View Full Version : The "one-gun" scenario... HD and casual trap

03-07-2006, 10:48 PM
I don't own a shotgun, but I would like to.

I'd like one for HD, and occasional trap. By trap, I mean me, my buddies, and a couple trap throwers load up in a truck and head out for some fun. Nothing more. No scores, no trophies, no gun clubs. I don't have the time to do any kind of scheduled shooting.

I would like to hit the damn clays, though. Can I get away with using a smooth bore 18 inch shotgun for busting clays? Will any of the 18 inch HD shotguns accept chokes, so I could pop a full choke in there for clays? Does it really matter?

I was thinking about either a basic 18 inch 870, or I might splurge and waste some money on a Wilson Combat Border Patrol model. Either way, it'd see very occasional range use (killing paper), and some trap shooting once every couple months.

I know that ideally, the two activities require different guns, but honestly, can it be done? I'm a handgun shooter through and through, and really don't have the desire (or the room in my safe) to start stockpiling shotguns right now.

03-07-2006, 11:11 PM
I think an 870 would work fine for that.

I have only one shotgun myself, an old Winchester Model 12 with an 18 inch barrel and I've shot clays with it. Usually just the way you described with a couple of throwers and a couple of boxes of clays way out in the middle of nowhere. Might not work as well as a longer barrel but still fun. I can't answer your question about chokes, but it doesn't seem to matter much with mine as long as I don't let the clay get to far before I shoot it.:D

03-08-2006, 12:39 AM
My friend of mine uses his M1 Super 90 with the 14" entry barrel with a 4" "muzzle brake" and he does pretty well shooting trap with it.

03-08-2006, 2:24 AM
I'd go 870 Magnum Express. Works well for HD plus there's a lot out there for it. Not to mention its the best bang for your shotgun buck. When was the last time you heard somone say my 870 sucks arse?

03-08-2006, 3:00 AM
Instead of getting one wilson, get yourself 2 870s. Short and long barrel. You could probably even find them both used and save even more money.

03-08-2006, 6:29 AM
Big 5 regularly has a sale for this Mossberg. Comes with a 18" and 28" barrel. I've seen it for as low as $199.

03-08-2006, 8:06 AM
The Big 5 Mossberg combo is right up your alley. Perfectly reliable generic pump shotgun with two interchangable barrels. You can get fancier with a Remington 870 or a semiauto, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better value for a new gun.

03-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Get an 870 Express 12 Ga with a 28" barrel for around $260. Buy an 18" Mossberg barrel for the 870 from Cabela's for $95. If you are concerned about needing more than 5 rounds, get an elastic shell holder cuff for the buttstock from Wal-Mart for $5.

You'll have a good gun for everything from home defense to hunting. With a little oil, the 870 is a smooth shucker - just avoid cheap Winchester promo shells.