PDA

View Full Version : delete

compulsivegunbuyer
05-06-2010, 12:52 PM
delete

sorensen440
05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
So you want to support the gun grabbers ?

Untamed1972
05-06-2010, 1:02 PM
Only if you swear to spend the money on a new gun or ammo or other gun related accessories.

choprzrul
05-06-2010, 1:17 PM
Actually, if we all turned POS guns and used up all the gun grabber's funds on crap guns, they wouldn't have the money to melt down grandpa's cherished family heirloom. Along those lines, I wonder if they will pay for bare receivers? If they would give $50 per receiver, I would be buying AK blanks by the palet and bending them up for turn in. Take the profit and buy guns and ammo with the anti's $$

Window_Seat
05-06-2010, 1:23 PM
While I'm sure someone will try and talk me out of it,

I might not "try" to talk you out of it, I can simply ask that you not support this kind of agenda. There may be other alternatives, and that is why CGN/F is here. Either way, I hope you find a positive solution.

Erik.

CHS
05-06-2010, 1:38 PM
Take the money and buy nothing but ammo :)

BONECUTTER
05-06-2010, 1:46 PM
What brand is it??? Most of the good companies can give you a new one with the same serial number on it.

CHS
05-06-2010, 1:53 PM
What brand is it??? Most of the good companies can give you a new one with the same serial number on it.

Although, if it's so out of spec as the OP says, it's probably one of the less reputable brands like a Vulcan or something. Good luck getting anything out of them.

Otherwise, yeah, try the original manufacturer first if they're still around.

bwiese
05-06-2010, 1:57 PM
Please don't do this.

Until we overturn things, God kills a kitten everytime someone deregisters an AW, surrenders a gun, or converts a legal hicap to locap.

A reg'd AW receiver is worth some engineering time -- perhaps bad parts can be cut out of it and it 'frames' a smaller correct internal support structure.

Jpach
05-06-2010, 1:58 PM
Actually, if we all turned POS guns and used up all the gun grabber's funds on crap guns, they wouldn't have the money to melt down grandpa's cherished family heirloom. Along those lines, I wonder if they will pay for bare receivers? If they would give $50 per receiver, I would be buying AK blanks by the palet and bending them up for turn in. Take the profit and buy guns and ammo with the anti's $$

Dude. You are a GENIUS. Awesome Idea. I wonder how many they would accept?

bodger
05-06-2010, 2:01 PM
It would be pretty funny to see the cops holding up a funky old stripped receiver and harping about how they've taken another assault weapon off the streets.

IrishPirate
05-06-2010, 2:04 PM
i wonder if we could get blocks of the melted down gun metal for cheap and then machine them into evil black rifles with the souls of all the murdered guns in each and every one....

thedrickel
05-06-2010, 2:39 PM
They would probably say "That's not even a gun. You can give it to us but we wont give you any money for it."

Lulfas
05-06-2010, 3:16 PM
Only if you swear to spend the money on a new gun or ammo or other gun related accessories.

I'm taking a severely cracked revolver my grandfather gave me before he passed away, turning it in for the visa card, then taking the money over to Firing Line and going shooting with my old man.

The Director
05-06-2010, 3:41 PM
I don't think I'd ever frequent one of those places - just don't have the stomach for it. And I've got some POS old guns too. Screw them. I'm not playing their game.

loather
05-06-2010, 4:35 PM
Just don't do it. Really, like bill said, kittens are dying because of this. Think of the kittens!

Every tally those idiots make on their charts is another tally they get to go to their bosses and say, "hey look, gun buybacks *WORK*!" -- this gets repeated up and up the chain and more and more of them start happening.

The bottom line is that we can't support this kind of activity. Even with the AK receiver flat idea. Let them keep their money -- there's always some uninformed or emotional asshat ready to give them more of it anyways. if the gun buybacks don't work, on the other hand, they'll stop doing them.

Every gun destroyed is a piece of history lost.

Maestro Pistolero
05-06-2010, 10:29 PM
What is it, an AR lower? Can't you transfer it to someone in another state where it's legal? If it's legal, transfer it to me herein Nevada and I'll transfer it back to you when the AW BS is overturned, if there aren't any legal pitfalls to it, of course. I don't want or need another AR, but If I could help . . .

