PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP!! CORRUPT FILE

Blackhawk556
05-06-2010, 4:25 PM
Does anyone know of good software I can use to recover a word.docx file??
I think I'm S.O.L.

I have the document to a thumb drive but when i open it office says it can open it because some thing are missing. When i click on details it says file is corrupted.

I alread tried a couple of free software like docrepair but no luck. I tried this also
The Open and Repair feature is available from the Open dialog. To open and attempt a repair, click the Microsoft Office Button, click Open, and then navigate to the damaged file and click it once. Instead of clicking the Open button at the bottom right of the dialog to open the file, click the down arrow to the right of the button and select Open and Repair from the menu. If the file can be recovered, it will open and display in the document work area.
The Recover Text converter, if installed, is available from the Open dialog and appears in the Files of type drop down list. It appears in the drop down list as Recover Text from Any File (*.*).

any open source software that I should try out???????
Please :(:(

SmokinMr2
05-06-2010, 6:00 PM
Can you copy the file from the thumb drive to your hard drive?

I have had trouble opening a files on thumb drives that worked fine when copied to a hard drive.

armygunsmith
05-06-2010, 6:05 PM
If opening the file from your hard drive does not work, try opening the file with a text editor such as notepad or wordpad. You might be able to recover some of the text that way.

Blackhawk556
05-06-2010, 6:10 PM
Can you copy the file from the thumb drive to your hard drive?

I have had trouble opening a files on thumb drives that worked fine when copied to a hard drive.

If opening the file from your hard drive does not work, try opening the file with a text editor such as notepad or wordpad. You might be able to recover some of the text that way.

i am able to copy it over but it still won't open.

to open it with text editor will i have to chang the .docx to something else

Milsurp Collector
05-06-2010, 6:21 PM
to open it with text editor will i have to chang the .docx to something else

Right-click the file, select Open With -> WordPad, or Choose Program -> Notepad or WordPad

armygunsmith
05-06-2010, 6:22 PM
Yes, you can change the extension to .txt or you can right click on the file and select "open with". Then select browse or choose program. Then select a text editor from the list of applications. Make sure that when you choose which application you are going to open the file with that you uncheck "always use this program to open these files" or something very similar to that.

fdbizzle
05-06-2010, 6:23 PM
Try opening with Notepad. When you bring up the open file dialog, type *.* in the file name box

TWoods450
05-06-2010, 6:30 PM
if its not sensitive info, you can send it to my email and I can see if I can work my magic.

Blackhawk556
05-06-2010, 6:42 PM
Right-click the file, select Open With -> WordPad, or Choose Program -> Notepad or WordPad

Yes, you can change the extension to .txt or you can right click on the file and select "open with". Then select browse or choose program. Then select a text editor from the list of applications. Make sure that when you choose which application you are going to open the file with that you uncheck "always use this program to open these files" or something very similar to that.

ok i tried this and it didn't work :(
i tried opening it with word pad and a bunch of weird characters came out

TWoods450
05-06-2010, 7:44 PM
still working on it man, trying a few things..

and opening as txt doesn't work too well anymore with docx because its essentially an XML file.

Corbin Dallas
05-06-2010, 8:08 PM
Did you have a copy on your PC?

First I would check %temp% and see if a copy is in there.

If not, and depending on your filesystem (fat/ntfs) I would get a copy of GetBackFat or GetBackNTFS.

Google "hirens boot cd" v9.x (or whatever the latest is. There is a copy on there.

Blackhawk556
05-06-2010, 9:09 PM
Did you have a copy on your PC?

First I would check %temp% and see if a copy is in there.

If not, and depending on your filesystem (fat/ntfs) I would get a copy of GetBackFat or GetBackNTFS.

