PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm running for the CRPA: Calgunners, I need your support! (Deadline June 4)

wildhawker
05-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I'd like to take a moment to thank Mr. Hoffman for introducing this slate of petitioning candidates to the CRPA 2010 ballot. His leadership, I'm quite certain, will further benefit CRPA and all of us as a result. This is CRPA's first opportunity for a truly democratic election to install a body of leaders with the vision, energy and competence required to bring it into the 21st century, and we will owe it to Mr. Hoffman and all of you who participate in the process.

If I may be so bold, it would be an honor to further serve the gun owners of this state alongside Mr. Henslin, Mr. Nordberg, Mr. Oey, Mr. Thomas and Mr. Thomason and other forthcoming nominees, as well as our good friends at CRPA, as a member of the Board of Directors for our NRA state affiliate organization, the California Rifle and Pistol Association.

It's exciting to think that within a very short time, the same type of creative, passionate and skilled people who brought us such things as the OLL revolution, a real grassroots outreach program and a foundation which does and will continue to advance our rights in the courts can help to make this improving organization even better.

If you’ll allow me to earn your trust and support, I promise to work diligently for you, for all Californians, that we may one day enjoy those precious liberties we hold so dear. If anyone is interested, I’d love to discuss my plans going forward in this initiative and how we can and will achieve great things together. Please feel free to contact me via email or PM and I’ll reply with my personal phone number.

My bio and instructions on how to fill out the petitions and get them back to Mr. Hoffman are located here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=297877). Please consider helping me and these qualified others lead California’s NRA affiliate organization so we can roll up our sleeves and get to work rolling back the onerous gun control laws, those roadblocks to freedom that we must outmaneuver and then demolish. I thank you for your time, and ask for your signature and support today.

-Brandon Combs

Link to CRPA Memberships (http://www.crpa.org/_e/dept/01/Join_CRPA-1-2.htm) ($22/yr, $57/3yr, $83/5yr, $325/life)

nicki
05-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Brandon has done more grassroots effort and has gone beyond the call of duty. He is humble, so I will blow his horn for him.

Brandon has targeted to get Calguns to 100 thousand or more active members, building a strong working alliance with the CRPA would futher those goals.

The CRPA needs leaders who are ready and willing to go on offense in a post Heller/MacDonald world.

The CRPA needs leaders who don't have tunnel vision or who are risk averse.

Brandon meets all the criteria

Nicki

rp55
05-06-2010, 8:22 AM
Delighted to help out. One question. For the first time last year I purchased a Family membership in CRPA and listed my wife as something like an associate or family member. Can she sign the petitions as well?

bwiese
05-06-2010, 8:32 AM
Brandon's work for outreach for CGF and Calguns has been tireless & amazing.

He's spent a lot of his own coin "getting stuff done". When something's needed to happen, it's happened. I can't think of a better rep for CA gun owners, helping to get CA's official state rifle association up to the next level.

hoffmang
05-06-2010, 4:24 PM
Delighted to help out. One question. For the first time last year I purchased a Family membership in CRPA and listed my wife as something like an associate or family member. Can she sign the petitions as well?

I think you'd have to call the office (http://www.crpa.org/contact.aspx) to see if she's at a voting membership level or not.

-Gene

trashman
05-06-2010, 5:52 PM
Brandon is a class act all the way -- we are very, very fortunate to have his abilities and energies working for us!

--Neill

Experimentalist
05-06-2010, 6:44 PM
I've met Brandon, been shooting with him up at Chabot, and have talked to him about a number of gun-related subjects.

He has the drive, smarts, and talent to excel in whatever he chooses.

He has my vote.

wildhawker
05-06-2010, 9:38 PM
Thank you all, especially those who were with me from the beginning. From the first time I met everyone at the Nordyke dinner, I knew this was a special organization, much like extended family - and in many cases closer than family.

Your support means the world to me, and I am very grateful for those whom I call friends.

I'm ready to work hard, and work for you. Calgunners, please sign and return those petitions (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/crpa-board/2010-CRPA-P+C-Candidates-Petition-Package.pdf) today!

