PDA

View Full Version : NYTimes: Fear the gun that was never used

bulgron
05-05-2010, 3:33 PM
Faisal Shahzad had a gun that he never used, so let's throw ourselves into a panic over it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/nyregion/06gun.html?hp

It is fearsome looking, a carbine hybrid of pistol and long gun with a mouthful of a name: the Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000. Mr. Shahzad bought it, new, in March for about $400. It was found in the car that he drove to Kennedy International Airport on Monday, loaded, with multiple extra clips.

It is unclear whether, in the 50 days Mr. Shahzad was a registered gun owner, he ever once pulled the trigger.

So the point of this article seems to be that Shahzad had a gun that COULD be used to do damage, but was never ACTUALLY used to do damage, so let's all fly into a huge panic over it.

I wonder if the gun is more terrifying than the bomb he tried to set off.

The implication, I'm sure, is that we should ban all those scary black rifles, because a lame terrorist once thought to buy a black rifle.

And the propaganda just keeps rolling on....

Marxman
05-05-2010, 3:39 PM
What else would you expect from the New York Times?

b.faust
05-05-2010, 3:42 PM
"Suspect’s Gun Proved Easy to Obtain!!!!"

Because nobody else wanted it......

warbird
05-05-2010, 3:50 PM
You know what I find interesting. In the interest of banning guns the anti-gun groups and the California legilstaure when they get on their high horse have coined the term "evil black guns" everytime they want to go on a anti-gun rampage. So if something is black and capable of doing damage does that make it evil? Are black cars more evil that any other color? When Sacramento sheriff deputies don all black uniforms and carry black assault rifles, glocks, and shotguns do they automatically go over to the dark side? If so maybe citizens seriously need guns to protect themselves. How about the rest of the police departments in California? If everything was in white would it be "Evil white"? Granted black has been associated with with evil for hundreds and maybe thousands of years and certainly got a boost from Nazi Germany. If that is the case and we find that color so evil why have so many police departments switched to that color? I have always found it amazing about how schizod our society has become over this color and its meaning towards objects that are of no threat to a human until picked up and used by a human. And yet once again the word black raises it's scary head in realtionship to this want to be terrorist who could not even follow the instructions for a successful bomb. God knows if he tried to fire that gun he probably would have killed himself and we would not be getting intelligence information from him now.

winnre
05-05-2010, 3:56 PM
Clips? The writer meant magazines. That tells me a LOT about what he really knows about firearms.

Marxman
05-05-2010, 4:02 PM
Clips? The writer meant magazines. That tells me a LOT about what he really knows about firearms.

Reminds me of Counter-Strike. You can't have your deagle without clips.

PEBKAC
05-05-2010, 4:06 PM
Reminds me of Counter-Strike. You can't have your deagle without clips.
AK-47 is the most accurate gun in the universe, capable of picking off heavy armored combatants from over 2 miles away.

Also
QFT.

tombinghamthegreat
05-05-2010, 4:15 PM

Soo true a plastic piece of junk.

CCWFacts
05-05-2010, 4:16 PM
The bomb vehicle also contained a gun locker filled with fertilizer! But not the kind of fertilizer that actually can go boom (ammonium nitrate), but just plain old decomposed compost type fertilizer! That is fertilizer which is produced from cows.

Therefore, the logical next step is, we should ban BS because a terrorist tried to blow us up using BS!!!

Ding126
05-05-2010, 4:30 PM
Guns are not evil...........

Marxman
05-05-2010, 4:31 PM
The bomb vehicle also contained a gun locker filled with fertilizer! But not the kind of fertilizer that actually can go boom (ammonium nitrate), but just plain old decomposed compost type fertilizer! That is fertilizer which is produced from cows.

Therefore, the logical next step is, we should ban BS because a terrorist tried to blow us up using BS!!!

There's some relevance to that - they like to ban things they say can harm, he tried to blow up compost ergo ban compost! Even if they actually thought like that, though, they'd say it's irrelevant compared to the evil, deadly accurate sniper-pistols. They use their high capacity magazines and multi-killshot mode to shoot people around corners, and curve bullets! You've seen WANTED, right?!

stix213
05-05-2010, 4:35 PM
From the article:

The authorities have not disclosed, if they have learned, what Mr. Shahzad planned to do with that gun.

Considering he left the gun in his vehicle, and boarded a plane to the middle east likely to never look back, I think he didn't have a very sophisticated plan for that rifle. Basically to just let gravity keep it there until someone else got sick of his abandoned car.

b.faust
05-05-2010, 4:48 PM
Considering he left the gun in his vehicle, and boarded a plane to the middle east likely to never look back, I think he didn't have a very sophisticated plan for that rifle. Basically to just let gravity keep it there until someone else got sick of his abandoned car.

