PDA

View Full Version : Bashing cops

nickj03b
03-06-2006, 6:41 PM
You know I am all for this whole lower thing as I have bought one myself. I think that alot of the gun laws in California are rediculous, but why bash on the LEO's? They did not make the law. Its funny because whenever someone does something wrong or they dont agree with something they are the first to blame the police, but what happens when they are in need of assistance? Who do you call? THE POLICE! This whole lower issue dosnt have anything to do with what the police want. Its the DOJ. And as far as people complaining about the hundreds of new or adjustments to law that comes out every year and some people expecting them to know them. There is no way on earth a police officer can know every single law there is, nor would there be a need to. Sorry to rant but some people are really ignorant and cant take any responsibility for their actions so they blame Leo's.

blkA4alb
03-06-2006, 6:45 PM
i agree, and that last thread got a little out of hand near the end and im glad it was closed. negative comments are not beneficial to this discussion and what we're about.

xenophobe
03-06-2006, 6:46 PM
You would be surprised how many LEOs are buying off list receivers....

shopkeep
03-06-2006, 6:49 PM
You would be surprised how many LEOs are buying off list receivers....

I'm not, so far only one law enforcement officer has seen one of my off-list rifles. His first response was, "You should see my Double Star build..." LOL!

There have been some HUGE LEO group buys. A friend of mine works in a law enforcement agency and the off-list lowers are a huge deal for most LEOs because they've been denied letters allowing them to purchase AR-15s for so long.

One FFL informed me that several DOJ employees have purchased off-list lowers.

Shoot-it
03-06-2006, 6:58 PM
The CHP is allowed Ar-15s i seen one in a car and talked to the officer about it.He too wished he had one of his own......:)

PIRATE14
03-06-2006, 7:05 PM
These guys have tough jobs......there are way too many laws for them to be up on....

I've posted this before......an average LEO will in most cases take your rifle.....if he's a gun guy and unfortunatly there aren't many of those any more..u might get the benefit of the doubt.

It's easier for him to take it and find out if you have a legal right to it, later. As far as I know ur AWs are not part of ur DL when they call it up. If it's okay u can pick it up later at the station.

They have an obligation to public safety and ur rights come second.

Always carry around your paper w/ a AW.......period.

one417
03-06-2006, 7:06 PM
I for one have purchased many receivers and have built up a couple. as well as direct several LEO friends to where they can get theirs. I also have a couple of registered real AR fighting rifles that I use regularly for training. There are a lot of LEO's on the board that have learned quite a bit from you guys. I've even learned from those that have cop-bashed in the past. I hope that CalGuns doesn't get a rep that it does not deserve because of a few that feel they can use this forum to cop bash. Before you know it it'll only be us red-necked militia type tinfoil wearing cop haters ;) around these here parts. :D

xenophobe
03-06-2006, 7:08 PM
I'm not, so far only one law enforcement officer has seen one of my off-list rifles. His first response was, "You should see my Double Star build..." LOL!

There have been some HUGE LEO group buys. A friend of mine works in a law enforcement agency and the off-list lowers are a huge deal for most LEOs because they've been denied letters allowing them to purchase AR-15s for so long.

One FFL informed me that several DOJ employees have purchased off-list lowers.

Yes, LEOs have been denied, and we've had LEOs drive from all over Northern Cali. I've personally sold receivers to at least 2 dozen LEOs... That's not including all the others that were helped by my co-workers.

Pro gun cops are the good guys people. They're the ones that'll pull you over, inspect your stuff, appreciate it and let you go on your way if you're not violating the law. Their job is to enforce the law, so if you're doing something blatantly illegal, you can't blame them for having to deal with it.

They are PLENTY of pro-gun LEOs in the state. I deal with a number of them on a daily basis. I show them respect that I would show to anyone else.

shopkeep
03-06-2006, 7:46 PM
Yes, LEOs have been denied, and we've had LEOs drive from all over Northern Cali. I've personally sold receivers to at least 2 dozen LEOs... That's not including all the others that were helped by my co-workers.

