PDA

View Full Version : anyone here filed a Freedom of Information Request ?

Whoa Nellie
05-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I am looking to make one myself with the Treasury Dept.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Just go to the Treasury Department's website and look for a link that says "FOIA" (Freedom Of Information Act) and it will give you the instructions. Some agencies have their FOIAs handled by the Department of the Interior, so you may want to check there.

Be as specific as you can in what you ask for in your letter. And do not forget to date it and address it to the proper person, and state in your letter something to the effect of "This is a request pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act." Also, be advised that they charge for such requests. They should give you an estimate beforehand to which you can agree or decline. It can range from several dollars to several thousand dollars depending on your request.

Hope that helps.

OlderThanDirt
05-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I filed one with FEMA over their "erroneous" flood zone designations. They basically sent me everything except for what I requested at a cost of a few hundred bucks. Fortunately, they accidentally sent one of the maps that I requested to a local TV station that made my case that they were fraudulently including properties located in a 500 year flood zone within the 100 year flood zone, thus kicking in the flood insurance requirement. FEMA promptly rescinded the new flood map and is reworking the issue, hopefully honestly this time (I don't believe it was an honest mistake since they also changed a redevelopment property right next to the river from a 100 year flood zone to a non-flood zone).