PDA

View Full Version : How will YOU pay for college?

California Major
05-05-2010, 2:49 PM
Hello everyone, and thank you for looking.

I work as a Recruiting Assistant for the California Army National Guard. 20 years ago, I joined the Army to pay for my education, and I can tell you that the education benefits are even better today.

We offer the GI Bill, Student Loan Repayment Program, and Tuition Assistance.

If you are under 35, are in good general health, and have no felony convictions, shoot me an email.

We also accept prior service with good discharges (no RE-4 Re-enlistment codes!)

AJAX22
05-05-2010, 4:47 PM
So how exactly does the new gi bill work?

My understanding was that it is compleatly different from the gi bill my grandpa had when he came back from France in 46..

Now you have to specify that you want it when you enlist? And they deduct $100 from your pay each month for the term of your enlistment? And then you have 36 months of funding when you get out (so you can either get an aa degree or start on a ba degree but you can't finish it) to use it or it goes away?

How does it work? How much are the payments and for what duration?

What is the typical pay of enlisted personell and for how long can they be expected to remain in service nowadays?

How much can you expect to get reimbursed in student loans?

Are threre any strings attached? Do you have to agree to anything in order to receive the benefits? (what is the IRR?)

can you be called out of school and forced back into active duty? so far i've known at least two classmates who had served who were somehow not able to continue classes and I believe it was because they were redeployed.... Did this have to do anything with accepting the gi bill?

Ive always been curious how this system actually works....

winnre
05-05-2010, 4:58 PM
Army paid for my degree through VEAP, Montgomery GI Bill and SLRP.

Now after three years in the war I think I get even more education if I want it.

It's a great deal all around!

California Major
05-14-2010, 9:01 AM
I signed up in 1990 for a two-year hitch. Didn't plan at the time to become a lifer, or even to move over to the Guard after my Active Tour.

My contract was for $14,000 in GI Bill. But because I remained "active" by being in the Guard, my final tally was well over $30,000 in benefits.

Plus, I qualified for the Pell Grant ($3,000 a year) and the Work-Study program ($425 dollars a month, tax-free, to spend a few hours a day answering a phone at the VA center).

The new GI Bill includes a housing stipend, and the Guard has a tuition assistance program, plus a student loan repayment program.

Richie Caketown
05-14-2010, 9:09 PM
do you work with AMEDD ? like Radiology more specifically?

KeepingMyGuns
05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I signed up in 1990 for a two-year hitch. Didn't plan at the time to become a lifer, or even to move over to the Guard after my Active Tour.

My contract was for $14,000 in GI Bill. But because I remained "active" by being in the Guard, my final tally was well over $30,000 in benefits.

Plus, I qualified for the Pell Grant ($3,000 a year) and the Work-Study program ($425 dollars a month, tax-free, to spend a few hours a day answering a phone at the VA center).

The new GI Bill includes a housing stipend, and the Guard has a tuition assistance program, plus a student loan repayment program.

So where would I sign up for a work-study program?

KillZone45
05-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Email sent Mike.

California Major
08-27-2010, 3:20 PM
No longer working in the recruiting biz, but still serving. Happy to help if needed.

davesAR15
08-27-2010, 4:48 PM
are these programs for full time national guard? or reserves too?