PDA

View Full Version : Help with a speech

straightpuke
05-05-2010, 4:32 PM
I will be doing a persuasive speech about the right to bear arms for my public speaking class. I am arguing that we SHOULD have the right to bear arms and the right to CCW. Does anybody have any cool stories that favor this? Also, any statistics with sources?

Thanks ahead of time :)

damon1272
05-05-2010, 7:49 PM
For stories and stats go to gunnewsdaily.com They have a ton of stories that are compiled every day and many links to the NRA and other organizations that support gun rights and the stats that you need. Good luck.

ZUMNDAD
05-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Also check into the books by Dr. John Lott, namely "More Guns, Less Crime" and "The Bias Against Guns". Over 20 years of imperical evidence that gun control simply does not work.

Milsurp Collector
05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=280849&highlight=speech

Cobrafreak
05-06-2010, 4:49 AM
Look at Florida's crime statistics before and after CCW became law. Fear mongers said crime would go out of control and death would skyrocket but in fact it went down far below the national average and Florida's norm after the CCW came. The only weapon the Libs have is FEAR. Left to just the facts of the matter they have nothing. Unfortunately for us FEAR makes great news sound bites, people have really short attention spans, and people vote mostly out of fear/greed/emotions rather than LOGIC/FACTS/COMMON SENSE.

Desert Dude
05-06-2010, 6:52 AM
I will be doing a persuasive speech about the right to bear arms for my public speaking class. I am arguing that we SHOULD have the right to bear arms and the right to CCW. Does anybody have any cool stories that favor this? Also, any statistics with sources?

Thanks ahead of time :)

Well Straightpuke, I would start off by saying we DO have the right to keep and bare arms. Cite the history behind the 2nd Amdt and then use clips from sources noted above.

$P-Ritch$
05-06-2010, 7:24 AM
I just did a very similar speech in my class, why CA needs to adopt a shall issue CCW policy.

Here were my keypoints:

-Disparity of force, 100lb woman against a 250lb man
-Relying on police protection folly, length of violent criminal attacks compared to average police response time and look at Castle Rock v. Gonzalez
-CCW doesn't mean more crime, Looked at the FBI Uniform Crime Report that had detailed stats on FL CCW model. In six years they issued 204,138 permits but only had 17 ever revoked due to criminal behavior of the liscensee. Murder rate went down, and so on.

Hope this helps, btw I got an A on the speech. :thumbsup:

mkkeele
05-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Download the pdf. from this website, http://www.gunfacts.info/ I used this for a speech I did in my public speaking class. It has a ton of cited facts you could use.

straightpuke
05-06-2010, 2:47 PM
Thank you so much, everybody! I will tell you how it goes after tomorrow :)