PDA

View Full Version : Bass fishing Piru and Curado 300

doorman
05-05-2010, 3:09 PM
Going to Piru saturday. Anybody know whats going on out there?

If you have a curado 300 check this out

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=297955

Abesnake
05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Doorman, I was at Piru two weeks ago. It cost $10 to get in and park or $27 for a camper overnight. They close at 7:30pm. I got there a little late in the day and didn't want to pay so I drove back about a mile from the entrance and and found an old DPW road a lot of guys walk down. It's a good hike to the shore and mostly on pebbles, but at the bottom there is nice little cove. The best fishing in Piru is on a boat or a float tube out in the lake. Be ready for some great stripers and big angry trout. The lady at the gate told me they can't stock trout right now, because environmentalists started a law suit, but there are some big ones in there. However, catfish and Bass, well they don't need advertising.

doorman
05-06-2010, 6:42 AM
Sweet thanks for the info. I will have to man up and pay the 10 and whatever extra it is to launch a boat. I will be straight bass fishing but I wouldn't mind a striper in the mix at all.
Enviro's ruin everything.
Thanks again.

Steyrlp10
05-06-2010, 8:40 AM
Doorman, have fun on the water!

Friends of mine just got back from a bass trip in Mexico. No BS, but they must have caught over 200 fish. There were so many bass (pre and post spawn,) that one of the guys has a bruise on his stomach from the pole during all the fights.

I thought it was a pretty disgusting layout:

1. Wake up call in the AM
2. Leisurely breakfast served
3. Guide takes you out for a few hours (they pre-pack all your gear in the boat)
4. Back to shore for lunch and a siesta
5. Out on the water for a few more hours
6. Back to shore for din-din and drinks

Most of the girls didn't go with the guys because there aren't any malls in that part of Mexico, but I would have lucked out since I have this phobia for malls (Dawn of the Dead, you know?) :)

doorman
05-06-2010, 8:43 AM
wow now that sounds like a good time. I've always wanted to go down there for some bass fishing. That sounds like an epic trip. Yeah you are way more zombie safe on a remote lake in mexico then at a mall downtown, good call.

doorman
05-06-2010, 2:35 PM
looks like a change of plans. skinner it is.

BigJB
05-06-2010, 4:20 PM
I don't understand it when guys pay all that $$ to fish bass in Mexico, when they can just as easily go down and tear into huuuge tuna and yellowtail all day, groupers and pargo, halibut you name it, come back with a years worth of fish.

There is a lagoon where my place is, like a big lake, full of bay bass, grouper, halibut, and a few snook. I took an old bass boat down so I take my customers "Bass fishing" if the ocean was too blown out.

Steyrlp10
05-06-2010, 4:33 PM
I don't understand it when guys pay all that $$ to fish bass in Mexico, when they can just as easily go down and tear into huuuge tuna and yellowtail all day, groupers and pargo, halibut you name it, come back with a years worth of fish.

There is a lagoon where my place is, like a big lake, full of bay bass, grouper, halibut, and a few snook. I took an old bass boat down so I take my customers "Bass fishing" if the ocean was too blown out.

Because they wanted to and it didn't cost them more than what I would spend competing in the Nationals for one week.

doorman
05-06-2010, 10:05 PM
that and they arent doing it for food. those are all released. bass fishing is what they do and they love it.

I do salwater fishing and all sorts of fishing and I love a good fish taco, but when it comes to bass fishing its a different world and I just enjoy it.

BigJB
05-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I've spent half my life in a float tube chasing bass in the dark of night. I just can't see going to Mexico for just bass. I know they have world class bass water, but man o man the things that lurk in the ocean down there.

Much of what I do in the salt I took from bass fishing, flipping jigs into cover, spinner baits in lagoons, swim baits, crank baits, even big-*** worms.

Theres bay bass that are pound for pound same size as a bucket mouth, but fight ten times harder, and they go nicely into a taco if you need one. Same for Calicos and sand bass. Grouper and Pargo will mess your bass rigs up.

To each his own.

doorman
05-07-2010, 6:41 AM
Can't argue you there. I love salwater bass fishing. I do all that, Spend a lot of time in my tube still in NPH, Alamitos and other jetties.

theres just something about LMB's that I always have to go back to.