PDA

View Full Version : Police and Military Category 4 AW registration vs. Civilian Registration

shopkeep
03-06-2006, 7:46 PM
OK here's the whole deal about the Category 4 Assault Weapons I don't get. Because there will be a new tier of Assault Weapons, is it now the responsibility of Military personnel to know which firearms have to be registered, which have to be registered and modified prior to entering the state, and which have to be left out of state? How about Law Enforcement... I take it the Category 4 weapons are registered as Category 3 weapons for them?

See here's an interesting scenario:

Two active duty military personnel buy STAG-15 recievers. One is later rebased to Texas. While he is in Texas the list of Assault Weapons is published to the penal codes and the 90 day registration window opens and closes. Later the guy in Texas is rebased to California and registers his STAG (now an AW) using the military registration.

OK some questions:

Does the guy who resides in Cali have the choice of registering his STAG either as a Category 4 or as a Category 3 military reg? Does the guy from Texas who comes back to Cali register his as a Category 4 or is military registration a Category 3 registration? Does the DOJ even know the answer to these questions?

xenophobe
03-06-2006, 8:00 PM
Does the DOJ even know the answer to these questions?

lmao... your guess is probably as good or better than mine... or theirs for that matter. *shrug* I haven't a clue... sorry!

PIRATE14
03-06-2006, 8:11 PM
See here's an interesting scenario:

Two active duty military personnel buy STAG-15 recievers. One is later rebased to Texas. While he is in Texas the list of Assault Weapons is published to the penal codes and the 90 day registration window opens and closes. Later the guy in Texas is rebased to California and registers his STAG (now an AW) using the military registration.

OK some questions:

Does the guy who resides in Cali have the choice of registering his STAG either as a Category 4 or as a Category 3 military reg? Does the guy from Texas who comes back to Cali register his as a Category 4 or is military registration a Category 3 registration? Does the DOJ even know the answer to these questions?

The guy that is in CALI would need a letter from his CO/copy of orders to build a CAT III or go as avg joe for a CAT IV

The guy in TX if he missed out and got orders back into cali would need letter/orders and would be limited to a CAT III.

As far as I know the CATIII would only be temp permits that were held for his time in the state of CALI

The CATIV would be good all the time.....

U guys have way too much time on your hands....

shopkeep
03-06-2006, 8:41 PM
U guys have way too much time on your hands....

I believe you've hit the nail on the head as to why no matter how hard the Legislature and DOJ tries we keep bringing AR-15s and AK-47s into the state lawfully. They only think about "Assault Weapons" occaisionally when it benefits them. We've got all day to think about them :D.