PDA

View Full Version : Sac (Elk Grove) local police inspecting C&R holders?

TonyNorCal
03-07-2006, 9:11 AM
This was posted over on Gunboards, but is obviously relevant here. Evidently an Elk Grove C&R holder got a call from his local police. They wish to inspect his collection. I wonder if this has anything to do with the lower situation (looking for anything illegally configured), particularly if the cops have FFL1s and 3s confused (see below*).

thread.... http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=152619

*For those who don't know. A C&R is a type of FFL (FFL 3) which allows one to aquire C&R designated firearms (limited in Cali to those 50 years of age or greater and no handguns).
A dealer (stores, modern firearms, process transfers) is an FFL 1.
As someone points out in the thread, it's possible the local cops don't know the difference between an FFL 3 and 1. However, even if they are intending to inspect all FFL1s it's still scary:eek: .

vtecteg4u
03-07-2006, 11:02 AM
That's utter BS. I would tell them to screw off until they came back with a warrant. I would like to see them try and get a warrant with no probable cause

blacklisted
03-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Not only is that BS, I don't believe it is legal for local law enforcement to inspect.

EBWhite
03-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Nope nope nope. They get a big old FU without a warrent. They are state police, they have no business checking up on something that is federal like the CR license. Hope that guy does not cave, i would not.

petey
03-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Have any other C&R licensees in this area have been contacted by the local police, or is it just this one person?

bwiese
03-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Refuse.
Have a lawyer on call if things start escalating. You did not sign anything letting the local LEOs dig thru your toys.

C&R FFLs are not a business. In fact, I believe that C&R FFL rules are relaxed enough that, should an audit/inspection be asked for by the BATF, you have the option of packing up your guns and going to their offices if you don't desire ATF agents milling about in your household.

Mike Searson
03-07-2006, 12:52 PM
C&R FFLs are not a business. In fact, I believe that C&R FFL rules are relaxed enough that, should an audit/inspection be asked for by the BATF, you have the option of packing up your guns and going to their offices if you don't desire ATF agents milling about in your household.

You don't even need to bring the guns...just the bound book.

They rarely home inspect an 03 ffl unless you're into those NFA grey areas...which you can't do in California anyway.

kenc9
03-07-2006, 6:06 PM
On this subject I called a large gun seller and indoor range (THE GUN ROOM Elk Grove 916-714-4867 ) and asked what the local PD was up to and he said it happens all the time and that they have the right three times a year to inspect your books and collection. He claimed they have the same right as ATF to do an inspection.

I have never heard of any thing like this before but I thought I would ask somebody that sees alot of FFL holders in that area and see what they knew. He said thats its no big deal 1/2 the time they don't know what they are even doing. WOW

-ken

meathead
03-07-2006, 6:06 PM
in order to get ffl c&r or gun smithing license you will have to get local license in which they have the rite just like atf doj to inspect yearly they usually give notice to you first but they dont even have to do that they can just show up if they want to

Rascal
03-07-2006, 6:14 PM
in order to get ffl c&r or gun smithing license you will have to get local license in which they have the rite just like atf doj to inspect yearly they usually give notice to you first but they dont even have to do that they can just show up if they want to

Can you show me what law states this? I would like to see it for myself. I saw no where in the C&R law that you have to get a local license to have a C&R license.

slowjonn
03-07-2006, 6:24 PM

That may be a City Municipal Code or something. I didn't have to get anything like that for mine. BTW, I'm in Corona.

Can'thavenuthingood
03-07-2006, 8:33 PM
Originally Posted by meathead
---------------------------------
Not so in Kings county either. I just gave the local Chief a copy of my FFL C&R application for their files and no further requiremnets exist. After four years I have not received a call from anyone antwhere to inspect or question me.

Maybe you are thinking of a business license?

Vick

metalhead357
03-07-2006, 10:03 PM
My (simple) guess here is that in the requirement to "notify" by letter the local authorities when you get/got a FFL03.....some dimwit pulled records for review and mistakenly thinks its a FFL01.

I'd suggest a lawyer first before calling getting ATF involved in a pissing match OR having BOTH federal AND Local authorities in your house and the topic of discussion in the meeting rooms for days and days............

But a simple call with some questions might of just cleared all this stuff up. Like Are you SURE you've got me down for an inspection? WHAT local ordinance is this pursuant to? and the like........

But my first guess is still that its a buracratic oversight....or a fishing expedition.

Jeff Rambo
03-07-2006, 10:45 PM
metalhead357 probably has the right answer. That was the first line of reasoning that popped up in my head upon reading this. Someone probably mistakenly mixed up an 03 with an 01 licensee.