Or figured if he had to blow himself up, he could just load the rifle and pull the trigger.
;)

artherd
05-05-2010, 5:00 PM
Let's just hope they keep training terrorists to be morons.

smarter
05-05-2010, 5:13 PM
From the article: He left for a two-week waiting period.

Shows that waiting period doesn't work. Someone with intent will out wait the waiting period. *sigh*

jaustin612
05-05-2010, 5:43 PM
fearsome looking, I wonder what they would say if they saw some of the stuff I got...:)

Whoa Nellie
05-05-2010, 5:45 PM
If the bomber had killed Bloomberg he would have done freedom and liberty a big favor.

Shotgun Man
05-05-2010, 6:11 PM
fearsome looking, I wonder what they would say if they saw some of the stuff I got...:)

Yeah, that line pretty much dispensed with the idea of objectivity in reporting.

GoodEyeSniper
05-05-2010, 6:12 PM
multiple extra clips.

redundant much?

kermit315
05-05-2010, 6:15 PM
Let's just hope they keep training terrorists to be morons.

Even for as much as he is "cooperating", I believe this wasnt a serious attempt to blow anything up, but a probing action.

Any retard can build a car bomb. I mean, seriously, compost.!.

I think they have been pressing buttons for the last few months, judging our reactions.

We keep patting ourselves on the back saying "we caught them", however, the total juvenile attempt at this just makes me believe that catching him, and him "cooperating" was just too damn easy.

I just dont get a good feeling from some of the things we have seen the past 6 months or so. Call me paranoid if you want.

Oh yeah, and the gun thing. Typical NY times crap.

Hoologan
05-05-2010, 6:20 PM
some law enforcement experts have surmised that he had it to fire at officers in case he was pulled over.

How did they arrive at that conclusion??

pointedstick
05-05-2010, 6:22 PM
Even if people on the terrorist watchlist were prohibited from buying guns, this clown could still have been able to buy the gun because he was only put on the list after the car bomb incident (and even then, he was able to board a plane anyway :rolleyes:).

Not that it matters to Bloomberg.

loather
05-05-2010, 6:24 PM
Are black cars more evil that any other color?

Funny you mention that, as the legislature last year tried to ban them.

kermit315
05-05-2010, 6:24 PM
How did they arrive at that conclusion??

Thats another problem I have with this whole scenario. If he bought the gun to fight his way out of getting pulled over, why is he all of a sudden so open and cooperative with the authorities after they walk him off an airplane.

Aleksei Vasiliev
05-05-2010, 7:40 PM
Because the Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 is classified as a rifle, it required no permit, as pistols do in Connecticut. But with its folding stock, hand grip and appetite for pistol ammunition and not rifle ammunition, the Kel-Tec was about as close as one could get to a pistol that is not technically one.

The Kel-Tec gun is about two and a half feet long, but for storage or carrying, the barrel can be folded back over the stock, cutting its length almost in half.

It weighs four pounds unloaded, has front and rear sights for aiming and a grip like one on a pistol. The rifle is unusual in that it fires pistol rounds — in this particular gun’s case, 9-millimeter rounds. It fires its rounds as quickly as one can pull the trigger; it is not a machine gun, but fast enough. The number of bullets it holds varies with the size of the magazine. Kel-Tec sells it with 10-round magazines.:willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

It has SIGHTS! And it's semi-auto!

The bolded section was edited out but was originally in the article.

SigAlert
05-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Not as easy as fireworks, propane tanks and gasoline.
:eek:

Scratch705
05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
we should get getting all guns colored white.

nick
05-05-2010, 10:41 PM

I do want it, I just can't get it in this stupid state.

Werewolf1021
05-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Sent a message to the author including this youtube video QzmVJ1rXD9U Waiting eagerly for a reply.

chip3757
05-06-2010, 8:13 AM
It’s black, it has some plastic and polymer — it has that military look, but all it really is a really big handgun.”

At least there was a sliver of common sense in the article.

That Youtube video is perfect! I'm posting it on my facebook so hopefully my gun grabbing co-workers and family/friends will not sound like complete idiots when they bash on gun rights.

Untamed1972
05-06-2010, 8:20 AM
So what does this story really tell us about this terroist?

1) He sucks at making bombs

2) He has terrible taste in firearms

LOL....dont get your panties in a twist Keltec owners.....I'm just havin' fun.

SuperSet
05-06-2010, 8:25 AM
Haha.. as if the Spongebob timer wasn't amateurish enough.

Ike Arumba
05-06-2010, 8:51 AM
multiple extra clips.

redundant much?

From the Department of Repetitive Redundancy Department.

Untamed1972
05-06-2010, 9:42 AM
From the Department of Repetitive Redundancy Department.

:rofl2: