PDA

View Full Version : Deadbeat Dad & Gun Rights

jaq
05-06-2010, 7:15 AM
Greetings Kind Calgunners :-)

I have a question that I hope some of the learned here can shed some light upon. A relative (in-law) got behind on his child support payments about five years ago. As a result he got in trouble and the Dept. of Child Support Services has been garnishing his wages and other income (tax refunds) ever since. I don't know any more details than that. My limited knowledge of these things leads me to believe that this situation is commonly referred to as a "Deadbeat Dad" situation. He has been struggling to find work after being laid off about a year ago. Yesterday he called to ask if he could borrow my Glock because he got accepted to "the academy", and therefore will be required to have one for the firearms portion of the training. We don't know what organization hired him. We have a hard time believing any LEA would hire a Deadbeat Dad.

Is a "Deadbeat Dad" a prohibited person? Can a "Deadbeat Dad" purchase a handgun?

Thank you in advance for your kind consideration ;)

halifax
05-06-2010, 7:36 AM
"Fugitive from Justice" is a prohibited catagory. If there are any outstanding court decrees, they will show up in the BG check.

Seahawk
05-06-2010, 7:43 AM
Stuff happens. However, to answer your question, last I looked, I did not see a box on the firearms application asking: "Are you a deadbeat dad"? However, I would still say no to his request.

Call_me_Tom
05-06-2010, 7:54 AM
Sounds suspect to me. The department or academy he is attending would provide him with a firearm. Also, in todays job market being a "deadbeat dad" would be hard to overcome in obtaining a job with a LE department.

AJAX22
05-06-2010, 8:13 AM
Which department/academy is he going through that does not furnish firearms?

Untamed1972
05-06-2010, 8:25 AM
Getting accepted to an academy does not automaitcally mean he has been hired by an LEA and is being sponsored thru the academy. It is possible for one to enroll in an academy at any number of CA community colleges and sponsor himself thru as an open enrollee which then would require him to supply his own gear.

But, I would definitely ask alot more questions before loaning out a weapon.

Actually in times of tight budgets agencies, especially smaller ones, tend to hire more academy grads (ie those who put themselves thru the academy) because it saves them alot of money on the cost of training you. You show up with your academy cert and they can put you right into field training vs. having to spend 6-8 months worth of salary cost to put you thru the academy.

But even if the alleged deadbeat dad did put himself thru an academy it is unlikely that with a track record like was described above he would ever get hired anywhere.

littlejake
05-06-2010, 8:33 AM
I went through Rio Hondo class 60. They did not provide a weapon.

Actually getting hired requires an extensive background investigation; and the person described by the OP would never get hired.

"You must obey the law if you are going to enforce the law"

I don't loan my firearms to anyone -- even a best friend.

boxbro
05-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Loaning out your gun is bad juju.
If you really feel bad, lend him the money to buy his own and go with him to purchase it to make sure he isn't BS'ing.

MP301
05-06-2010, 8:48 PM
Fud

If he is current on monthly CS and is making payments on the arrears, he is not considered a dead beat. They changed the system a long time ago making it mandatory to attach wages whether you paid prefect previously or not. They did this to take away the stigma of getting your wages attached in the first place because people were quitting their jobs every time the CS caught up with them.

How you can tell if someone is not going along with the program is when thy get their drivers license suspended...thats the first thing to go...along with any other state issued permit or license.

If your just ignoring the county on your CS, they will get around to issuing a warrant for your arrest to drag you into court to force you to comply.

jaq
05-06-2010, 9:32 PM
Gentlemen, I thank you one and all for your responses. You have helped flesh this out significantly.

I get terribly frustrated with my fellow Calgunners' views sometimes. But this community always comes through on the important things. And I am grateful for the reminder of what a valuable group this is and all of you make it that way :)

Alright, enough with the soppiness! Onward, and Damn the Torpedoes!
:43:;)

Doheny
05-06-2010, 9:56 PM
Make sure he's not wanting to borrow the gun to shoot his ex wife as a way to end his child support (stranger things have happened.)

As mentioned, he could have been accepted to an academy at a community college, but those usually have waiting lists and if he's a close friend, I would think you woulda heard about his interest in such before now.

Frankly, he's not likely to get hired by a LEA if he has a history of not paying his obligations, especially child support.

Midnightblue 72
05-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Just throwing it out, Riverside County does not provide a weapon.

Number 2, if you dont pay in Riverside County, it doesnt go to warrant straight away.

Example, I was a full custody dad from the time Jr was 5 until he was 18.

My ex owed me support from the time he was 5-12. I brought this to the attention of the judge and he slapped her with nearly a $600.00 increase.

When the judge asked me about the arrears, he was given the proof that she was $16,000.00 in arrears. She was never arrested. She never had a warrant issued. When I finally got the Child Support Divison to help, I received nothing but attitude from those ugly, fat, divorced, single mom's working behind the desk.

If it would have been me that owed, I can assure you, I would have been made an example out of.

unusedusername
05-08-2010, 2:53 AM
Never loan a gun.

PPT it to him if you want to loan it. The background check will tell you for sure if he is prohibited.

If he decides to return it after the "loan" he can PPT it back.

leelaw
05-08-2010, 3:06 AM
Demand a copy of his firearms clearance letter (he's required to get one after livescan fingerprinting before he can take any POST academy involving firearms). That will be your assurance that he can lawfully possess the handgun.

Other than that - the firearm may be infrequently loaned to someone known to you personally for up to 30 days.

anthonyca
05-08-2010, 6:05 AM
Make sure he's not wanting to borrow the gun to shoot his ex wife as a way to end his child support (stranger things have happened.)

As mentioned, he could have been accepted to an academy at a community college, but those usually have waiting lists and if he's a close friend, I would think you woulda heard about his interest in such before now.

Frankly, he's not likely to get hired by a LEA if he has a history of not paying his obligations, especially child support.

He might just be the sheriff of the OC.

whitey
05-08-2010, 9:59 AM
Just throwing it out, Riverside County does not provide a weapon.

Number 2, if you dont pay in Riverside County, it doesnt go to warrant straight away.

Example, I was a full custody dad from the time Jr was 5 until he was 18.

My ex owed me support from the time he was 5-12. I brought this to the attention of the judge and he slapped her with nearly a $600.00 increase.

When the judge asked me about the arrears, he was given the proof that she was $16,000.00 in arrears. She was never arrested. She never had a warrant issued. When I finally got the Child Support Divison to help, I received nothing but attitude from those ugly, fat, divorced, single mom's working behind the desk.

If it would have been me that owed, I can assure you, I would have been made an example out of.

Welcome to the ( New Girls Order ) NGO

GrizzlyGuy
05-08-2010, 10:21 AM
For future reference, DOJ's document that summarizes the prohibiting offenses/conditions is linked to from here in the FAQ:

How can I find out if I'm eligible to purchase or possess a firearm?
(http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#How_can_I_find_out_if_I.27m_eligible_to_purcha se_or_possess_a_firearm.3F)

cr250chevy
05-08-2010, 2:59 PM
Getting accepted to an academy does not automaitcally mean he has been hired by an LEA and is being sponsored thru the academy. It is possible for one to enroll in an academy at any number of CA community colleges and sponsor himself thru as an open enrollee which then would require him to supply his own gear.

But, I would definitely ask alot more questions before loaning out a weapon.

+1, many people put themselves through an academy, they are known as "Non-affiliates" and HAVE NOT go through a background check.

My personal recommendation, NEVER lend out a gun...