Chatterbox
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I was selling a bunch of old Mosins for less then what I would've gotten at a gun buyback, and for a few moments a thought did crawl into my head - "You know, instead of restoring them and refinishing them to sell, you can just drive them over there and make more money for a lot less trouble". But then I thought that I'd be giving these rifles, which went through hell and back to people who'd destroy them...and banished that thought for good.

Pig Rifle
05-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Take the profit and buy guns and ammo with the anti's $$

Not all this money comes from Ralph's and Home Depot. YOUR tax dollars ARE being spent on this. Not to mention the officers being taken "off the street" for this goat rope.

tenpercentfirearms
05-07-2010, 6:03 AM
If a kitten dies every time you turn in an AR15 receiver, then I have a lot of receivers I am willing to turn in. In fact, I think we all ought to pony up at least one.

They will probably tell you they don't accept it. Especially when you show up with a t-shirt that says, "I am turning in my old junk guns so I can buy more ammo. Thanks liberals!"

truthseeker
05-07-2010, 6:37 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

tenpercentfirearms,

I love the idea of wearing a shirt like that, now, where can I buy one?

WokMaster1
05-07-2010, 6:55 AM
I don't think they do cash nowadays. It's a gift card for Peets Coffee. LOL!

FortCourageArmory
05-07-2010, 7:09 AM
Don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but we're going to try to buy some of those potential turn-ins tomorrow. We'll have a couple of guys screening the sellers and weeding out the junk. Hopefully we can keep the good ones in circulation and let the boat anchors go.

CCWFacts
05-07-2010, 8:24 AM
To the OP:

I understand where you're coming from on this. I have some old SKS mags, here legally, bought pre-1994 and kept in CA. They were crap when they were made. Now they're 20-year-old crap. And now there's no legal way for me to use them (if I attach it to an SKS I've manufactured an AW). So I would like to get rid of them.

But the case of a RAW is different. As BW said, there's a reason to keep the AW registration numbers as high as possible.

And even if it's out of spec, couldn't it possibly be used for some type of single-shot, like a 50 BMG?

McCrown
05-07-2010, 9:55 AM
Those SKS mags are still useable, a Yugo is not an SKS.

Maestro Pistolero
05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Can it be sold out of state, through an FFL, of course?

Cobrafreak
05-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I would rather make hanging art out of a piece of junk gun rather than get taxpayer money from a buy back program.

Sinixstar
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I might not "try" to talk you out of it, I can simply ask that you not support this kind of agenda. There may be other alternatives, and that is why CGN/F is here. Either way, I hope you find a positive solution.

Erik.

I don't see it so much as 'supporting the agenda' as much as I see it a means of capitalizing on someone else's stupidity.

In that sense, I say - if you think you can get more from a 'buyback' then you could on the open market - go for it.

CCWFacts
05-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Those SKS mags are still useable, a Yugo is not an SKS.

No, I think that is wrong, dangerously wrong!

The SKS mags use a screw to "permanently" attach to the rifle. If I attach one to a rifle (any semi-auto rifle, including Yugo or whatever) I have created a rifle with a high-capacity feeding device built in. I believe that converts the rifle itself into an AW.

If the mags didn't use this screw attachment, I think it would be fine. But they do have a screw attachment, and it's necessary to use it for them to function (they are a crap design, and the SKS was never designed for such things).

Can someone confirm if my logic is correct there? If that's right, then it means that these SKS mags are just ugly paperweights, unless I happened to have an SKS-RAW, which I don't have.

bwiese
05-07-2010, 11:18 AM
To the OP:
And even if it's out of spec, couldn't it possibly be used for some type of single-shot, like a 50 BMG?

Excellent point!!

CSACANNONEER
05-07-2010, 11:19 AM
AFAIK, buybacks will only accept FUNCTIONING firearms.

CCWFacts
05-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Excellent point!!

Thank you!

Rather than losing one of the ~100k RAWs in this state, wouldn't it be so much nicer to instead convert your ordinary-level evil paperweight into a hyper-evil 50 BMG baby seal killing death ray?

fairfaxjim
05-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm pretty sure that kittens are safe - for the time being at least. What is in great jeapordy are our rights to own and have reasonable use of our firearms. EVERY firearm, junk or not, that ends up in a buyback is another nail in the coffin of gun rights. It's not about taking their money, it's not about buying more guns, it's about making them fail at their goal of making guns look evil to the general public. A big turnout is a win for them - it's a headcount. You give them a gun, you are their tool!

