PDA

View Full Version : Poizner: 8-10 points back from Whitman "and closing"

Steyr_223
05-05-2010, 6:03 PM
anyone think this is accurate? I watch the debate and think Poizner one. Meg looked weak..Is he really closing the gap? Will Meg have the biggest collapse since Mike Huffington?

Republican State Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner is at the Chronicle as we speak for an editorial board -- and just told us that varying polls are showing Meg Whitman's support has "collapsed,'' and there's now a range of anywhere from 8-10 points difference between himself and the former eBay CEO.

Poizner would not specify how much money he's going to invest in the race from here on out -- or exactly when. But he says that he's ready to make sure that "every primary voter" will hear from him in the 34 days until the election.

Here's our Shaky Hand Productions video of Poizner's response as he arrived for our ed board:

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nov05election/detail?entry_id=62915&tsp=1#ixzz0n6gjyOJN

OleCuss
05-05-2010, 6:41 PM
If this is true, it is the best news I've heard in several days!

radioburning
05-05-2010, 6:44 PM
I watched the debate and think Poizner won. Meg looked weak..

I thought the same thing. She came across like a rookie. I didn't really care for how the answer to the "UOC question" got put on the back burner by Poizner while he continued his answer to the previous question though...

Ding126
05-05-2010, 6:50 PM
If this is true..Thats great..I would rather see SP run against JB. The thought of Meg Whitless having a chance of being Gov'r is very frightning.

OleCuss
05-05-2010, 7:05 PM
I have no access to internal or private polling. I hope this is really true - but it would be quite remarkable!

Went to Politico and the latest polling they are showing there is from April 22 and showed 47% Whitman to Poizner's 19%. http://www.politico.com/2010/pollingcenter/calif-governor.html

It looked to me at that time like Poizner might be gaining a little but I'd not have anticipated the kind of gains reported by the OP.

Frankly, though, I have trouble seeing the debate as likely to have influenced the polling all that much. I doubt the viewership was even respectable. But Poizner is doing some better ads and the Goldman Sachs stuff was likely hurting Whitman even before he started hitting that.

Let's just say that I'm encouraged and looking forward to the possibility that Poizner would be a viable candidate in November.

Edit: Mercury News is putting out similar. http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15025095

bwiese
05-05-2010, 7:11 PM
There's gonna be a gob of stuff dropped on Poizner in the next coupla weeks. It's been preloaded.

OleCuss
05-05-2010, 7:37 PM
Killjoy!!

OK, I really do appreciate the heads-up.

warbird
05-05-2010, 8:27 PM
if it looks like Poizner is going to take Witman I am sure Brown will enter the fray on Witman's side. he knows her and I am sure has geared his race to be against her and not Poizner. Every vote for Poizner is going to have to count.

BillChambersforGovernor
05-05-2010, 8:37 PM
Fellow Gun Owners:

The media is having a heyday exposing the truths, fibs, embelishments, and inaccuracies of the far ranging statements from Brown, Poizner, and Whitman, yet they will not disclose the truth that 23 candidates, representing 6 parties, are running for Governor. There are 8 Republicans and 7 Democrats among the 23.

If you are interested in a Republican candidate who's a Life Member of the NRA, CRPA, and the Auburn Trap Shooting Club. Go to: http://smartvoter.org/2010/06/08/ca/state/vote/chambers_b/ for information on my campaign.

Bill Chambers - GOP Candidate for Governor 2010

OlderThanDirt
05-05-2010, 8:52 PM
Judging by this picture, I predict Whitman will crush Poizner:

http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/gallery/kzcu14-b78614883z.120100315200639000g5ln7njf.1.jpg

Is he a midget or is she a giant? Does Whitman turn green when she is angry?

OleCuss
05-05-2010, 9:57 PM
Fellow Gun Owners:

The media is having a heyday exposing the truths, fibs, embelishments, and inaccuracies of the far ranging statements from Brown, Poizner, and Whitman, yet they will not disclose the truth that 23 candidates, representing 6 parties, are running for Governor. There are 8 Republicans and 7 Democrats among the 23.