As far as I've been informed LEOs have on average purchased lowers in higher volumes than non-LEOs. One of the LEOs who is a regular on this board has already completed 9 (**** MAN!) rifles :eek:!!!

knight_dive
03-06-2006, 8:03 PM
The day I bought my first lower, there were three LEO's with me:)

All the cops I know are excited about the availability of these receivers, because they want one (or several), not because they expect gang wars and mass religious suicides and convenience store robberies with EBR's. Admittedly, I only know a dozen or so LEO's, but they are all firearm enthusiasts. Of course they don't know all of California's gun laws, most don't even know them as well as I do, and I'm a neophyte compared to most on this board. There are too many laws, and frankly too many druggies, domestic dispute cases, drunk drivers, gang members, honest to God crazy people, shoplifters, people filing police reports because they're a little angry at someone, court appearances, police chases, paperwork, front deskwork, report taking, (is my point coming across yet?), for them to really care much about law abiding citizens at a legal firing range with any firearm, much less legal firearm providing that person doesn't fall into any of the above categories and make a complete fool of themselves.

My $0.02.
I expect change.

xLusi0n
03-06-2006, 8:09 PM
I was under the impression that LEOs are allowed to purchase AWs (as well as hi cap magazines).

C.G.
03-06-2006, 8:18 PM
I was under the impression that LEOs are allowed to purchase AWs (as well as hi cap magazines).
Only if their department will allow it, sign for it and it is for departmental not personal use.

slowjonn
03-06-2006, 8:26 PM
During the Federal AWB, LEO's needed a letter from the department to purchase hi-cap mags. Since the Fed AWB is no longer, LEO's only need a Police ID card to import hi-cap mags. They still need a department letter for the purchase of an assault weapon.

As far as the cops not being educated about the laws, there are way to many laws for the average cop to know them all. That level of expertese comes from specialized assignments. I know several cops that specialize in various areas of law enforcement (internet crimes for example) that have a lot of knowledge in very narrow areas of the law. Also most cops I know are very pro-gun, even if somewhat uneducated in the finer points of the laws regarding firearms. A lot of them had no idea about the lowers and what the law said about these until I turned them onto it by reading Calguns.

Last thing to keep in mind. It takes about 26 weeks to become a cop. It took my sister over a year to become a certified beautician(sp?). Cops have to have a pretty good knowledge of the law and make split second decisions involving life and death. My sister only has to worry about a bad dye job or a bad haircut...and she was in school a lot longer than the cop was.

I'm not saying that they always make the right decision and that they are infalable. I'm also not saying that there arn't some cops that take things way to far when enforcing the laws. I'm just saying that they really have a tough job and they get very limited schooling before going out into the real world. Just my .02

xenophobe
03-06-2006, 8:53 PM
A LEO still needs a department letter to purchase hi-caps as well. A badge is not sufficient, although there are a number of dealers who will sell to an officer if he flashes his badge, we have a hi-cap mag permit, and paperwork is definitely required.

Jeff Rambo
03-06-2006, 9:10 PM
I just received several PMs on this matter and felt the need to address it here in the open as the moderator for this forum.

Flat-out, there will be absolutely no "cop bashing" here on Calguns.net. Especially not in the 2 forums here that I moderate. I simply will not tolerate it. Law enforcement is just that, enforcers of the law. Law that may not be favorable or just in the eyes of many, even those enforcing it. But law that exists nevertheless. If you do not like it, work toward changing it as many people are. But needless bashing and insulting is not needed nor valuable toward reform. It is nothing more than an exercise in stupidity on the part of anyone who resorts to it.

Keep in mind that if there were no laws with no one to enforce it, what little civility is left in the world would be out the door entirely and this would be the wild wild west all over again. Sadly, I think many of you would like that though.