Send the form to me using one of the following methods:
1. Scan 6 (or more) pages and email to hoffmang@hoffmang.com
2. Fax to 650-264-4701 (no cover sheet necessary)
3. Mail or courier to Gene Hoffman 3200 Bridge Parkway Suite 202 Redwood City, CA 94065.

dantodd
05-06-2010, 9:42 PM
Thank you all, especially those who were with me from the beginning. From the first time I met everyone at the Nordyke dinner, I knew this was a special organization, much like extended family - and in many cases closer than family.

You know, I left my wine bottle carrier at that dinner.... If I were a CRPA member you'd have my vote.

GuyW
05-06-2010, 11:08 PM
If you’ll allow me to earn your trust and support...

NO, thanks - San Diego is already sick of you crapping on us....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=297435

(NRA / CRPA Life member)

Alaric
05-07-2010, 1:19 AM
NO, thanks - San Diego is already sick of you crapping on us....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=297435

(NRA / CRPA Life member)

I've met Brandon and found him to be personable and intelligent. Seems like a nice enough guy.

However, his recent new attacks on Jay laSuer are troubling, especially since he (by his own admission (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4249817&postcount=33)) agreed not to anymore. If he'll back down on a pledge like that, what makes us believe he won't back out on other promises?

wildhawker
05-07-2010, 3:04 AM
I'm ready and willing to work alongside you both for the advancement of gun rights throughout California; if how I view a singular candidate, and especially those dangerous (and historically damaging) segments of the "gun rights movement" who recently endorsed them, would disqualify me from serving you in your opinion, then I'll look forward to working on your behalf without your support. Hopefully we can one day see past a small local election and focus again on the big picture - restoring gun rights and creating a gun-friendly culture for all Californians.

GuyW
05-07-2010, 8:10 AM
Hopefully we can one day see past a small local election

More elitist bloviation - to those of us in San Diego, this is a BIG election.

....so, don't hold your breath...

Californio
05-07-2010, 8:22 AM
I am voting the CalGuns Foundation Ticket, all six petitions are in the mail.:)

pennys dad
05-07-2010, 6:59 PM
Mine will be in the mail Saturday, Calguns Foundation for the win!!

Mstrty
05-07-2010, 7:28 PM
I've met Brandon and found him to be personable and intelligent. Seems like a nice enough guy.

Just dont have your own opinion that contradicts his opinion. It could possibly be a case of....there are no correct opinions other than mine syndrome.

As far as his niceness or intelligence. I sincerely belive he means well.

CRPA=Life Member

Window_Seat
05-07-2010, 8:07 PM
Does one have to be a life member to vote in these elections?

There are 58 counties in California. Your single issue vote in one election that affects the futures outcome of one county doesn't matter when the outcome of a court case ultimately affects what every single Sheriff or CLEO is required to do.

CCW Shall Issue is expected to happen within the next 1.5 years, and that is coming from the mouths of the expert legal council here at CGN/F. When (not if) that happens, Hutchins, Ahern, et all will be required to issue CCWs to you and me. What are the "other issues"? I am (BION) just as much (if not more) interested in how the Sheriff enforces good/bad laws that are on the books, and what they lobby in favor of and against.

Erik; looking at the big picture

kcbrown
05-07-2010, 9:06 PM
CCW Shall Issue is expected to happen within the next 1.5 years, and that is coming from the mouths of the expert legal council here at CGN/F. When (not if) that happens, Hutchins, Ahern, et all will be required to issue CCWs to you and me. What are the "other issues"? I am (BION) just as much (if not more) interested in how the Sheriff enforces good/bad laws that are on the books, and what they lobby in favor of and against.

When the SO issues a CCW, they don't just hand you a generic slip of paper -- they hand you one that has (or may have) a bunch of restrictions enumerated on it. As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), the specific restrictions can vary on an individual level.

