PDA

View Full Version : PPT legal question

Kestryll
03-06-2006, 1:17 PM
I am working on a trade with a fellow board member that will involve shipping both handguns.
Unfortunately in reading the laws concerning this transfer I think we have a problem.
Am I correct in what I've read and what I've been told that unless the PPT is done in person, both parties at the shop, the handguns have to be on the CA DOJ safegun list? In other words since my older model S&W Model 60 .38 Spcl. is not on the list, all the S&W MOdel 60's I see on the list are .357 Magnums, it can only be sold Private Party in a face to face transfer?

Is this correct or have I missed some pertinant part somewhere?
Thanks for your input and help.

bwiese
03-06-2006, 1:29 PM
Yes, you have it right. Unlisted gun? Gotta be F2F PPT; can't ship it to a CA FFL and he "sells" it to the new buyer.

There are some possible LEO exemptions but I believe they're rare as hen's teeth.

phish
03-06-2006, 1:41 PM
I believe consignment purchases are also clear of the "safe handgun" rule. IIRC, consignments are like a PPT, the dealer just hangs onto it until some Joe wants to buy it. The original owner gets his cut, the dealer gets his nominal fee, and the buyer goes home happy after 10 days.

Rumpled
03-06-2006, 1:43 PM
Since I don't know, on a consignment sale does the seller have to show up when it is sold to make it PPT and not a dealer sale?

Kestryll,
Looks like one or both of you might have a road trip in your future (actually one now and one in ten days)

Kestryll
03-06-2006, 1:44 PM
Just to insure that I am using the right reference, according to this web site there are only 5 S&W Model 60's listed and all in .357 magnum. There is no other list is there? And since my Model 60 is a .38 Spcl. those models are not considered it are they?

Thanks for the help Bill!

Black_Talon
03-06-2006, 4:38 PM
Just to insure that I am using the right reference, according to this web site there are only 5 S&W Model 60's listed and all in .357 magnum. There is no other list is there? And since my Model 60 is a .38 Spcl. those models are not considered it are they?

Thanks for the help Bill!

The key is the actual model and "dash" number. I'm seeing 60-14, 60-15 and 60-18 listed. If yours isn't a -14, -15 or -18, you can only sell it FTF (or consignment) in Kali.

Kestryll
03-06-2006, 5:45 PM
Well that answers that, I just looked and mine has no dash, just 'mod.60'.
Crap. You know this whole list thing is nothing more than legalized, State sponsered extortion. Pay me or you can't do business in my neighborhood.
crap.

Pthfndr
03-06-2006, 7:51 PM
Since I don't know, on a consignment sale does the seller have to show up when it is sold to make it PPT and not a dealer sale?

No, on consignment sale the seller does not need to present when the sale is made.