PDA

View Full Version : Shooting/camping

Tommy_J_Trainer
03-07-2006, 3:10 PM
A friend and I would like to find an area where we can go shooting and camping that is virtually in the middle of nowhere. I was thinking about something in the middle of the desert. Does anyone know of anywhere maybe near El Centro or anywhere toward the CA/AZ border (that isn't private property) where we can shoot and camp with no worries? Does a place like this exist in CA? Thanks.

TJH

moulton
03-07-2006, 3:50 PM
COW MOUNTAIN BLM Land... but its all the way up in Ukiah, North of SF:( ...good for me:D

glen avon
03-07-2006, 4:18 PM
yes, get the BLM desert access guides for salton sea, eagle mountain, and palm springs. you are free to shoot on BLM land in accordance with Riverside County's shooting ordinance (http://www.clerkoftheboard.co.riverside.ca.us/ords/500/514.htm). BTW it's way in the eastern zone.

Palen valley is still the darkest place in CA at night.

ArmedBear
03-08-2006, 4:18 PM
Best shooting is in Yuma, but there's BLM land all over the place once you get east of In-Ko-Pah. A lot of it is dune buggy area, though.

taloft
03-08-2006, 4:40 PM
If you should prefer wilderness,
There are several places in the Cleveland National Forest that you can shoot at. You need to be a certain distance (150 yrds.?) away from camp, or any man made objects(outhouse). You can find everything you need on the linked page. Make sure you call to confirm reg's change. Also make sure there isn't a restriction in place from the Sheriff's Dept. Please do everyone a favor, pack out whatever targets and shells you bring in. They shut down shooting at kitchen creek because of the mess.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/recreation/shooting/blmhighptinfo.shtml

BLM California Desert District Field Offices
California Desert District Office Ridgecrest Field Office
22835 Calle San Juan de Los Lagos 300 S. Richmond Rd
Moreno Valley, CA 92553 Ridgecrest, CA 93555
909-697-5200 760-384-5400

Santa Cruz Armory
03-08-2006, 7:09 PM
You might try the Clear Creek Recreation area near Coalinga/ New Idra...I ride out there and see people shooting as well. I'm not quite sure of the legality but its a idea.

Good luck.

xYourLocalAR15x
03-11-2006, 3:28 PM
california city. also great for dune buggies and dirtbikes. I dont say quads because i hate them :)

rod
04-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Lived in Eagle Mtn/Desert Center when I was younger. The place you are looking for is called Corn Springs. It's off the I-10, between Desert Center and Blythe about 5 miles south of the fwy. The last time I was out there, they had a porta-crapper and some picnic tables and some flat ground for a tent. Lots of quail out there too.

Rod

Shoot-it
04-10-2006, 11:28 AM
You might try the Clear Creek Recreation area near Coalinga/ New Idra...I ride out there and see people shooting as well. I'm not quite sure of the legality but its a idea.

Good luck.
Yes i was just going too mention it its allowed you can look it up on their wed site.www.blm.gov/ca/hollister/recreation.html then click on hunting and shooting. good luck.

bbq_ribs
04-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Do any of these places have a bear population?

I love camping, but damn it, I hate bears. :P

snobordr
04-10-2006, 1:12 PM
Do any of these places have a bear population?

I love camping, but damn it, I hate bears. :P

Makes me wonder if you need a license/permit for self-defense.

bbq_ribs
04-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Makes me wonder if you need a license/permit for self-defense.

Against bears? I'm not really sure, but if I recall correctly and you do have to shoot a bear in self defense, you have to report it to the rangers ASAP.