PDA

View Full Version : RKBA & the No Fly List

masameet
05-07-2010, 10:29 PM
So in the past few minutes since getting home I've been listening to John Rothman on KGO 810 AM Radio while I also surf the internet. And I hear him talking about last night's Republican senatorial candidate debate in Torrance with Tom Campbell, Chuck Devore and Carly Fiorina. One question posed them was:

"Should people on the No Fly watch List (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Fly_List) be allowed to purchase a gun?"

I'm listening with half an ear and I find my mind responding, No way!

Online I find the following exchange from the debate:
Question: Should people on the no-fly watch list be allowed to purchase a gun?

Tom Campbell: Ah, NO!

Chuck DeVore: Yes, if they have not been convicted of a felony

Carly Fiorina: Yes

Campbell: Oh my goodness

Fiorina: That is why Tom Campbell has a poor rating from the National Rifle Association

Campbell: I can’t believe what I am hearing. Wait until they’ re off the no-fly list then exercise your second amendment rights.

Fiorina: The no-fly list is way too large. You are seeing an issue where Tom Campbell is way too close to Barbara Boxer for my taste.

Source: http://www.frumforum.com/fiorina-and-devore-let-no-fly-list-suspects-purchase-guns

What do you think?

GaryV
05-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Let's see: the government can make a secret list that the people cannot see, and cannot know the reasoning used to put someone on it; the list is of people simply suspected of criminal behavior, without, apparently, enough evidence to rate probable cause, since they are not under arrest; based on this secret list of people merely suspected of criminal activity without any apparent solid evidence at all, some people think we should start depriving citizens of their constitutional rights. Oh, by the way, they're also looking at a bill that, based on essentially the same criteria, would allow them to simply arrest you and hold you indefinitely without charges or access to legal council. Nah, I think I'll pass on such laws, thanks. The Constitution sets the bar for depriving someone of their rights a lot higher than mere suspicion, and I think that's probably a good policy.

Midnightblue 72
05-08-2010, 12:36 AM
With the amount of people who are placed on No Fly lists as punishment or in error, why should they NOT be allowed to buy a weapon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJBZZKlvrP4&feature=related

Fast forward to 1:14 of the video, Rahm Emanuel: "If you are on the no fly list because you are known, as MAYBE a POSSIBLE terrorist, YOU CANNOT BUY A HANDGUN IN AMERICA!" (applause)

If anyone here thinks banning anyone on a "No Fly, No Buy" list is okay, then I say you have no understanding of the constitution. Funny, Emanuel wants this and the late ted Kennedy was placed on a no fly list.

LOL

How ironic.

bandook
05-08-2010, 1:23 AM
This is all BS (er... I mean politics)...
No-Fly list people WILL be allowed to buy guns otherwise the moment a baddie goes to buy a gun and is refused, he KNOWS that he's being watched and will go into hiding.

This will become a good 'check' for people wanting to do nasty stuff... go out and try to buy a gun. If you succeed, the Feds aren't watching you...

Scratch705
05-08-2010, 2:11 AM
unless it is revealed how someone gets onto the "No-Fly" list, people on the list should be allowed to buy guns.

i remember when a news reporter did a story on the list, and how she was on the list for no obvious reason, except how she got on the list exactly right after she did an story on how badly the TSA are at their jobs. cause before that story she would never get stopped or had issues flying, but within 1 month after she did the story... she would always get extra screening, she had to check-in at the desk and not at the kiosk, etc.

2009_gunner
05-08-2010, 3:09 AM
We already have a list of people who can't buy guns. They're called felons, and they've been convicted of a crime by a jury.

What is the determination of how someone gets on the no-fly list?

If someone is on the no-fly list, should they be allowed to (a) drive a car (b) use a bank account (c) use a cell phone. These are all more important tools for carrying out a terrorist operation than a firearm. If these officials are really serious about stopping terrorism, and not just grabbing guns, why are we not also doing a,b and c?

cdtx2001
05-08-2010, 7:42 AM
In the wake of the NYTS wanna-be bomber, I really wonder what good it will do to stop evildoers. This guy was being "closely" watched by the gov, was able to buy bomb making stuff, drive his bomb to TS, was on the no fly list, buy a plane ticket AND board a plane. He also had a gun "with extra magazines" in his vehicle he left at the airport. He was supposedly very evil and was able to do all those things. I'm sure he would have been able to buy a gun even if they did pass such a law.

Why can't they just enforce the laws we have already?