The principles the sheriff adheres to will determine what those restrictions are. Those sheriffs who really do believe in 2A will likely place no restrictions on them, whereas those that don't will likely place severe restrictions on them (unless the person being issued to is "special").

One would think such a thing could not withstand an equal protection challenge. But in a way, you roll the dice every time you go to court. Nothing is for sure there. We did get Slaughterhouse, after all.

The corrupt sheriffs will do everything they can to maximize their power and control. That much you can bank on. That means the CCWs they issue will have as many restrictions as they can possibly place on them. And someone is going to have to successfully fight them, such that the courts take away all of the sheriff's discretionary power over CCW.

That won't be necessary in counties where the sheriff is pro-2A. Just as it's generally better to prevent a bad bill from becoming law rather than fight it in court afterwards, it's almost certainly better to put the most pro-2A sheriff available into power where possible. That's true even if shall-issue CCW is coming to a state near you.

If you have doubts about Brandon's views on 2A, then don't vote for him. If you have doubts about his judgment relative to the other candidates on the ballot, then don't vote for him. But everyone's entitled to their opinion and to express their opinion. Even Brandon. :)

Window_Seat
05-07-2010, 9:21 PM
When the SO issues a CCW, they don't just hand you a generic slip of paper -- they hand you one that has (or may have) a bunch of restrictions enumerated on it. As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), the specific restrictions can vary on an individual level.

From this discussion (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=289642):

Gray,

Places like CA & IL will comply about as well as DC did after Heller. Put in a whole bunch of new requirements & laws that need to be fought. etc. It will happen but not as fast as many hope. Given that the 9th Circuit is not considered pro 2A doesn't help matters.

Example: "Sure Mr/Ms Federal Judge, we will get right on the shall-issue thing". CCW changed to reflect shall-issue. New training requirement - complete full 832 PC course, shooting test nobody can pass, psych exam. Oh, & we had to lay everyone off due to the budget crises so processing time is 2-3 years.

Federal judges have put sheriffs in jail for contempt for a lot less. Once carry is identified as a civil right, the idea that the above could happen is ludicrous. Remember that DC had a complete and total handgun registration ban. You also have to consider the fact that there are 40K CCW holders, especially the well off and politically powerful types (especially ones issued in the bay area and LA area) are not going to tolerate that kind of crap. They have a lot of money, lots of it, are very politically powerful, and while they may not like the idea of "normal people having guns", they hate suddenly seeing their CCW's become worthless with a lot of restrictions.

Hopefully you're right, and I'm optimistic this will be the case, HOWEVER...

All the Legislature/Sheriff/CLEO has to do is continue "the legacy", and make 2, 3, 4, or even more types of CCWs, one which is unlimited, and others that are full of restrictions, and leave the ones already issued alone, while going to work on the others which are virtually worthless. We have to think like they do, history tells us that we have to, no? The Judge(s) in the Sykes case will need lots of time to draft their opinion(s), and we (at CGN/F) must be pro-active.

Erik; thinking ahead.

All of which are massive equal protection violations, all directly on point with Sykes.

Erik; staying optimistic.

kcbrown
05-07-2010, 10:29 PM
From this discussion (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=289642):

Yes, I did mention the equal protection challenges that would ultimately arise from that sort of behavior on the part of sheriffs.

Again, nothing is ever entirely certain when you head off to court, even when it's the Supreme Court (see Slaughterhouse, Cruikshank, Kelo, etc.).

The point isn't that we won't be in a significantly better position after McDonald (we surely will), it's that despite McDonald, it is still better to have a pro-2A sheriff in office. McDonald and Sykes increase the odds that we'll get shall-issue CCWs without any restrictions. They do not guarantee it.

blackberg
05-07-2010, 11:11 PM
I have been dragging my feet on joining....but will join this weekend to vote for Brandon.

-bb

barrym66
05-07-2010, 11:19 PM
You have my support.

Done - CRPA membership in the mail tomorrow and the petition sig will be taken care of as soon as my membership app payment has cleared.

ivanimal
05-08-2010, 7:50 AM
Brandon, good luck with the election. You get my vote!