If you are interested in a Republican candidate who's a Life Member of the NRA, CRPA, and the Auburn Trap Shooting Club. Go to: http://smartvoter.org/2010/06/08/ca/state/vote/chambers_b/ for information on my campaign.

Bill Chambers - GOP Candidate for Governor 2010

Bill, thank you for joining us, even if it does just feel like a cynical attempt to get votes (your post count is "2"?). That didn't work out well for Chelene. . . (You see, we do know a little about some of the lesser-known candidates!)

So far, I'll consider you to be a stand-up guy who is worth knowing and respecting.

But a few comments which are meant to be helpful? I doubt you'll consider them helpful, but I can't help that:

1. Your overall tone is one of a sort of gentle chastisement of those who are considering other candidates. I know it must be frustrating to be seriously pursuing a serious office and to get little recognition and/or support. The problem is that you end up sounding a bit petulant and maybe a touch paranoid - even if that is not your nature. In running for political office it must be remembered that the message is not the one you attempt to give, but the one which is received by those who actually go to the polls. So it doesn't matter that you are righteous, clean-living, brilliant, hard-working, have relevant life experiences, etc. unless you can get that message across to others.

2. You have to be continually grateful. This can be grating, but you have to show gratitude even if you do not feel it. I read your blurb on endorsements and thought it was disgraceful. Good men and women endorsed you and you do not give them adequate thanks or even bother giving us the name of their organization. Instead you mention that they endorsed you and then tell everyone how shallow and irrelevant endorsements are? Obviously their endorsement matters to them or they'd not have bothered to go through the trouble of endorsing you. You owe it to them to go back and re-write that section of your site. At a minimum you could generally phrase it to say something about how the people who reallly know you and work with you think that you would make a fine governor and then thank the organization by name and say that you are a proud member of it! Then you can point out that most endorsements are given to candidates who are barely known to the endorser and frequently are just a part of a political calculus - your endorsement is from those who have known you well for years. They deserve at least that from you.

3. It is not my/our job to go out and learn who all the candidates are. If you want to be known, make yourself known. Getting you there is not my problem unless I make it that way. Heck, there may be tens of thousands of people who think they would be fine governors of the state of California - it's not our job to either recruit them or to campaign for them.

4. California is an expensive state. Unless you have an unusual schtick or big money behind you, you just aren't going to win a statewide election. There's a reason why the earliest of the primary elections and caucuses of the presidential primaries are held in states with small populations and smaller than Alaskan geography - it's so that people without much money behind them can generate the political interest which can then enable them to raise money and organizations so that they can contend. Here in California you need to be wealthy or have gone up through the ranks by being on the school board, city council, board of supervisors, go to the Assembly, etc. That's how you become a contender in the state of California. I presume you don't have tens of millions of dollars and that you've not done the political career preparation which is so necessary if you don't have those tens of millions. If my assumption is correct, then you aren't going to be elected to the office of governor or to any other major office anytime soon unless you come up with some schtick which can generate media attention. And sorry, e-mails from supporters just aren't going to happen in the way you want - particularly if you disrespect them like you do those who endorse you.

Anyway, I think you are sincere and I wish you well. Heck, if I were a Republican I might even vote for you - but I'm a registered Libertarian so it isn't likely.

five.five-six
05-05-2010, 10:02 PM
just because I <3 this picture

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6954/megwhitman.jpg

Hogxtz
05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Judging by this picture, I predict Whitman will crush Poizner:

http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/gallery/kzcu14-b78614883z.120100315200639000g5ln7njf.1.jpg

OMG!!! It's a blond Rosie O'Donell, :eek:

OleCuss
05-05-2010, 10:11 PM
OMG!!! It's a blond Rosie O'Donell, :eek:

I never noticed the resemblance before. You nailed it! Now I'm going to be sick. . .

big red
05-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Well the gun owners could tip any election if they stay together behind a candiate most can agree on. Poizner has a long shot but he is closer than he was al while back and closing fairly quickly from the reports. But whatever he does he better not keep holding back. He is going to have to counterpunch and throwing some haymakers if he wants a chance at this election. Dancing around like a ballerina is not going to do it.

Legasat
05-05-2010, 10:48 PM

Spooky Pic! Is she 6' 2"???

I'm not a huge fan of Poizner, but I would sure rather him than her!