PDA

View Full Version : newbie deer hunter question

rabbit91476
05-07-2010, 5:17 PM
went pig hunting today. saw no pigs. so lots of youg doe and buck. never applied for a tag. the zone is a unrestricted tag.

question
1 i apply buy buying a application tag wait for approval then purchase the tag right.

2. for bear tags. not ready to hunt that but do i need to start applying for points.

These Deer were so not afraid of me. they just stood there and looked at me. :43: i know that will change as the get more mature.

all help appreciated.
thanks
rabbit

lewdogg21
05-07-2010, 6:33 PM
went pig hunting today. saw no pigs. so lots of youg doe and buck. never applied for a tag. the zone is a unrestricted tag.

question
1 i apply buy buying a application tag wait for approval then purchase the tag right.

2. for bear tags. not ready to hunt that but do i need to start applying for points.

These Deer were so not afraid of me. they just stood there and looked at me. :43: i know that will change as the get more mature.

all help appreciated.
thanks
rabbit

1) you buy the application "tag", send it in and get the real tag in the mail
2) It's over the counter. You can buy one the same way as in option #1
3) Deer don't care about people in the spring. Come fall mature bucks will be scarce but yeah seeing deer is a lot of fun.

5shot
05-07-2010, 6:33 PM

question

You buy a tag application, mark the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, choice zones you want, mail it in. If you picked a "premium" zone, you'll be notified after the drawing date. If you picked a "non-premium" zone, you should get your tags in a couple weeks.

all help appreciated.
thanks
rabbit

There's no point system for bear tags. The tag is good statewide (where and when legal).
Again, you buy the application, mail it in, and get your tag in a couple weeks.

rabbit91476
05-07-2010, 7:13 PM
thanks.

im 33 so i dont know if theres a point in standing in line for an elk tag. by the time id get drawn in Ca i may be to old to chace them

Ross
05-08-2010, 9:18 AM
Where I hunt in OK, fall turkey ends on a Friday, monden gun deer opens the next day (Saturday).

Sit and sit all you want Wed thru Fri and you won't see or hear any turkeys, but you will the buck of your dreams.

Come Saturday though, sit in the exact same spot and 20 - 50 turkeys (really, that many, my son counts them every year) will walk within 10 feet of you. And that buck? Neither he nor any other buck,, or any doe, to be seen or heard.

Rob454
05-08-2010, 10:49 AM
mark my words. you will see bucks galore come right before opening deer day. In the morning of opening deer day they all vanish.

Deer tags basically you buy the application fill it out and then send it in. if you get approved for the area you signed up for then you get the tag in the mail. if you dont you will get a refund check minus 30-40% and better luck next year.
Wild pig tags are over the counter
bear you send in
Bobcat I dont seriously remember.

cesar604
05-08-2010, 4:46 PM
IM LOOKING FOR A GOOD AREA TO GO PIG HUNTING ANY SUGGESTIONS?

cesar604
05-08-2010, 4:47 PM
I LIVE IN STANISLAUS COUNTY AND IVE BEEN TRYING COALINGA AND ONLY SEE PIG ON THE WAY THERE BUT NOT WHEN WE ARE HUNTING.

Medic451
05-08-2010, 6:56 PM
I LIVE IN STANISLAUS COUNTY AND IVE BEEN TRYING COALINGA AND ONLY SEE PIG ON THE WAY THERE BUT NOT WHEN WE ARE HUNTING.

maybe they all got scared off by the CAPS.....