PDA

View Full Version : Quick knife question

Lagduf
05-05-2010, 4:12 PM
Just a quick question with regard to the Kel-Tec Folding Bayonet (http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart2/product_info.php?products_id=74).

Kel-Tec states the knife is illegal in CA.

Is this because it would be considered a switchblade under CA law? I don't see a thumb stud for opening it nor does it appear there is place where one could apply pressure on the blade to open it.

Mostly I i just haven't been able to find out anywhere on the web how the blade opens.

Curiously the Kel-Tec Folding Knife (http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart2/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=82) does not have the same disclaimer.

Anyone know whats up? Is there something I'm missing? Thanks.

Merc1138
05-05-2010, 4:42 PM
It's a folding knife that can mount as a bayonet from everything I've seen/read about it. Not sure why they would think it's illegal in California.

You can even see the basic liner lock in the picture. Even if it was assisted(which it isn't that I'm aware) it would still be legal. Only thing that might make it illegal is if the edge on what would be the backside of the blade(swedge I think?) is sharpened.

Turo
05-05-2010, 4:45 PM
It's a folding knife that can mount as a bayonet from everything I've seen/read about it. Not sure why they would think it's illegal in California.

You can even see the basic liner lock in the picture. Even if it was assisted(which it isn't that I'm aware) it would still be legal. Only thing that might make it illegal is if the edge on what would be the backside of the blade(swedge I think?) is sharpened.

I agree with everything, except this. Double edged knives are not illegal to own/carry/transport in CA.

Merc1138
05-05-2010, 4:47 PM
I agree with everything, except this. Double edged knives are not illegal to own/carry/transport in CA.

You sure 12020 wouldn't affect that if it happened to get covered by a jacket flapping in the breeze?

edit for clarification: I'm not talking about 12020 affecting the folding bayonet, I really have no idea what kel-tec's problem is.

Turo
05-05-2010, 5:00 PM
You sure 12020 wouldn't affect that if it happened to get covered by a jacket flapping in the breeze?

edit for clarification: I'm not talking about 12020 affecting the folding bayonet, I really have no idea what kel-tec's problem is.

If you're talking about a fixed blade knife (regardless of how many blades it has) then it being temporarily concealed could be ruled to be a felony according to 12020. I wasn't talking about concealing a blade though, just merely to the act of owning or carrying a blade with two sharpened edges. A folding knife can have both sides of a blade sharpened, and so can a fixed blade and the only thing that affects them is if they are carried not in accordance with CA's law.

12020 doesn't mention, nor does it affect any double edged blade, unless that blade is also one specifically mentioned by 12020.

As for the bayo, If it's not an automatic/gravity/butterfly knife, I don't see any legal issues with it.

Lagduf
05-05-2010, 5:06 PM
As for the bayo, If it's not an automatic/gravity/butterfly knife, I don't see any legal issues with it.

Which is basically what I'm still unsure of.

I guess I'll just have to email and ask how one opens the blade.

I hope it doesn't meet the definition of a switchblade under our state law. I need a knife to match my SU-16CA :p

BKinzey
05-05-2010, 5:19 PM
I guess I'll just have to email and ask how one opens the blade....

While you're asking why not ask what feature makes it illegal in CA?:):)

GoodEyeSniper
05-05-2010, 6:22 PM
I bet it has an adjustable pivot, so if it opens loosely enough to be considered a gravity knife, then it can be tightened more and be okay.

I believe we also technically need a "bias towards closure", but that's a little fuzzy, and as long as the blade doesn't pop out under it's own weight you *should* be good. Since it has a liner lock, I'd bet it actually has a detent which makes the blade snap shut when nearly closed, so it's probably A-Okay.

Aside from the fact that it's ugly, probably has junk Chinese steel, and doesn't look very ergonomic, I'd say you're fine.

Lagduf
05-05-2010, 7:08 PM
I bet it has an adjustable pivot, so if it opens loosely enough to be considered a gravity knife, then it can be tightened more and be okay.

I believe we also technically need a "bias towards closure", but that's a little fuzzy, and as long as the blade doesn't pop out under it's own weight you *should* be good. Since it has a liner lock, I'd bet it actually has a detent which makes the blade snap shut when nearly closed, so it's probably A-Okay.

Aside from the fact that it's ugly, probably has junk Chinese steel, and doesn't look very ergonomic, I'd say you're fine.

You forgot to add: apparently more money than sense.

I only want this bayonet for my own amusement since I put a bayonet lug on my SU-16CA.

When I actually do need to use a real knife I just grab my Ka-Bar or multi-tool.

corrupt
05-06-2010, 2:00 AM
Shouldn't be illegal. They probably just figure that Californians still live like there's a federal AWB (which made bayo lugs a bad feature... even though it isn't a "evil feature" in California). I dunno, that's some pretty twisted logic, but that's all I can come up with. I bet that didn't make much sense to anyone.

Maybe they just thought a folding bayonet would upset California commie pinkos and so it's probably illegal anyway.

Or maybe they saw one in an action movie and screamed, "oh no, since it's in a movie it must be illegal in California since they ban anything cool in movies. Hell, they even elected Schwarzenegger! We must update our website!"

Lagduf
05-06-2010, 3:54 PM
I might buy it and have it mailed to a friend out of state. He can confirm for me how it opens.