PDA

View Full Version : Are you Desecrating the Flag?

00BuckShot
05-06-2010, 2:11 PM
OK so a little trivia for all of you.

I have been working with my new little Cub Scout, teaching him the correct treatment of the United States Flag. You don't have to answer these but maybe ask yourself, "Do I treat my Flag with respect and in the right manner?"

1) My Flag touched the ground do I need to destroy it?

2) My Flag is old and ready to be retired, what should I do?

3) Are there any penalties for violating the Flag Code?

4) Are flags on t-shirts, ties etc. really flags?

5) Where do I wear a lapel flag pin?

6) Should an American Flag be taken down during a rain storm?

7) Can I fly a flag at home 24 hours a day? (I found this one interesting.)

8) Can I fly a flag that has fewer than 50 stars?

9) What are the appropriate days to fly a flag? Half-staff days?

10) Is flying a flag horizontally (as at a football game) a voilation?

11) What are the rules for Homeowner/Condo associations?

12) What does the gold fringe on a flag represent?

13) Is it okay to display the flag upside down to protest the war, the government, the economy, crime, liquor licenses, etc.?

I'll only do 13 right now (13 stripes) but I'll do more later as well as post the correct answers if some of you smarties don't beat me to it. So how did you score?

shellyzsweet
05-06-2010, 2:28 PM
Lets see how I do....I have no military training or police or any official training, but my parents have a flag outside their house.....I'll give it a shot

No, its disrespectful but it does not need to be destroyed.....I think?

IIRC the flag code says to dispose of it respectfully....usually you burn it, or take it to a local fire dept. and they will dispose of it.

No?

No?

On your jacket chest colar thing over your heart on your left side

If it is classified as a "storm flag" or something like that then no you do not.

Yes? as long as it is displayed properly and is properly illuminated.

Yes, you are allowed to fly a historically accurate flag without 50 stars to represent a time before the 50 states...???

there are tons I'm sure....july 4th, memorial day, presidents day, veterans day, labor day....the list is long....

No, but you must display the flag with the liberty (the blue section) on the top, there are certain ways to display it with the liberty right vs. left and it depends on the main entrance to the building, but as I recall the liberty is always to the speakers left and the audiences right.....just guessing tho...

ummm....it is to be the highest or at equal height to all other flags, must be respectfully displayed, and illuminated in the dark

IIRC it represents military court or authority....for some reason the thought that in military court your guilty until innocent is in my mind but I don't think its related....but the flag on the moon has gold fringe as it was placed there by NASA which was under military command....I think.

13) Is it okay to display the flag upside down to protest the war, the government, the economy, crime, liquor licenses, etc.?
Technically yes you can due to 1st amendment rights however by flag code the only time to fly the flag upside down is on a ship or water vessel in distress

I'll only do 13 right now (13 stripes) but I'll do more later as well as post the correct answers if some of you smarties don't beat me to it. So how did you score?

Ill be interested to see how I did.....I expect some boy scout and military members to do a lot better, but I think I know more than the average person....

Manic Moran
05-06-2010, 2:37 PM
OK, let the Irish immigrant have a crack. (And yes, by memory.)

No.

Present it with a gold watch and chain and mail it to someone in Florida. Then shred it and burn it. Or bury it, but burning is preferred.

Technically, yes. It used to be purely voluntary, but was given the force of law a couple of years back. However, the penalties are academic as actions which are against the flag code have been held to be protected as acts of free speech.

Technically, no, they are images of the flag.

I would suggest on a lapel. Then again, I'm a bit of a rebel.

If it's an all-weather flag, no. Would kindof defeat the purpose of it being an all-weather flag, really.

Yes, if illuminated.

Can't see why not, especially if it's for historical or ceremonial purposes. Bear in mind that in that case, it is not the current flag of the US, so probably has about the same effect as flying the Gadsden Flag.

Whenever you want, I would submit. (Flag day, of course is traditional). Usually the federal government will designate a half-staff day as required, however local policies may dictate additional days.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Then again, I've never had any interest in American Football. Daft game.

Avoid if possible. Unless you have a controlling interest.
The practical applications seem to vary by location, but generally in the high-profile cases the HOA backs down on prohibiting the flag before it gets to a civil suit.

Supposedly it's reserved for military flags, though you'll often see it on courtroom flags for whatever reason. Looks fancier, I guess.

Yes. See above comment about the courts emphasising the right to free speech over adherence to the Flag code.

You tell me. I haven't looked!

NTM