Just to give you a little background on myself-
I spent 10 months in a reserve police academy from 2004 to 2005 in order to become certified to work as a reserve officer in the State of California. For those of you who do not know what a reserve does, in a nutshell they receive the same basic training and perform the same functions as a full-time officer, but they do so on their own time and their own dime. The purpose of the reserve forces are to supplement full-time officers so that departments can put more able bodies when and where needed. Typically reserves are professionals such as doctors, lawyers, accountants, or in some cases students still working on their degrees. Heck, more and more athletes and actors are becoming reserve police officers. For example and most notably, Shaquille O'Neal was once a reserve police officer in the City of Los Angeles w/ the Port Police Department. He is now a reserve police officer in Florida.

Anyhow, at best, reserves receive a stipend/uniform allowance anywhere from $1 to $600 a year. That is it. Depending on departments, some get free training, while others do not. I fell into the latter category.

So you see, I paid a few thousand dollars to buy all of my gear and to go to the police academy for 10 months on my own time and dime. Upon arriving there with 54 other (apparently) like-minded individuals, we were yelled at, yelled at some more, yelled at a little more, abused here and there in the name of officer safety during defensive tactics training, and physically trained to death also in the name of officer safety. Oh wait, before I forget... we also received some of the best instruction known to man on several dozen different one hundred plus page "learning domains" covering topics such as crimes against the justice system, search and seizure, crimes against persons, traffic enforcement, weapons violations, etc. etc. etc.

Off the top of my head, there are 42 different learning domains covered in the academy to be precise accounting for over 600 hours of training and instruction. Not to mention the countless hours on your off-time spent studying all of these learning domains for the tests you have to take on the majority of them. Yes, that is right... tests! Tests that you only have two chances to take. Should you fail to reach the minimum passing percentage required the first time, you have one chance to remediate. If you fail the remediation, guess what? It is time you take part in the duffle bag drag as you are then kicked out of the academy. Absolutely no if's, and's, or but's about it!, as the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) mandate this be the case in all police and sheriff academies throughout California.

We spent so many moments that will never be forgotten over the course of those 10 months in the front leaning rest position with tac officers sceaming in our ears attempting to make us quit. Screaming sweet nothings and honey-coated pleasantries to play the role of those (*cough* sometimes not so *cough*) thankful citizens we all have the desire to serve and protect who frequently let those in law enforcement "have it" with all their might and profanities. This type of treatment was perfectly understandable and tolerable in that setting being that it was a training environment.

However, here on Calguns? No thanks. So if you think those in law enforcement are worthless, I invite you to explore other options to satisfy your daily bulletin board posting needs. Such statements have no place here.

Furthermore, if you think those in law enforcement are "idiots that are too stupid for law school" as I saw stated by one senior member, I invite you to peddle your thoughts elsewhere as well. Funny analogy though. I clearly remember 2 lawyers who started my academy class with me. In reference to those 2 lawyers, a few paragraphs prior in this post, I stated that my academy class started with 54 individuals. We graduated with 29 individuals and those 2 lawyers were not apart of the graduates. Given that I graduated in the top of my class, I guess I should head to law school next.

But wait... Small sample size is your defense? Right? You know, I am sure the interactions that you have had with law enforcement that led you to make that statement also equate to a small sample size. Also, with regards to my previous statement, yes... there are some in law enforcement who do not deserve such distinction. The same can be said for many others in various walks of life. Sadly such is the nature of the workforce and law enforcement does not get a free pass from this.

But more importantly worth noting, there is not a single law enforcement officer in the world that knows ALL OF the laws that s/he is expected to enforce inside and out, just as there is not a single lawyer in this world that knows ALL OF the laws that s/he is expected to defend. This point brings me to something that I constantly notice being said here on Calguns. That "cops are not lawyers." While true, I see no basis for this comment to be made.

I personally had no illusions of going to the police academy to become a lawyer. Flat out, I want to be a police officer, more so after becoming reserve certified, thus my current efforts to become hired and certified as a full-time police officer rather than as a reserve. I also doubt that anyone else in law enforcement or looking to join law enforcement has had or has such illusions of becoming a lawyer by means of becoming a police officer. So please stop with these comments, they are about as relevant as me saying that a basketball player is not a football player.

With that said... I am not sitting here aspiring to be a jack booted thug that goes after law abiding citizens. The same can be said for the majority of those in law enforcement or looking to join law enforcement. I am about as pro-gun as anyone else on this board and will stand up for gun rights anytime I have the chance to do so. I own three lowers myself and have helped two people I graduated the academy with get a few between themselves and pointed about ten or so other friends in law enfocement toward getting lowers. But law enforcement officers have a job to do and while it is a job that most do out of sincere desire, it is also a job that has to be done by someone and for those who step up to the plate to do it, it puts food on the tables for their families. With such in mind, the saying goes that "one cannot enforce the law if they cannot follow it" and that is where the line has to be drawn. Dealing with (what is perceived as) needless law is where discretion and the spirit of the law versus the letter of the law play a major role for law enforcement officers. A role that is very tough to balance at often times.

So in conclusion folks, I welcome and invite varying discussions, even if you all disagree with one another. That is not the problem being addressed here though. There are just simply some things that will not be tolerated by me as a moderator and one of those things is cop bashing. It is not warranted and as previously stated it serves no valuable purpose. The same goes for such issues as needlessly insulting other members simply because you share different views. The majority of you are all over 18 and a good chunk of you are old enough to have fathered me, but I frequently see many of you acting like a bunch of children who are in dire need of better parenting because all manners and tact clearly went out the door based on your posts.

bodyarmorguy27
03-06-2006, 9:38 PM
It's nice to see finally see some support around here. Thanks guys.

I've been doing my damndest to spread the word around my unit about off-list lowers and have been able to get several officers to purchase their own.

Now go shoot your rifles.

metalhead357
03-06-2006, 9:50 PM
Well said Jeff.

I sat part of these rounds out somewhat/somehow knowing it was DEvolving and dont want my name connected to such.

To that end. Let us not forget a couple of things. Cops DO have rather tuff jobs. They are forvever in the spotlight of oversight, the media and public eye. If anyone does ANY serious investigation into the matter it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that the public perception is molded by the media. And the media focuses on the bad, the extreme, and the litteral ONE in a million cases & cops that portray them in a bad light.

99.99999% of the Cops are good and decent folk and work rather hard for measly pay & would be more than willing to lay down thier lives to protect the very likes of some of the nay-sayers. And for the sake of argument too, please dont confuse Politicians, the ATF, or even DOJ employees with "cops".

Its unfortunate that its the 0.0001% of the bad cops that some want to base opinions on; its much like the public focusing on the 0.00001% of "gun nutts" and true psychopaths with guns and basing an opinion on the whole from such a small percentage of the reality.

So to the true & decent cops, I salute you and there ARE plenty here that support you.

So, Now can we ALLLLLL please just go back to discussing guns and how the DOJ has no clue:p

metalhead

chickenfried
03-06-2006, 9:52 PM
JMHO,
But the users on this board should feel free to voice their opinon of police officers. You might feel they're right or wrong depending on your point of view. If you don't like what they wrote feel free to ignore the poster or point out the flaws in their thinking. Here on the board is one of the places people can share their real opinion of police officers. Why should police officers be a gun board sacred cow? "Bashing" LEO posts should be moderated to the same standards as other threads criticizing Barbara Boxer, calibers, movies, etc.

metalhead357
03-06-2006, 10:02 PM
JMHO,
But the users on this board should feel free to voice their opinon of police officers. You might feel they're right or wrong depending on your point of view. If you don't like what they wrote feel free to ignore the poster or point out the flaws in their thinking. Here on the board is one of the places people can share their real opinion of police officers. Why should police officers be a gun board sacred cow? "Bashing" LEO posts should be moderated to the same standards as other threads criticizing Barbara Boxer, calibers, movies, etc.

No problem here with the general idea....but a couple of points. The opinion/bashing should come from REALITY and not hot-headed hype of I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who's dog had a friend that once saw..........

