PDA

View Full Version : Illinois- or California-style gun control?

pointedstick
05-05-2010, 5:28 PM
If you had to be subjected to one or the other, which style of gun control would you prefer? Let's assume things are static and we're not taking into account future legislative curtailments or enlibertyment.

"Illinois-style:" Mandatory (shall-issue) government licensing for anything gun-related, no possibility for carry, but few other restrictions
"California-style:" AWB, high-cap mag ban, pistol roster, no online ammo sales, etc, but no license required to purchase, and at least the possibility of getting a CCW (or UOC in a pinch).

DarthSean
05-05-2010, 5:33 PM
I'd stick with California laws. Illinois can yank your license fairly arbitrarily.

stix213
05-05-2010, 5:39 PM
That poll sounds just like this other one:

Which would you rather have?
1) A hand wearing a flaming glove you can't seem to pull off
2) A hand with its thumb chopped off

BKinzey
05-05-2010, 5:43 PM
Why do you ask?:confused:

I know very little about Illinois laws so I really don't feel qualified to vote.

Rainbow Warrior
05-05-2010, 6:01 PM
Illinois makes you register ( FOID card ) but you can still purchase 30rd. mags and .50 Cal. rifles.
Waiting period 1 day long guns and 3 days on handguns, although Chicago nothing is legal, or so it would seem..:eek:

MKfan
05-05-2010, 6:08 PM
Neither

Milsurp Collector
05-05-2010, 6:17 PM
That poll sounds just like this other one:

Which would you rather have?
1) A hand wearing a flaming glove you can't seem to pull off
2) A hand with its thumb chopped off

Or, which method of execution would you prefer, hanging or firing squad?

Neither

+1

Where is the "none of the above" choice?

Dr Rockso
05-05-2010, 6:31 PM
Or, which method of execution would you prefer, hanging or firing squad?
Actually we had that thread fairly recently....I picked firing squad.

PEBKAC
05-05-2010, 6:35 PM
Neither
QFT.

383green
05-05-2010, 6:36 PM
None of the above. IMHO, this is a stupid poll.

Shotgun Man
05-05-2010, 6:37 PM
Would I rather be run over by a Mack truck or doused with gasoline and set on fire?

I prefer the Mack truck.

I voted Illinois, because you say I can get real AR-15s, no roster, no mag limits, no ammo restrictions, I just can't carry. Well, I can't carry now. So Illinois sounds better.

Ding126
05-05-2010, 6:40 PM
I vote for Arizona ( was that an option? )

383green
05-05-2010, 6:51 PM
Regarding firing squad vs. hanging, my choice is to be beaten to death with a chunk of a guard's throat clenched in my teeth.

Life isn't multiple-choice.

SickofSoCal
05-05-2010, 6:53 PM
I vote 'Zona!

audiophil2
05-05-2010, 6:53 PM
I lived in both states and I would pick CA. The laws in IL may appear better but you left out the mosquitoes. They will bleed you dry before a criminal can.

audiophil2
05-05-2010, 6:54 PM
I vote 'Zona!

I did months ago.

Window_Seat
05-05-2010, 6:59 PM
Would I rather be forced to join and help the Brady Campaign, or the LCAV? Either way, I would go straight to Montana (so I could be fired as quickly as possible). :eek::eek:

Erik.

artherd
05-05-2010, 7:04 PM
Where's "Calguns style?"

383green
05-05-2010, 7:05 PM
Where's "Calguns style?"

See my previous post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4241811&postcount=13) in this thread. ;)

Dr Rockso
05-05-2010, 7:08 PM
Where's "Calguns style?"

'Calguns style' requires abnormal flexibility and, ironically, is illegal in most of the Bible-belt.

kermit315
05-05-2010, 7:09 PM
I lived in both states and I would pick CA. The laws in IL may appear better but you left out the mosquitoes. They will bleed you dry before a criminal can.

Where at in Illinois? I am from Canton.

I voted Illinois, only because of fewer limits. And, they are working on a shall issue carry strategy. With chicago working against the rest of the state, its a long row to hoe, but they will get their eventually.

As was stated, cant carry in Illinois, but I couldnt carry in California either. Illinois, I can buy standard caps, no bb's, no roster, shorter waits, no registration of handguns, no dros, FTF sales.

I still like cash and carry here in Florida though.

pointedstick
05-05-2010, 7:14 PM

I voted Illinois, only because of fewer limits. And, they are working on a shall issue carry strategy. With chicago working against the rest of the state, its a long row to hoe, but they will get their eventually.

As was stated, cant carry in Illinois, but I couldnt carry in California either. Illinois, I can buy standard caps, no bb's, no roster, shorter waits, no registration of handguns, no dros, FTF sales.

This was the kind of thing I was hoping for. Obviously we'd all like no gun control at all and there are better states than either of these hoplophobic nightmares; again, obviously. I was just curious which of two bad choices people would choose if they had to, and why.

Legasat
05-05-2010, 8:00 PM
Want to be hung with a new rope or this old one?

Both SUCK!

audiophil2
05-05-2010, 8:40 PM

I'm from a western suburb of Chicago called Brookfield.
Illinois has all the pluses of what you mention but I was in CA before 2000 so I can re-import my mags and go featureless as I did before I moved to AZ.
I am sure you have found CCW to be more of a nuisance than anything else. I hardly carry anymore and usually it is OC because a 4 pound brick on my hip is a pain.
The cash and carry deal is nice for private parties but it is just as annoying at FFLs as it is in CA. 1 day or 10 days means the same amount of time and gas wasted.
The roster is almost ineffective now.

The issue I had with IL was when I first got into guns the internet was not popular. Broadband to the home was science fiction.
So one day I decided to take my SLR-95 out to a range north of Chicago. Well, it took some nice old guys to explain to me that I had an illegal weapon in Cook county. I had bought the rifle in DuPage and the FFL said nothing even though he had my DL and FOID to run the check (no NICS then). I had to keep my rifles at a family members house and shoot out in Kankakee.
The same issue was with pistols. I had to figure out what towns I could drive through and which ones I had to circumvent just because of village laws. It just so happened that my family and I attended high school and college in towns that banned most guns. My brother was in a private HS in Oak Park and I was at Loyola in Evanston. Chicago was in the middle.

At least in CA the laws are pretty much the same in any given 200 miles.

Cobrafreak
05-05-2010, 9:15 PM
WTF??? Death by painful poison or death by painful Rock? I can't even answer the poll if AZ is not one of the choices.

johnny_22
05-06-2010, 9:42 AM
California for me.

Handgun safety certificate is a simple test. FOID is getting permission from the state before I can touch a firearm.

I am fine with my Monsterman grips, no flash hider, and 10 rounds. I have learned to reload quickly; a good skill to have. So far only one gun I want is not on the safe list, and I know the safe list is soon to be history after McDonald.

N6ATF
05-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Death.

(as in Liberty, or...)

DarthSean
05-06-2010, 11:53 PM
California for me.

Handgun safety certificate is a simple test. FOID is getting permission from the state before I can touch a firearm.

If you can't pass the handgun safety test, you are probably the subject of guardianship and are declared incompetent to own a firearm anyway.

Arondos
05-07-2010, 1:30 AM
This poll is like asking would you rather have your eyes gouged out with a wooden spoon, or a sharpened stick. Either one SUCKS!