PDA

View Full Version : Shooting lead bullets in a Glock: yes or no?

Army GI
05-05-2010, 3:37 PM
I hear different things from different sources. But I thought I would get the definitive answer from calguns. Is it possible to shoot lead from a stock glock barrel?

Black Majik
05-05-2010, 3:37 PM
Yes, as long as it is cleaned regularly.

Joe
05-05-2010, 3:43 PM
you should add a poll

Bug Splat
05-05-2010, 4:01 PM
Possible, yes.
Recommended, no.

QuarterBoreGunner
05-05-2010, 4:04 PM
Yes, as long as it is cleaned regularly.

Exactly correct; you can shoot lead out of your Glock, but due to the type of rifling it has, the lead builds up faster so you just need to be more stringent in de-leading the barrel and more often.

Since Glock has no control over the end users cleaning regime, they flat out say 'NO'.

vega
05-05-2010, 4:30 PM
Is it possible to shoot lead from a stock glock barrel?
Yes it is possible, I shoot lead on my G22 stock barrel.

JTROKS
05-05-2010, 4:55 PM
If you are shooting less than 50 rounds and you keep an eye on how bad the barrel is fouling up with lead then, yes. Some lead bullets are hard enough to minimize the lead fouling, but some are too soft and if shot too fast as in velocity, it will have you crying during clean up time.

precisionshooter308
05-05-2010, 4:56 PM
Possible yes. Safe NO. I've seen barrel pressure gauge readings go off the charts with just a few rounds of lead bullets. To be safe shoot jacketed rounds only.

Gio
05-05-2010, 4:59 PM
Exactly correct; you can shoot lead out of your Glock, but due to the type of rifling it has, the lead builds up faster so you just need to be more stringent in de-leading the barrel and more often.

Since Glock has no control over the end users cleaning regime, they flat out say 'NO'.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I love when this question is asked about Glocks and shooting lead :laugh: To me my time is mire valuable to not spend a few bucks more per case of bullets that a Copper Jacketed ;)

I say if you really want to shoot lead boolits go with a aftermarket barrel like a LWD :)

-Gio

Voo
05-05-2010, 5:16 PM
Possible yes. Safe NO. I've seen barrel pressure gauge readings go off the charts with just a few rounds of lead bullets. To be safe shoot jacketed rounds only.

Im curious, exactly how is this done? I've always wanted to know how they measure the pressure inside the chamber as the gun was firing?

Can you share your experience?

Thanks.

Nynvolt
05-05-2010, 8:44 PM
Im curious, exactly how is this done? I've always wanted to know how they measure the pressure inside the chamber as the gun was firing?

Thanks.

Me too!

nn3453
05-05-2010, 9:06 PM

:rolleyes:

Here we go.

QuarterBoreGunner
05-05-2010, 9:13 PM

Thanks.

Strain gauge sensor glued to the chamber is the only definitive way to do it; in a functioning semi-automatic as opposed to a test barrel is... difficult, so yeah I'd be curious about your experience as well.

eaglemike
05-05-2010, 10:11 PM
It depends on if you know what you are doing. A properly sized and loaded moly-coated lead bullet loaded with the correct powder will allow you to shoot many hundreds of bullets from a factory Glock barrel without lead buildup. On the other hand, an undersize soft lead bullet will leave the factory barrel looking like you lined it with soft solder.

I've personally done this for 10's of thousands of rounds in various caliber Glock pistols, and have friends that have done this for hundreds of thousands of rounds.

IIRC Glock doesn't recommend reloaded ammunition......... too many liability issues.

If you don't know what you are doing, and don't know what to look for when proving your loads - DON'T DO IT!

If you don't understand the importance of properly sized lead bullets, DON'T DO IT.

Safety is paramount. If you don't know what you are doing, it's pretty hard to be safe..... :)

all the best,
Mike

Voo
05-05-2010, 11:26 PM
If you don't know what you are doing, it's pretty hard to be safe..... :)

haha.. thats a great line! Very true.. very, very true.

thekidprodigy87
05-06-2010, 12:25 AM
do NOT shoot a jacketed bullet after shooting lead unless you clean thoroughly.

goathead
05-06-2010, 2:10 AM
only if you have to... but no for me

Southpaw45
05-06-2010, 9:17 AM
I do it all the time with my Glocks but I'm using Bear Creek moly coated bullets. No leading what so ever..

vega
05-06-2010, 9:48 AM
I do it all the time with my Glocks but I'm using Bear Creek moly coated bullets. No leading what so ever..
I use the same boolits.

Gryff
05-06-2010, 9:58 AM
Don't do it. Or get an after-market barrel if you really want to shoot lead.

lazs
05-06-2010, 9:58 AM
I think the point is that yes.. if you clean the gun after every shot and make sure that no lead is left then of course it is safe.

Other than that.. you may shoot 1,000 rounds of lead with no cleaning and no problem and you may only shoot 20 rounds and have a kaboom.

The truth is that it is dangerous to shoot lead out of em.. How dangerous will vary depending on cleaning routine and fitting and lubrication of the bullet.

You are taking a chance tho.

Either just shoot jacketed bullets or get a new barrel that is compatible with lead.

But to me.. any handgun that won't shoot lead bullets safely is a handgun that I want no part of. The exception to that rule is a handgun that you don't shoot very often.

Army GI
05-06-2010, 1:24 PM
Thanks for summing it up guys, I guess I'll have to shoot jacket for now and wait until I get an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead.

nn3453
05-06-2010, 3:53 PM
Thanks for summing it up guys, I guess I'll have to shoot jacket for now and wait until I get an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead.

Folks are trying to misguide you. My advice would be to learn from the high volume competition shooters in this thread who know what they're talking about. Ignore the newbies and trolls who dislike "plastic guns." Ultimately, you should make up your own mind, but who are you gonna trust? Anyone with any credibility in this thread will tell you it is fine to shoot lead as long as you clean your gun regularly (few hundred rounds is fine. You don't have to clean it after every round) and more importantly don't use undersized and unlubed bullets. Try a brand of bullets and check bore for leading and go from there.

Good luck.

vega
05-06-2010, 5:28 PM
Wait don't sum it all yet, we're still waiting for precisionshooter308's experience.

Nynvolt
05-06-2010, 6:58 PM
Wait don't sum it all yet, we're still waiting for precisionshooter308's experience.

^ Yep :)

pyromensch
05-06-2010, 8:17 PM
i am going to back to the early 90's when glocks showed, up, in 9mm. a friend of mine bought one, (a sac county reserve deputy), and used it at the sheriff range, witch used lead reloads. we also reloaded ammo, with lead bullets, and never had a problem.

my 37 cents (inflation)