CRACKERJACK
05-08-2010, 1:05 PM
I'm ready and willing to work alongside you both for the advancement of gun rights throughout California; if how I view a singular candidate, and especially those dangerous (and historically damaging) segments of the "gun rights movement" who recently endorsed them, would disqualify me from serving you in your opinion, then I'll look forward to working on your behalf without your support. Hopefully we can one day see past a small local election and focus again on the big picture - restoring gun rights and creating a gun-friendly culture for all Californians.

And all we wanted to know was what your alternative was, and all we got was "the big picture." If you want to lead or change peoples minds, you must provide an alternate route. All you were there to do was bash. I won't hold this against you as I've been butt hurt before against someone and I'll surely be again. Hopefully you can keep a head on your shoulders and provide leadership and direction in the future.

CRPA annual member, and will continue being one until I can afford life.

TKM
05-08-2010, 1:20 PM
Faxed in my support yesterday.

It's going to be great when "the right people" really are the right people

wildhawker
05-08-2010, 3:36 PM
Cracker, I will absolutely be responding within 24 hours, and thank you for your patience. The question deserves a substantive response, and that's what I intend to offer.

obeygiant
05-08-2010, 8:21 PM
Who is Brandon?

never mind, i figured it out. you have my vote. ;)

obeygiant
05-08-2010, 8:38 PM
For anyone that missed Gene's thread that is stickied at the top of 2A, here are the instructions.

Please find a prepared package of Petitions (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/crpa-board/2010-CRPA-P+C-Candidates-Petition-Package.pdf) to elect 6 members of the Calguns community to the CRPA Board of Directors in the Programs & Coalitions Development Committee. The 6 are Brandon Combs (wildhawker), Ben Henslin (obeygiant), Paul Nordberg (Kestryll), Fred Oey (FastFinger), Brett A. Thomas (the_quark), and Kevin L. Thomason (Oaklander.) I'll include their bios in a following post in this thread.

Instructions:

Download the PDF package of petitions for (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/crpa-board/2010-CRPA-P+C-Candidates-Petition-Package.pdf) the 6 candidates. If you have problems with the PDF Package, you can download each petition individually here (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/crpa-board/). This is a fillable PDF Form. if you are only signing for yourself, Place your name in "Name of Circulator." Place 1's in "Page __ of __" to make it say "Page 1 of 1" if that is correct. Place the date in "Date Signed", your name and residence (preferably where CRPA thinks you live), and your CRPA member number as well as date of birth in the first line. Print all 6. Sign on the first line and at the bottom above "Signature of Circulator". Note that you can and should certainly circulate to any friends who are CRPA members too.

Send the form to me using one of the following methods:
1. Scan 6 (or more) pages and email to hoffmang@hoffmang.com
2. Fax to 650-264-4701 (no cover sheet necessary)
3. Mail or courier to Gene Hoffman 3200 Bridge Parkway Suite 202 Redwood City, CA 94065.

Please try to get these back to me by June 4, 2010 we have time to get everything pulled together with plenty of time before the due date. I will track the count and forward to CRPA on the 15th.

Questions:

1. How were these people chosen/why isn't well known Calgunner X on the list?

There already are other Calgunners on CRPA board committees as a committee member which usually leads to them being elected as a director. As such the list of candidates doesn't reflect folks (like Bill Wiese or me) who are or will likely be on the board. Also, due to the required geographic balance in the CRPA bylaws, we've chosen three northern Californians and three southern Californians.

2. What does "I understand that signing more than one petition for any nominee for this California Rifle and Pistol Association Board of Directors election is prohibited" mean?

You may sign one time for any one specific CRPA member who is being petitioned for. You can sign as many different petitions for different candidates for the other board openings. AKA: Yes, you can sign all 6 petitions once.