Google "hirens boot cd" v9.x (or whatever the latest is. There is a copy on there.

no, stupid me saved it only to the thumb drive :mad:

fdbizzle
05-06-2010, 9:20 PM
if u unhide system files/folders, might be ablet o see temp file

Blackhawk556
05-06-2010, 9:39 PM
still working on it man, trying a few things..

and opening as txt doesn't work too well anymore with docx because its essentially an XML file.

thanks i really appreciate it

RangerJoe
05-06-2010, 9:43 PM
do you happen to be on a mac? was the file created on mac? if so copy it to your desktop from the thumb-drive, change the .docx extension to .doc then double-click or click and drop onto the word app icon to see if it will open. try this on the (copied) original file (copied to your desktop), not the file you have tried everything else on.

Blackhawk556
05-06-2010, 10:06 PM
do you happen to be on a mac? was the file created on mac? if so copy it to your desktop from the thumb-drive, change the .docx extension to .doc then double-click or click and drop onto the word app icon to see if it will open. try this on the (copied) original file (copied to your desktop), not the file you have tried everything else on.

no not on Mac

I have not idea how this occured
next time ill know:o

thanks

TWoods450
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I have it running in DocRepair right now, its been going for 2 hours or so, not sure how long its supposed to take, I will leave the reapir running all night. I'll let you know what happens in the morning.

TWoods450
05-07-2010, 6:34 AM
no dice man, sorry, that recovery thing chugged away all nigth and still came back with nothing,

Corbin Dallas
05-07-2010, 11:11 AM
no, stupid me saved it only to the thumb drive :mad:

You can still attempt a recovery on the flash drive. Most all flash drives do not actually delete the program, merely re-distribute or re-allocate the space.

I've successfully recovered "deleted" files from my flash drive.

ke6guj
05-07-2010, 11:49 AM
.docx files are basically just .zip files with a bunch of .xml documents saved within it.

You could try changing the extension to .zip, extracting the files contained within, and see if you can extract the data you need from the .xml files.

xrMike
05-07-2010, 2:15 PM
.docx files are basically just .zip files with a bunch of .xml documents saved within it.

You could try changing the extension to .zip, extracting the files contained within, and see if you can extract the data you need from the .xml files.Interesting, I did not know that. It works exactly as you describe. The doc file is named "document.xml" in a folder named "word". You can open it with any text editor, or XML editor if you have one, but it will be a PIA extracting usable text, as there are way more XML tags than content.

ke6guj
05-07-2010, 2:26 PM
I remembered that from a Microsoft seminar when Office 2007 came out and they talked about the new -x formats in Office.

What the OP may be able to do is move the document.xml file from the corrupted .docx file into a new .docx file and then open the new .docx file and recover the data. That was one thing that Microsoft mentioned, that even if a .docx file got corrupted, since it was just a zip file, that some of the data could be recovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.docx

JDay
05-07-2010, 3:33 PM
Are you trying to open it with the same version of Office you saved it with? Different versions of Office have been known to have issues trying to open files that were created with a different version of Office.

TWoods450
05-07-2010, 4:45 PM
even as a zip its corrupted, zip repair pulls a few extra files out but not the usefull stuff, just template data. OP Sent me the file, I have tried opening it in office 2007, 2008, 2010, google docs. ran it through a docx utility... each time used a fresh copy of the file.

juicemansam
05-07-2010, 5:53 PM
I like challenges like this. If I may, I'd like a crack at this file.

Wherryj
05-07-2010, 6:14 PM
if its not sensitive info, you can send it to my email and I can see if I can work my magic.

If this doesn't work, or you want to try to figure it out yourself you might try the pcmech forums. These guys are pretty good at fixing issues and typically respond within minutes.

http://www.pcmech.com/forum/

Another option if you are in the east bay/tri-valley area is a shop named QES computers. They can fix most issues for a reasonable price and Lawrence is a great guy.

Blackhawk556
05-08-2010, 7:58 PM
. I've tried a bunch of software that i downloaded which claim to recover corrupted files. none of them worked.
I've tried opening with different programs and none will open the file. I'm going to try for one more 1hr, if i can't recover the data i'm going to have to give up.:(

:shrug:

thanks for all the suggestions