Bravo to those who will try to buy the guns out from under them!! To be truly effective, we should be out there buying all the guns out from under them (junk guns too!) and making sure the world knows that those guns are being bought because guns are valuable, useful, not evil, and are not junk!

The best result for gunowners is for the buybacks to end with all their cash and empty garbage cans - no guns, no kodak moment, no press, only fail!

Sinixstar
05-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that kittens are safe - for the time being at least. What is in great jeapordy are our rights to own and have reasonable use of our firearms. EVERY firearm, junk or not, that ends up in a buyback is another nail in the coffin of gun rights. It's not about taking their money, it's not about buying more guns, it's about making them fail at their goal of making guns look evil to the general public. A big turnout is a win for them - it's a headcount. You give them a gun, you are their tool!

Bravo to those who will try to buy the guns out from under them!! To be truly effective, we should be out there buying all the guns out from under them (junk guns too!) and making sure the world knows that those guns are being bought because guns are valuable, useful, not evil, and are not junk!

The best result for gunowners is for the buybacks to end with all their cash and empty garbage cans - no guns, no kodak moment, no press, only fail!

15-20 years ago, I think this might have been a valid argument. Problem is, i just don't think anybody pays attention anymore. This is another one of those 'dog bites man' news stories that people breeze right past without a thought.

McCrown
05-07-2010, 12:07 PM
No, I think that is wrong, dangerously wrong!

The SKS mags use a screw to "permanently" attach to the rifle. If I attach one to a rifle (any semi-auto rifle, including Yugo or whatever) I have created a rifle with a high-capacity feeding device built in. I believe that converts the rifle itself into an AW.

If the mags didn't use this screw attachment, I think it would be fine. But they do have a screw attachment, and it's necessary to use it for them to function (they are a crap design, and the SKS was never designed for such things).

Can someone confirm if my logic is correct there? If that's right, then it means that these SKS mags are just ugly paperweights, unless I happened to have an SKS-RAW, which I don't have.

I am not an expert on that type of weapon system, but I believe that it can be made to accept detachable mags, and if yours are not a detachable type, what about a parts kit to some that are. Just some food for thought.

ETA: I am assuming that a Yugo is not listed as an SKS and is therefore similar to an OLL.

CCWFacts
05-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I am not an expert on that type of weapon system, but I believe that it can be made to accept detachable mags, and if yours are not a detachable type, what about a parts kit to some that are. Just some food for thought.

These are SKS mags with a long "nose" with a screw attachment on it. They don't work as detachable. Maybe someone made some modified AK mags, or a modified SKS magwell, that would work as detachables, but not mine.

Anyway, the SKS design is meant to work with its own built-in mag. The dynamics and forces are different in a "banana" shaped mag, and the information I have is that they don't work well under any circumstances. I believe the built-in SKS mag uses a pivot point to control the follower, something which is different from the design of a banana clip. In addition, the pressure in a fully-loaded 30-round mag is a lot higher than in a 10-round built-in mag. It doesn't seem possible for the SKS design to work reliably with a pressure that's so much out of its normal range.

Beyond that, I think SKSs are cool and look best in their original configuration. I have an AR-15. I don't need to bubaize an SKS.

And yes, a Yugo is pretty much an OLL. My understanding is that the bulk of "SKS"es which have been imported from various countries are not actually stamped SKS.

woodey
05-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Would a 26ga Flare pistol with a 12ga insert & Agulia minni shell?

CHS
05-07-2010, 1:31 PM

I don't know.. Would it?

CSACANNONEER
05-07-2010, 1:48 PM
:TFH:Would a 26ga Flare pistol with a 12ga insert & Agulia minni shell?

It would qualify as a zip gun under Ca law. Can you say FELONY to possess? As far as the buy back goes, pay your money and take your chances.

unusedusername
05-07-2010, 3:42 PM

Would it do what?

Most flare guns I've seen are made of molded plastic. I think it would just blow up if you put a 12ga shell in them.