3. Do I have to be a CRPA member?

Yes you do. Your member number will be checked to make sure you are valid. Please don't sign if you're not a member. You however do not have to have been a member for any amount of time. Feel free to join today (http://www.crpa.org/dept.aspx?dept_id=01) and then sign the petition (I don't think you can use a "3 month free" membership, but any of the usual paying memberships are good enough). If you do sign up to sign the petition you will need to contact the CRPA office to get your member number. If you can't recall/find your member number, you can also just call the CRPA office (http://www.crpa.org/contact.aspx) during normal business hours.

-Gene

Alaric
05-08-2010, 11:35 PM
And all we wanted to know was what your alternative was, and all we got was "the big picture." If you want to lead or change peoples minds, you must provide an alternate route. All you were there to do was bash. I won't hold this against you as I've been butt hurt before against someone and I'll surely be again. Hopefully you can keep a head on your shoulders and provide leadership and direction in the future.

CRPA annual member, and will continue being one until I can afford life.

Cracker, I will absolutely be responding within 24 hours, and thank you for your patience. The question deserves a substantive response, and that's what I intend to offer.

Quoted for follow up.

lavgrunt
05-09-2010, 4:11 PM
As a CRPA board member and officer, I would be extremely pleased to see people as dedicated as Brandon on the board! I have no doubt that he and I would work great together for ALL California gun owners!

I strongly encourage your support for 'Wildhawker'....!!!

Seesm
05-09-2010, 4:38 PM
I would support you in most anything your doing Brandon!! I need to learn more fast on this... PM me some more info if you can BC!!

bwiese
05-09-2010, 7:55 PM
I need that special brand of caffeine that Brandon has.

wildhawker
05-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Please find below my reply thread to the request for a viable alternative to Jay LaSuer.

-Brandon

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=299545

obeygiant
05-22-2010, 10:22 PM
BTT for a very important and time sensitive issue.

wildhawker
05-24-2010, 6:56 PM
Bringing this to the surface again - it's important that we do our part to steer the future of gun rights. Everyone reading this, I hope you'll join me and make the new CRPA *our* CRPA.

CRPA members, please sign and return the petitions today! Non-members, go sign up here (http://www.crpa.org/dept.aspx?dept_id=01), it's a great way to make $22 go a long way for CA gun rights.

Download the petitions here: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BzuDXQ308KnoZDMyMTdkMjMtZmJkZS00NDViL WE0MjItOTg2NTY2YzExODli&hl=en

Form Instructions

Note: This Adobe PDF file is a “fillable” form; it can either be printed on paper and filled in by hand or typed directly into the form in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader. All fields you type into the first page will automatically be copied to the other 5 petition pages.

1. Fill in the “Name of Circulator” on each of the 6 petitions.

2. Unless you collect more than 13 CRPA members’ signatures on each page, each page of the form should read “Page 1 of 1” in the top right corner (the form can have only one signature - there need not be more than one to be a valid petition).

3. The “Date Signed” will be the date the CRPA member on that line signs the petition.

4. Print the name of the CRPA member signing the petition under “Printed Name”, and then the same person should sign on the same line in the “Signature” column. Note: Even if you are the “Circulator” at the top, you’ll still need to completely fill out one of the lines for signers.

5. The signer should type or print their current residence address in the “Residence Address” column next to their printed name.

6. The signer should print their CRPA Membership Number to the right of their address in the “CRPA Mem. #” column. If you/they don’t have the CRPA Membership number, call (714) 992-2772 and ask the office to look it up for you.

7. The signer should print their date of birth for verification purposes in the “Date of Birth” column at the far right.

8. The “Circulator” of the petitions must sign at the bottom of each petition in the “Sworn To” line.

9. Scan and email, fax or mail/overnight the signed and completed petitions (and direct any questions) to:

Gene Hoffman
3200 Bridge Parkway Suite 202C
Redwood City, CA 94065

hoffmang@hoffmang.com
(650) 264-4701 FAX

otteray
05-24-2010, 9:08 PM
I'll post it again here, too:
If there is anyone in the Santa Cruz area that can't download or has difficulty with the process; if you would like to sign my downloaded petition forms, please let me know and we can set up a rendezvous point and time.
Get 'er done!
Ray