PDA

View Full Version : surpressor

islanderman7
03-07-2006, 10:46 AM
i was checking out surpressors for my 10/22 at john norrell arms. in cali, how would i stand against the law. legal or illegal? i was thinking, since its a rimfire, it might be legal.

GTKrockeTT
03-07-2006, 10:48 AM
you would be thinking incorrectly. ;)

ohsmily
03-07-2006, 11:05 AM
surpressor....WOW

grammaton76
03-07-2006, 2:06 PM
i was checking out surpressors for my 10/22 at john norrell arms. in cali, how would i stand against the law. legal or illegal? i was thinking, since its a rimfire, it might be legal.

If you're just looking for the "look", then there's always fake suppressor kits you can install legally. But if you want something that'll actually suppress - nope, you're outta luck there.

I've heard that the state does issue permits for them for coyote control in populated areas, though. Don't know what you have to do to get that, but I'm assuming it would only be folks who are part of the animal control department of a city.

Stanze
03-07-2006, 3:08 PM
.22LRs with subsonic ammo and long barrels are about as loud as a pellet/BB/airsoft/cap gun if not quieter. Regular ammo is not very loud as well 'cept for that distant 'crack'.

Even if you had a legal suppressor, it's not going to deaden the sonic boom of supersonic ammo.

ohsmily
03-07-2006, 4:40 PM
I've heard that the state does issue permits for them for coyote control in populated areas, though. Don't know what you have to do to get that, but I'm assuming it would only be folks who are part of the animal control department of a city.

No, civies can't get a suppressor for any purpose here in CA. However, law enforcement and gov't agencies aren't subject to this. So, if a game warden or some other officer needed it, there is a chance he could get a suppressor.

But CA is one of the few states that doesn't just make it hard to get a suppressor, it just isn't allowed. This is not the case with machine guns. Technically you CAn get signed off for a machine (Class III, etc), but it is nearly impossible whereas suppressors ARE impossible unless you are LEO.