Besides unless you are getting them used, a flare gun is gonna cost more then the $50 they give at a buyback.

B Strong
05-07-2010, 4:32 PM
While I'm sure someone will try and talk me out of it, I've got a reciever thats machined wrong in many places, and I am just not going to put hundreds of dollars into the thing to fix it. I have a couple RAW's, and this thing just is not that important to me. I was wondering if I brought it to the gun buyback, with the letter stating that it's a RAW, if I might get anything for it. While not a complete gun, It could easily be turned into a legal baby killing weapon of mass destruction.

Bringing in anything other than a crap firearm to a gun "buy-back" does nothing but feed the monster.

If the receiver is registered, keep it - it can't take up that much room in the safe to make getting rid of it a priority, and I'd rather see you use it for a friggin' paperweight than turn it in.

loather
05-07-2010, 5:56 PM
Bringing in anything other than a crap firearm to a gun "buy-back" does nothing but feed the monster.

Fixed it for you.

CSACANNONEER
05-07-2010, 6:40 PM
Would it do what?

Most flare guns I've seen are made of molded plastic. I think it would just blow up if you put a 12ga shell in them.

Besides unless you are getting them used, a flare gun is gonna cost more then the $50 they give at a buyback.

Most surplus and commercial grade flare guns are made of metal. Some of them have conversions available which are intended to shoot 12g flares. Then, there are those who have made flare gun conversions to shoot standard shotgun shells. They work in some flare guns but, it is illegal to use or even possess them here. I'm not sure about other states though.

CHS
05-07-2010, 6:46 PM
Most surplus and commercial grade flare guns are made of metal. Some of them have conversions available which are intended to shoot 12g flares. Then, there are those who have made flare gun conversions to shoot standard shotgun shells. They work in some flare guns but, it is illegal to use or even possess them here. I'm not sure about other states though.

I've got a very high-quality german-made flare gun that would absolutely work with low pressure pistol rounds if someone were to machine an adapter for it.

That would be wrong and illegal, so I won't do that. But it's pretty creepy what you can do with a $60 flare gun :)

loather
05-08-2010, 8:39 AM
I guess I'm gonna spred seeds all over it and make a Chia Reciever, or sink it in the fish tank with a little diver and bubbles comming out of it. It would make a nice door handle, or gear shift knob. I could stick a bulb in it and make it into a nite light. Hmmm, art it is.

haha, the lost city of AR15lantis. :)

Lulfas
05-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Went down to the one in Mission Hills. Was a line of about 200 cars are so waiting to get in. Gave up and came home.

RaceDay
05-08-2010, 10:21 PM
They just mentioned on the 11:00 news that the buyback ran out of money/gift cards (same thing happened last year) and got oodles of guns. The antis must be proud. They manage to get a bunch of guns for free since people still turn their stuff in after the gift cards run out.

Rob454
05-08-2010, 10:45 PM
It would be pretty funny to see the cops holding up a funky old stripped receiver and harping about how they've taken another assault weapon off the streets.

I doubt cops are that stupid. They will probably just laugh at you. They only want what they can identify as a actual rifle /pistol etc. I would just go get a bunch of old azz 60$ mosins that are beat within a inch of their life and turn those in for 100$ gift cards. The take the gift cards and go buy ammo and other guns.

Riodog
05-09-2010, 1:41 AM
ANYONE that turns in ANYTHING in a "gun buy back" is nothing more than a TOOL for the "other side".
#1. Get outta my life!
#2. Learn to spell!
Rio

Beelzy
05-09-2010, 6:21 AM
ANYONE that turns in ANYTHING in a "gun buy back" is nothing more than a TOOL for the "other side".
#1. Get outta my life!
#2. Learn to spell!
Rio

^This

Cobrafreak
05-09-2010, 8:21 AM
Instead of a gun buy back, what if it was an American Flag Buy Back? Can't have potentially offensive American Flags hanging on homes would we? Flags cause problems in society. All wars are due to patriotism in some form. Take away the flags-take away the wars. Some would take in actual worn out flags, but others would take in perfectly fine flags to be destroyed for a "gift card". Hypothetical but still hits the nerve. People are getting "gift cards" for turning in their freedom. Sickening.

Cobrafreak
05-09-2010, 7:51 PM
bump