then uhhh?

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2010, 7:57 AM
Thanks, I guess I missed that part. So If i went with the Monsterman grip setup I'd be good then uhhh?

Brand new AK with no evil features and NO BULLET BUTTON is the only way you can use +10 round AK mags in a non RAW rifle.

diginit
05-09-2010, 9:00 AM
Brand new AK with no evil features and NO BULLET BUTTON is the only way you can use +10 round AK mags in a non RAW rifle.

What He Said. As for shipping the REBUILD KIT, It is legal. You can use the parts to rebuild your other preban mags. Just do not assemble or ship the assembled mag. It is considered illegal possession or importing.
If the M1 is over 50 yrs. old, It is C&R and you can use preban mags legally. Weather you owned the gun preban or not.
Just for general knowledge, The burden of proof is on the state weather or not your mags were in your possession before 2001. Even if the mag body has a 2007 datestamp, You probably used it to replace a legally owned preban magbody as the spring, follower and/or floorplate would be noticably older.

7222 Hawker
05-10-2010, 8:50 PM
Possession of a high capacity magazine is not a crime. How you got it is none of the police officer's business. Nuff said.