(AND) Forums are NOT public per se....they can be moderated any way the owners want them to be. If they say "No go" its NO GO, as we're all guests here; gotta respect rules or have the chance of being shown the door.

(AND) IMO we need more cops on board on this lower thing. MIGHT go a long long way into getting out of a *****ly situation when they're part of the Reality of ever-changing Cali law......

YMMV..... but we'll get along better if you just agree with me:p :D LOL! JUST kidding!

SkyStorm82
03-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Well I hate drive thru employees. How hard is it to not screw up an order. Losers....ALL of them. Pisses me off to get home and find out I'm missing a taco....or the ranch dressing to go with my food. Bunch of LOSERS...why don't they get a real job.:p :D

I think it's time we start picking on new professions.

Richard
03-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Couldn't agree with you more Jeff ,100% top to bottom......Come on guys lay off LEO.....

But on the other hand how about them Firemen...... pisses me off when they clutter up the aisle with there shopping carts. :) :p :D ;)

sorry just kidding couln't resist......just letting some air out of the balloon.

chickenfried
03-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Definitely, this is Ramon's forum to run as he wants. Remember it was JMHO :)

(AND) Forums are NOT public per se....they can be moderated any way the owners want them to be. If they say "No go" its NO GO, as we're all guests here; gotta respect rules or have the chance of being shown the door.

metalhead357
03-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Ahhh, sorry there Chickenfried, was meant more to the general populace rather than you directly, I boofed it and shoulda stated it.

Picking on professions now? Hmmmm

I cant stand the friggin trash men. Friggin Stink! Work once a week and get paid more than I do!:D

FreedomIsNotFree
03-06-2006, 11:20 PM
About those Firemen......they really piss me off.......my girlfriend always stares at them....:eek:

accordingtoome
03-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Cops are o.k. Bad cops ruin it for everyone though. This is from someone that was punched/kicked/cuffed and left in the back of car for a half hour till opps i wasn't the one they were looking for. But hey it was prob my fault for jay walking... :rolleyes:

Jeff Rambo
03-07-2006, 12:09 AM
I addressed this with a member who shared your same opinion in a previous thread, chickenfried. Civil discussion is good to go and even encouraged with regards to discussing law enforcement and your differences in views pertaining to such. But there is a clear line between such discussions and "bashing." It is the latter that is not allowed here and if you fail to see the differences between the two, then chances are your posts do not belong here.

shopkeep
03-07-2006, 12:27 AM
I really don't see the point of bashing cops. The people who are out to ruin our day are the ones in the legislature and the DOJ. Ordinary cops are tired of the myriad of CA Firearms laws and are more concerned with violent crime and other problems than dealing with various technicalities.

bear308
03-07-2006, 1:15 AM
definitely a big plus one to Rambo. I think one of the things is to diferentiate between thug bastards like DOJ and regular local PD/SD. The range I work at we get local/chp LEO in there all the time and most of them are the some of the nicest customers we have. They are also the first to lend a hand when a pot head or some other idiot doesn't want to take no for an answer. Even the ATF guys are great. The DEA guys were hilarious when they got their bag o gun ARs a few months back. I'm sure glad when Burbank pulls up to help us out for the little things without so much as a gripe, even if they pull people over more than some other cities.

But the last time I saw a DOJ agent in there I was swept multiple times with a live gun. They have preformed armed raids on shooting ranges, and from what I saw not all that well. I understand most departments wouldn't call the place before serving a search warrant but we would have gladly helped the situation along.

On a side note (and I know I'm pretty new here so it might not count for much) I don't see where someone who is apparently a mod here is doing anyone any good by going into a closed topic to debate with people who cannot respond.
Edit: I see that was just an oversight, nevermind.

Jeff Rambo
03-07-2006, 1:26 AM
On a side note (and I know I'm pretty new here so it might not count for much) I don't see where someone who is apparently a mod here is doing anyone any good by going into a closed topic to debate with people who cannot respond.

