PDA

View Full Version : (semi-urgent) need info on CA open carry

mzimmers
05-08-2010, 1:07 PM
Hi, all -

A few members of my daughter's high school newspaper want to talk with me in an hour about CA open carry. Apparently, an open-carry group met at a local coffee shop recently, and this sparked interest in the community.

These students are under the impression that CA law on open carry has changed recently. I'm not aware of any such new legislation; can someone tell me if there has been such a change of late? I want to make this a teachable moment, but I need to be sure I'm properly informed.

Thanks.

CSACANNONEER
05-08-2010, 1:18 PM
Try opencarry.org.

GrizzlyGuy
05-08-2010, 1:25 PM
The law didn't change, but a bill to outlaw most forms of open carry (AB1934) is working its way through the state legislature.

This site has FAQs and lots of info on open carry: CaliforniaOpenCarry.org (http://californiaopencarry.org/)

Whoa Nellie
05-08-2010, 1:32 PM
Dont talk to kids about guns. It will only encourage them to shoot someone, probably at school.

AndrewMendez
05-08-2010, 1:35 PM
Were are Theasus and PullNShoot when you need them?
The 2 websites provided will probably be your best source. Remember to encourage them that even though it is legal under current law, it is not recommended as the best source of "fighting for our rights." Then tell them about the court cases that will bring Loaded Concealed Carry to all law abiding California citizens. Don't forget to plug calguns.net and the foundation!

Mcdonald v. Chicago (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/McDonald_v._Chicago)
Pena v. Cid (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Pena_v_Cid)
Sykes v. McGinness (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Sykes_v._McGinness)

Whoa Nellie
05-08-2010, 2:06 PM
Were are Theasus and PullNShoot when you need them?
The 2 websites provided will probably be your best source. Remember to encourage them that even though it is legal under current law, it is not recommended as the best source of "fighting for our rights." !

Yeah, tell them that speaking up for your rights isnt the best way to preserve your right to free speech.

Tell them that excersizing your rights is NEVER a good idea.

The best thing to do is forfeit your rights and hope some other court will help you out. In the meantime, while you are disarmed (per CalGuns request), your and your family and all innocent people will be at the mercy of the armed criminals who dont care about gun laws and dont care about your life or well being or your childrens lives.

Teach then THAT

mzimmers
05-08-2010, 2:09 PM
OK, thanks, everyone. I'll report back on how it went, in case anyone cares.

pepsi2451
05-08-2010, 2:11 PM
Yeah, tell them that speaking up for your rights isnt the best way to preserve your right to free speech.

Tell them that excersizing your rights is NEVER a good idea.

The best thing to do is forfeit your rights and hope some other court will help you out. In the meantime, while you are disarmed (per CalGuns request), your and your family and all innocent people will be at the mercy of the armed criminals who dont care about gun laws and dont care about your life or well being or your childrens lives.

Teach then THAT

Here we go...

IBTL

-hanko
05-08-2010, 3:12 PM
Here we go...

IBTL
This thread will not be locked due to a differing opinion...I've been on board since Raul started calguns.net...never seen it happen with the exception(s) of threads that get personal, which this one has not.

This board is known for uncensored debate...a LOT different than glocktalk, high-road, etc.

Count your blessings;)

-hanko

N6ATF
05-08-2010, 3:14 PM
LMFAO

mzimmers
05-08-2010, 3:33 PM
Thanks again for the input, guys. I was visited by three girls from the HS; it turns out they were pretty much just interested in taking pictures. But, before we did anything, we had a quick rundown on the three basic rules of gun safety, the 2A and recent court decisions. I think they went away with more knowledge and less trepidation than they came in with.

What I didn't mention in my haste above was that this was a follow-on to an email exchange I had with another student a couple of days ago. For anyone interested, here's a copy of her questions and my responses. This was a very quick effort on my part, but I think/hope it was effective.

jbt56
05-08-2010, 3:41 PM
Nice! The only thing you might have added would have been a quick constitution lesson- when you said the 2nd 'gives us...', you could have explained that it actually 'prohibits the government from taking from us...'.
Otherwise, Two thumbs up!

Werewolf1021
05-09-2010, 4:54 PM
Thanks again for the input, guys. I was visited by three girls from the HS; it turns out they were pretty much just interested in taking pictures. But, before we did anything, we had a quick rundown on the three basic rules of gun safety, the 2A and recent court decisions. I think they went away with more knowledge and less trepidation than they came in with.

What I didn't mention in my haste above was that this was a follow-on to an email exchange I had with another student a couple of days ago. For anyone interested, here's a copy of her questions and my responses. This was a very quick effort on my part, but I think/hope it was effective.

You did very well. Loved all the quotes, especially the Heinlein quote (big Heinlein nerd here :o ). Very intelligent and reasoned responses in my opinion. Thumbs up. :thumbsup: Though one thing I would have added to the "Should it be left to police?" question is the fact that police cannot be everywhere and are too heavy to carry with you. :D

On a side note, isn't it fun to be asked all those questions? :D

ned946
05-09-2010, 5:00 PM
Hi, all -

A few members of my daughter's high school newspaper want to talk with me in an hour about CA open carry. Apparently, an open-carry group met at a local coffee shop recently, and this sparked interest in the community.

These students are under the impression that CA law on open carry has changed recently. I'm not aware of any such new legislation; can someone tell me if there has been such a change of late? I want to make this a teachable moment, but I need to be sure I'm properly informed.

Thanks.

It's called the Constitution of the United States w/ its Amendments.

I recommend they read it and understand it...and the rational behind each timeless amendment. First, study the second amendment, the one that makes the first amendment even possible.

Paladin
05-09-2010, 5:10 PM
Check out my first two signature lines and their links. While they're (and I'm) oriented towards CCWs, much also applies to OCing.