PDA

View Full Version : Why Dont The Feds Investigate Shootings in School Zones ?

Whoa Nellie
05-07-2010, 6:12 PM
Every time I hear about a shooting on or near a school zone I never hear about federal law enforcement getting involved. Doesnt it stand to reason that if a shooting occured within 1000ft of a school zone that someone had to possess a firearm within 1000ft ??

Two days ago a female police officer was shot one block from my house and 400 feet from a junior high school.
How come the feds arent investigating and how come you never hear about federal charges for those type of shootings ?

POLICESTATE
05-07-2010, 6:13 PM
Because they normally go after bigger crimes.

N6ATF
05-07-2010, 6:15 PM
Because the law is supposed to harm law abiding citizens, and not criminals.

Whoa Nellie
05-07-2010, 6:18 PM

Possession of a gun by a law abiding citizen 800 ft from a school is a bigger crime than shooting a police officer ?

CSDGuy
05-07-2010, 6:18 PM
Would you investigate something that someone else can investigate? Kind of frees up your own resources to let someone else do it... and if it's "good" they'll already have some facts and such that they can get and add in their own charges.

Kind of smart, if you ask me...

anthonyca
05-07-2010, 6:22 PM

They spend millions going after gun owners with mist DV or restraining orders. May bee they know it will fall like a bank with out a bailout.

Whoa Nellie
05-07-2010, 6:31 PM
Maybe the feds know they would never get a conviction on the charge !! Thats my opinion. No point in wasting time and resources for an unconstitutional law.

Sinixstar
05-07-2010, 6:49 PM
Because if there's a shooting - the local PD is going to be investigating the actual shooting. It's just not very effective to have both local PD, and some federal agency investigating the same crime in a different context.

Let the local PD do the leg-work. they know how to handle the local population better anyways.

Window_Seat
05-07-2010, 7:04 PM
The Feds, the State & Local Govt (separately or jointly) investigate crimes and enforce regulations only when it fits their agenda, and when/where is convenient and easier for them to do so.

It also depends on the kind of job security that is at stake.

Erik.

N6ATF
05-07-2010, 7:40 PM
Possession of a gun by a law abiding citizen 800 ft from a school is a bigger crime than shooting a police officer ?

Yes. The government will cannibalize itself just to harm law-abiding gun owners and help criminals.

POLICESTATE
05-07-2010, 7:48 PM

Fact is that in order to investigate a federal crime they have to assign some sort of federal LEO, usually and FBI agent and then a federal prosecutor to work the evidence. Local matters are local matters, they don't get involved unless it's something that has to do with stuff across state lines, or certain terrorist type stuff, kidnappings, etc...

Now if you shot a few cops in different towns (and especially different states) the G-men are going to come after you, or if you shot a few civilians in different states, like the DC sniper. Or you blew up federal property, or shot a federal employee.

Carrying a gun in your car in a federal GFSZ absent any other crimes or potential crimes and they're generally not interested.

You would think that with the rampant copyright violations and piracy affecting tax revenue they'd be going after stuff like that right? Nope. Unless they can find a single perp with over 6 figures worth of piracy crime they're not going to spend any time on you. Just another example.

There are only like 9 federal assistant AG's in the country to begin with. Not sure how many below them but it's not that much.

I was at a talk from a California deputy AG who discussed these issues several years ago, mainly from a copyright perspective, but it carries over into other things. The feds prioritize things just like anyone else.

Still, I would be careful with guns in federal GFSZ, not transporting properly coupled with a couple of other things could get you on the radar. From what I understand once you're on it, you're on it.