Aside from both being pro-gun Californian's, Me and artherd probably do not share many of the same views... but I am almost certain one view we do share is that it is very easy for a moderator to reply to a closed thread without realizing it was previously closed. You are correct... as a moderator, it does not serve any good toward the site to respond to other members when they cannot respond themselves, but in the instances you are referring to, I do not see it having been done intentionally. I have been guilty of this oversight once before.

bluestaterebel
03-07-2006, 4:56 AM
okay, so i figured out what leo means. lol. i am one of those. i have to say that i semi-agree with chickenfried.i dont think that leo's should become the sacred cow. many people have their views and opinions about cops. as much as i hate being bashed, insulted and degraded on t.v. i think its okay for people to post their views here. you see, on tv there is no way to counter the bashing, except for me screaming at the screen. in an open discussion people with absurd beliefs can be presented with some facts or heroic stories. it may make them change their views or maybe open their minds. if those peoples views are not allowed to be challenged on a site like this, they will only pass on those views elsewhere, like to friends, relatives, neighbors etc. that being said, i cant express enough the true respect i feel for leo's on this site, it's very welcoming and i am turning every leo i know to this site..they can learn a thing or two from all you gun experts. i know i have.....

p.s. i say semi-agree with chickenfried because frankly i am offended to be put on the same stage as barbara boxer..that is hate speech and should not be tolerated...lol

JAMES77257
03-07-2006, 6:31 AM
Do you guys understand that DOJ agents are cops too? I've heard them called some pretty nasty things here. The Department of Justice dosen't make laws either, they just do what the AG tells them to.
My problem with law enforcement is that there is too much discression in their actions. My point is that if they didn't get any the night before, or don't like how you look, or talk to them, they can bust you for something they let someone else go for the day before.

one417
03-07-2006, 7:20 AM
My problem with law enforcement is that there is too much discression in their actions. My point is that if they didn't get any the night before, or don't like how you look, or talk to them, they can bust you for something they let someone else go for the day before.

That's exactly what I do when I don't get any. Everyone stanby to get arrested:rolleyes:. And when I do get some, I let murderers, rapists, and other felons go free with a pat on the back..........

JAMES77257
03-07-2006, 7:36 AM
That's exactly what I do when I don't get any. Everyone stanby to get arrested:rolleyes:. And when I do get some, I let murderers, rapists, and other felons go free with a pat on the back..........

WOW! You must not have got any last night.

True or false?

If a LEO finds a loaded weapon in ones possession without a permit and doing nothing else wrong, it is his/her descision whether or not to proceed with citations, or to let the person go.

This also applies to traffic infractions also.

So, again my point is that I can get busted for something that they let someone else go for yesterday.

Richard
03-07-2006, 8:04 AM
About those Firemen......they really piss me off.......my girlfriend always stares at them....:eek:

Keep her out of the Turtle Wax Aisle......:D

WAX ON ,WAX OFF BOYS
:D

slo5oh
03-07-2006, 8:11 AM
Let's not be STUPID here!

LEOs = EVERYONE ELSE!!!!
There are good one and there are bad ones. I have a couple friends that are now LEOs and I liked them before they became LEOs... so guess what??? I still like them. Since I turned 16 I've been pulled over more times than I can remember and I learned VERY fast that there are cops that are VERY cool and there are ones that are D*#KS. I just wish there were less cops with the "god" complex... but then again... I'd probably be the same way myself.

As for the comment on the first page that everyone complains about cops, but they're the first ones we call when the SHTF, that's BECAUSE WE HAVE TO CALL! and call early because they might take 1/2 hour to show up. I know that it took over 20 minutes when gang of guys attempted a pitiful home invasion and kidnapping at a freinds house. I'll tell you... when something like that happens you figure out real quick that legal or illegal you want to have a firearm to protect yourself because there's not always going to be someone there to protect you. I only lucked out because these idiots, even though they showed up with bats and knives, even though they waited for what seemed like everyone to leave, even though they outnumbered us 3 to 1 or worse, knocked on the door of a house occupied by a few of the meanest boys i've ever had the pleasure of hanging out with.

