PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Sporting Conversions/Home Depot mag kit

shopkeep
03-06-2006, 1:01 PM
Well folks, I know that purely by definition these kits satisfy the fixed mag requirements. I've been out to the range several times now with offlist rifles and they usually draw a bit of attention. My fear is that one day they're going to draw the wrong kind of attention.

Has anyone here had any experiences/encounters with Law Enforcement and a fixed mag AR-15/AK-47?

EBWhite
03-06-2006, 1:20 PM
Why not try using some silicone in the magwell just to make it looked sealed? and also pin it too!

shopkeep
03-06-2006, 1:26 PM
Why not try using some silicone in the magwell just to make it looked sealed? and also pin it too!

You know what... that's actually not a bad idea at all. I also ordered Armalite 10 round mags because they look similar to the ones promag has in the Vulcans.

thmpr
03-06-2006, 1:29 PM
Well folks, I know that purely by definition these kits satisfy the fixed mag requirements. I've been out to the range several times now with offlist rifles and they usually draw a bit of attention. My fear is that one day they're going to draw the wrong kind of attention.

Has anyone here had any experiences/encounters with Law Enforcement and a fixed mag AR-15/AK-47?

Shopkeep,
There was a thread I started several weeks ago concerning this same topic "Will the Sport Conversion kit satify/meet the "Fixed mag requirement"? And the outcome was confusing and no resolution to be found. I have made several calls to DOJ with no straight answer. The last info I received was that the NRA sent a letter to the DOJ for clarification. I have not heard anything back of this letter. I also sent an email to Sporting Conversions about this issue as well with no reply vial email or land line.
Bottom line: Who will be the first test case of the legality of the fixed mag requirement?
But I know some calgun members have gone to the range with no issues. It would be a good idea to bring the proper docs with you. I know I will.....

phish
03-06-2006, 1:43 PM
That thread is here somewhere, maybe p. 6 or p.7. Maybe Ramon can merge these two, or cut 'n paste the new posts here to that one.

tenpercentfirearms
03-06-2006, 1:52 PM
Don't bother contacting Sporting Conversions about it. They have not made any claims it was DOJ approved, they just sell them so you can fix a magazine to your rifle. That is it.

I don't want to give away too much information, but since the DOJ has pretty much destroyed the sales of the Sporting Conversions kit, there is no reason not to try and submit one for approval now and see if they will put their opinion in writing. There are also plans in the works to make a kit that will get DOJ approval.

Until there is written clarification from the DOJ, I wouldn't risk your freedom on the kit even though it clearly meets their definition of a fixed magazine. Be patient and something will develop.

ldivinag
03-06-2006, 1:55 PM
got any pixs of the PINNED mag thingee?

Jicko
03-06-2006, 2:00 PM
Actually, contacting SC is useless.... he already told me that CA DOJ wasn't going to "allow" his kit.... back in 2000.... hence.... he lowered the price to $6.95.... before this craze....

Don't bother contacting Sporting Conversions about it. They have not made any claims it was DOJ approved, they just sell them so you can fix a magazine to your rifle. That is it.

tenpercentfirearms
03-06-2006, 2:07 PM
They weren't going to allow his kit to fix a mag and circumnavigate the AR series ban. Harrot changed all of that. As we all know now, he was right back then (in a sense) as we all have stripped off-list lowers. True though, he isn't claiming it does anything other than fix the magazine with the use of a tool, so contacting him is pointless. You need to contact the DOJ and ask them to put their scare tactics in writing.

thmpr
03-06-2006, 2:46 PM
They weren't going to allow his kit to fix a mag and circumnavigate the AR series ban. Harrot changed all of that. As we all know now, he was right back then (in a sense) as we all have stripped off-list lowers. True though, he isn't claiming it does anything other than fix the magazine with the use of a tool, so contacting him is pointless. You need to contact the DOJ and ask them to put their scare tactics in writing.

a) "detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.

HHMMM...Scare tactics? Most definately........ It is obvious that the sport conversion kit does meet the law. I would like to see the DOJ remove the the allen nut with their bare hands, especially with the modified version kit.:rolleyes:

thmpr
03-06-2006, 2:57 PM
hhhmmmmm... Maybe the DOJ will create a fixed mag list ....:D

icormba
03-06-2006, 3:05 PM
I've had run in's with my fixed mag FAL, but that was only with the range master when he asked me to remove my mag during a cease fire. I just had to explain the thing & he was fine with it.

I get more flak when I bring my registered AR by other shooters complaining I shouldn't have an illegal assault weapon. :confused:

EBWhite
03-06-2006, 3:13 PM
We all know the sporting mag kit is 100% legal to the letter of the law. However, the DOJ is playing games and until we can prove this in court or one of their agents approves this in the letter you need to make the decision if you want to be the test case or not.

thmpr
03-06-2006, 4:13 PM
We all know the sporting mag kit is 100% legal to the letter of the law. However, the DOJ is playing games and until we can prove this in court or one of their agents approves this in the letter you need to make the decision if you want to be the test case or not.

Sure is!!!

Article 2. Definitions of Terms Used to Identify Assault Weapons

978.20 Definitions

The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1:

A: "detachable magazine" means any magazine that can be readily removed without the use of tools.

phish
03-06-2006, 4:15 PM
I get more flak when I bring my registered AR by other shooters complaining I shouldn't have an illegal assault weapon. :confused:

tell them to fornicate with themselves and mind their own business

don't hate the player, hate the game ;)

mkinla
03-06-2006, 4:20 PM
Because the police don't understand the way we do, do any of you guys bring the DOJ definition with you for those "just in case" situtations?

shopkeep
03-06-2006, 4:35 PM
Because the police don't understand the way we do, do any of you guys bring the DOJ definition with you for those "just in case" situtations?

I just bring three documents:

Copy of the Stag Letter (all my off-list rifles are built on stags)
Copy of the Feb 1 DOJ memo
Copy of the Kasler List

Haven't had any run-ins with LEOs yet though, I'll keep you all posted. Something tells me the SC kit is lawful though and so are the home depot kits.

klmmicro
03-06-2006, 8:23 PM
I have the Sporting Conversions kit and I am going to use it when I take my rifle to the range. I see people shooting AR's at the range all the time and no-one says anything. My friend even had an off duty police officer show him how to break down his AR and what to clean/oil while we were up there shooting. The fixed mag worked and that officer was informed.

Granted the kit was never drawn into question. The officer realized the magazine was fixed and checked that the weapon was clear without dropping it.

Regardless of that, I will carry the letters that are available and copies of the statutes that pertain to my rifle...just in case I have to educate anyone questioning.

thmpr
03-06-2006, 8:40 PM

Finally received a response from Mike L., owner of SC, and he stated that he is in the process of submitting their product to the DOJ. Will notify Calguns as soon as I receive an email from SC.