PDA

View Full Version : Can already CA registerd AWs be modifed now Fed Ban is over?

xtalpimp
03-07-2006, 4:32 PM
Hey guys! When both the CA ban and the fed AW ban were in place and you had to register in CA you had to heed both. Now that the Fed ban is over can I go back and add components to AWs already registered in CA?

For example if you had a springfield SAR80 which had a thumbhole stock to comply with the fed ban at the time and you registered with CA, can you now legally convert this to a standard pistol grip config?

Or for the "post pan" config ARs of the time could not be sold with bayonet lug or a flash hider, can you now put them back on to your already registered in CA AWs?

Thanks for the responses

shopkeep
03-07-2006, 4:35 PM
Yes, they may now be reconfigured to add new and exciting post ban features.

Mike Searson
03-07-2006, 4:38 PM
The Springfield rifle in question has a thumbhole stock because of the 89 import ban.

If you replace the planet of the apes looking stock with a proper pistol grip and stock you must also replace a certain number of parts with US made ones.

Don't confuse the two.

xtalpimp
03-07-2006, 4:47 PM
But if the parts count is kept within the legal limit of American produced parts, could you modify or shall I say restore it to how the original designer made it under CAs laws?

Thanks for the responses so far!

Mike Searson
03-07-2006, 4:51 PM
But if the parts count is kept within the legal limit of American produced parts, could you modify or shall I say restore it to how the original designer made it under CAs laws?

Thanks for the responses so far!

Of course!

As long as the gun is registered as a so-called assault weapon.