Just remember, LEO is just their job. This is like hating all mechanics because most of them are crooks and will take serious advantage of you if they can. It's human nature to be a bad person... it's will power that keeps us decent people.

one417
03-07-2006, 8:25 AM
WOW! You must not have got any last night.

True or false?

If a LEO finds a loaded weapon in ones possession without a permit and doing nothing else wrong, it is his/her descision whether or not to proceed with citations, or to let the person go.

This also applies to traffic infractions also.

So, again my point is that I can get busted for something that they let someone else go for yesterday.

True. Keep in mind that the person in possession of the loaded weapon is in violation of the California Penal Code. The LEO does have discretion on misdemeanors to arrest or not. I have let plenty of "good citizens" go with a stern warning and arrested many other bad guy "AH"'s with guns. I do profile criminals. I also make my decisions based on their attitudes as well as criminal history/background. But then again, there are plenty of other LEO's that are by the book, and will arrest anyone who commits a crime. Bottom line is. Commit a crime and risk being arrested.

I responded to a call of a burglary in progress to a residence. We detained and subsequently arrested three BG's for burglary. When my guys and I made entry into the victim's residence to clear the house, we found about ten rifles (three of which were AW's) and three handguns laying on a bedroom floor. The bad guys apparently were about to wrap these weapons in a blanket and take them from the residence. I had to I.D. these weapons for my guys so that they can list them on the report. No one asked me if they were illegal or not. Once the victim responded to the location, all that was asked of him was "Are these your weapons Sir?" and "where were they stored?". The homeowner (victim) looked nervous. I assured him that we weren't going to take any weapons that are legally owned by him. With that we got the info that we needed and left him with his weapons......

Were the AW's registered? I'm sure that they were :D .

JAMES77257
03-07-2006, 8:25 AM
Let's not be STUPID here!

LEOs = EVERYONE ELSE!!!!
There are good one and there are bad ones. I have a couple friends that are now LEOs and I liked them before they became LEOs... so guess what??? I still like them. Since I turned 16 I've been pulled over more times than I can remember and I learned VERY fast that there are cops that are VERY cool and there are ones that are D*#KS. I just wish there were less cops with the "god" complex... but then again... I'd probably be the same way myself.

As for the comment on the first page that everyone complains about cops, but they're the first ones we call when the SHTF, that's BECAUSE WE HAVE TO CALL! and call early because they might take 1/2 hour to show up. I know that it took over 20 minutes when gang of guys attempted a pitiful home invasion and kidnapping at a freinds house. I'll tell you... when something like that happens you figure out real quick that legal or illegal you want to have a firearm to protect yourself because there's not always going to be someone there to protect you. I only lucked out because these idiots, even though they showed up with bats and knives, even though they waited for what seemed like everyone to leave, even though they outnumbered us 3 to 1 or worse, knocked on the door of a house occupied by a few of the meanest boys i've ever had the pleasure of hanging out with.

Just remember, LEO is just their job. This is like hating all mechanics because most of them are crooks and will take serious advantage of you if they can. It's human nature to be a bad person... it's will power that keeps us decent people.

I agree, I have numerous friends that are cops. I'm also not responsible enough to make unbiased spur of the moment descisions that could change someones life. I just wish that the cops that are also not this responsible would realize it and find another job.

BTW I have never had a negitive contact with law enforcement, these are just my observations.

Bling Bling 2.0
03-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I agree for the most part that cops get a bad rep becuase people are upset about getting arrested on stupid laws. It's not their fault 66% of Californians are brainless.

