PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Tomcat INOX? Buy or not....

Vsanzbajo
05-05-2010, 1:41 PM
I saw one at a gun store close to my house. Used, but in excellent shape for $299. What do you guys think?
And is the Tomcat a good gun?
Thanks in advance.

earchivist
05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
There has been a lot of bad press for the Tomcat about frame cracking. But I haven't had that problem. I got mine pretty early on. Although I must admit I haven't shot it very much. I think I've put around 500 rounds through it. Mostly S&B ball, with a few WW Silvertips. I like the Tomcat, it's the smallest pistol I own. Good luck with the INOX!

Bug Splat
05-06-2010, 11:55 AM
I've heard way more bad stories than good. Like said above, they are very well know for their frames cracking.

jermedic
05-06-2010, 4:17 PM
The frame on mine cracked after less than 60 rounds. Beretta's customer service is crap and did nothing to fix the situation. I would never reccomend the tomcat or a Beretta to anyone again.

taguin
05-06-2010, 4:26 PM
Have mine for 'bout six years now, never had a problem with.

jdg30
05-06-2010, 5:15 PM
I had a Beretta Tomcat .32 that I bought new about 7 years back. It was kind of fun to shoot but I had jamming problems with it where it wouldn't extract well and also wouldn't feed reliably. It seemed to work better with hotter ammo. I only shot a couple hundred rounds of factory ammo out of it total. Once I saw it wasn't faithfully reliable I started to lose interest in it and eventually sold it. I have not missed it at all.

For me, the pros of the gun were that it looked cool, was comfortable to hold, was very compact and easy to conceal. It was also pretty accurate for me within 7-10 yards. It had little recoil either.

The cons I didn't like was of course the lack of reliability, price of .32 ammo, ammo was harder to find than other calibers, the grips were plastic and seemed rather cheap and would shift often, requiring me to tighten the grip screw on a regular basis.

I think the Tomcat is a good gun to shoot as a plinker or fun gun, if that's what you are after, but if it is for a self defense gun I would definitely not trust my life to it or recommend it to anyone. I think there are better choices out there if you really want a .32.