PDA

View Full Version : Sent in my LEGR

Choptop
03-07-2006, 6:19 AM
It went out yesterday. Seems pretty clear to me... the DOJ has said the lowers are being held as evidence in an investigation, the LEGR is a form that requests the release of firearms being held as evidence.

The only cavet is that you have to pass the background check for elidgability to own a firearm... and I did that when I purchased them.

here is what the DOJ says about it all (my emphasis added):

Individuals seeking the return of a firearm(s) that is in the custody or control of a court or law enforcement agency must submit a LEGR Application along with the appropriate fees to the Department of Justice (DOJ). A firearms eligibility check will be conducted to determine if the applicant is lawfully eligible to possess firearms. A notice of the results will be sent to the applicant. The notice must be presented to the court or agency within thirty (30) days of the date of the notice.

looks like the Milpitas lower qualify. Looks like I qualify. I want my firearms back. Once the DOJ says I pass a background check, I will take the notice to the DOJ and request my property.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

has anyone else submitted one?

6172crew
03-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Way to be proactive, its to bad they are making it a pain in the arse to get your receivers back.

zenthemighty
03-07-2006, 10:16 AM
So does the DoJ commit a federal felony if they release the lowers to you without proper completion of the dros?

artherd
03-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Hrm great idea, I will open this line of questioning tommorow.

TurboKaveman
03-08-2006, 2:28 PM
where did you get the LEGR form? I just sent my letter in today, but no clue about a LEGR...

Help a brother out. :D

TurboKaveman
03-08-2006, 2:30 PM
nevermind, here it is.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/legr.pdf

fun2none
03-08-2006, 3:09 PM
From the FD119 LEGR form:

If the agency or court determines the firearm was reported stolen pursuant to Penal Code section 12021.3(b)(3), the fees for the stolen firearm(s) will be waived.

It would be ironic if the processing fees were to be waived on the grounds that firearm was stolen -- by the same very law enforcment agency that is took it in the first place.

dbol
03-08-2006, 3:36 PM
I actually like this idea more than just sending a letter to the DOJ. They are required to process and respond to the LEGR form within 30 days (although it will cost you $20 to file it).

I'm curious, Choptop, what did you put on your LEGR as "incident/case number"?

Choptop
03-08-2006, 4:06 PM
read the site again... I think (and I could be wrong) it says... YOU have 30 days from the time yo get the results of your background check and the notice from the DOJ (one in the same) to take the notice to the LEO agency that has your firearm.

I dont think is says the DOJ has 30 days the respond to your LEGR.

for Case# I put "unknown - RMB"

if it gets kicked back as an incomplete application, I will call the DOJ until they either give me an internal investigation #, case # or something of the sort. They are claiming the lowers are being held as evidence in an investigation, so there MUST be a case #... right?

dbol
03-08-2006, 4:32 PM
read the site again... I think (and I could be wrong) it says... YOU have 30 days from the time yo get the results of your background check and the notice from the DOJ (one in the same) to take the notice to the LEO agency that has your firearm.

I dont think is says the DOJ has 30 days the respond to your LEGR.

I should have been more explicit, the 30 day thing comes from Section 12021.3(e)(3), which gives the DOJ 30 days to complete the background check in connection with a LEGR.

From Section 12021.3:
"(3) The department shall have 30 days from the date of receipt to
complete the background check unless delayed by circumstances beyond
the control of the department. The applicant may contact the
department to inquire about the reason for the delay."

TurboKaveman
03-09-2006, 11:51 PM
yeah, just sent in the LEGR form as well. Does our DROS count as the "eligibility" you mentioned, or do we have to do a COE (certificate of eligibility)?