Regardless, I don't trust them and would never let them on my property without a warrant. I don't do any illegal activities or have any illegal items (to my knowledge). But I personally know of people that have had bad experiences and it's cost them close to $15k to defend themselves in court. Not all cops are bad, but I can't take a chance on the ones that are. My $15k is too important to me.

ldivinag
03-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Well I hate drive thru employees. How hard is it to not screw up an order. Losers....ALL of them. Pisses me off to get home and find out I'm missing a taco....or the ranch dressing to go with my food. Bunch of LOSERS...why don't they get a real job.:p :D

I think it's time we start picking on new professions.

i agree...

i say, "i'll take a hamburger and large fries.. and THAT IT..."

they said, "would you like anything else?"

sigh...

seriously, i have a family who is a K9 cop with a local PD (my fav joke come family get-togethers is, "so how's that ***** you work with?????" lol...).

he tells me one story when i see him one day all scratched up.

he sees a car stopped in the middle of the intersection. first thought? stranded motorist. so he does his usual thing. walks up to the car and the dude just jumps him!

turns out... guy was high on something.

so i ask, who won? he smiles. tells me the guy was sent to the hospital... :evil smiley:

Bling Bling 2.0
03-07-2006, 11:25 AM
I agree for the most part that cops get a bad rep becuase people are upset about getting arrested on stupid laws. It's not their fault 66% of Californians are brainless.

Regardless, I don't trust them and would never let them on my property without a warrant. I don't do any illegal activities or have any illegal items (to my knowledge). But I personally know of people that have had bad experiences and it's cost them close to $15k to defend themselves in court. Not all cops are bad, but I can't take a chance on the ones that are. My $15k is too important to me.

cyamate
03-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Jeff,
You rock.

artherd
03-08-2006, 12:10 AM
These guys have tough jobs......there are way too many laws for them to be up on....

I've posted this before......an average LEO will in most cases take your rifle.....if he's a gun guy and unfortunatly there aren't many of those any more..u might get the benefit of the doubt.

It's easier for him to take it and find out if you have a legal right to it, later. As far as I know ur AWs are not part of ur DL when they call it up. If it's okay u can pick it up later at the station.

Not anymore, not now that the LEGR program has been codified into law... (basically, you have to go through a procedure similar to a RE-DROS in order to ever see your gun again, or they keep it by default.)

artherd
03-08-2006, 12:11 AM
You know I am all for this whole lower thing as I have bought one myself. I think that alot of the gun laws in California are rediculous, but why bash on the LEO's?

Don't enforce any illegal laws upon me, or manufacture totally fictitious violations to use against me, and we'll be just fine (leo or not.)

With Great Power (statutory powers of arrest, etc.) comes Great Responsibility. I expect any LEO I encounter to hold himself to the same or better standards to which he holds me.

The great and vast majority of LEOs in this state and nation are DAMNED FINE INDIVIDIUALS! Heck we sold lowers to most of 'em. They're generally as pissed about the stupid gun laws as we are. The corrupt and criminal few should be persecuted, ostracized, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

artherd
03-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Jeff I bet you and I would agree on most (but probally not all) of the really important points, I just have a bad attitute sometimes :) Veriety is however the spice of life, and even if we don't agree, we can always respect the other's viewpoint!

Like for instance it sure is easy to reply to closed threads when you didn't realize you had the ability to do so (the 'reply' button still stays there you see.)

Cheers, and thank you for your service both as a reserve and on calguns.net.

I'll end with the following thoughts; LEOs are just like NON-LEOs. A group of people, most of them good. Some of them howerever are bad and need to be removed from a police society, hopefully by the good examples of both groups in the criminal justice system :)

Aside from both being pro-gun Californian's, Me and artherd probably do not share many of the same views... but I am almost certain one view we do share is that it is very easy for a moderator to reply to a closed thread without realizing it was previously closed.

artherd
03-08-2006, 12:26 AM
A LEO still needs a department letter to purchase hi-caps as well. A badge is not sufficient, although there are a number of dealers who will sell to an officer if he flashes his badge, we have a hi-cap mag permit, and paperwork is definitely required.
Actually DOJ is now (recently as a few months ago this changed) accepting Department ID (ie an Peace Officer ID card. I don't think a badge counts still, but no letterhead requirement anymore.) Check to be sure.