PDA

View Full Version : Accidental Discharge

sker13
05-05-2010, 9:24 AM
First ever happened to me yesterday after thousands of rounds fired safely. I was moving some stuff around in my safe and knocked my Beretta Tomcat .32 off of the top shelf. It fell to the bottom of the safe and went off. I was lucky nothing was damaged and I wasn't shot. The safety was on. The case had the slightest primer strike. It did not cycle. The discharged empty case was still in the chamber. I don't know how this could happen but I won't be storing it with one in the pipe anymore. Should this be looked at by a smith? Go ahead and flame about safe gun handling. I CCW and am confident in my ability to handle firearms safely. Just freaked me out a little! I will try to post a pic of the primer strike and what is left of the bullet later.

69Mach1
05-05-2010, 9:27 AM
Glad you were not hurt. I thought the Tomcat was on the drop test approved handgun list. When the safety is engaged, the slide does not move.

mydogsmonkey
05-05-2010, 9:34 AM
thats crazy, glad no1 was hurt. shouldn't the beretta have passed the drop test in the CA roster program? guess thats useless, nothing new there, and yeah for a safe gun i would keep it none in the chamber

nso1
05-05-2010, 9:38 AM
the two luckiest people in california right now are the mega millions winner and you.

gregs887
05-05-2010, 9:54 AM
That would have scared the everloving crap out of me. Glad you weren't hurt.

littlejake
05-05-2010, 9:58 AM
If it's a light strike, it could be the inertia of the firing pin struck the primer when the gun hit the bottom of the safe.

I don't think the 3032 has a firing pin safety block. (I could be wrong.)

The 3032 might pass the drop test when dropped so the hammer is hit; but muzzle down, the firing pin could travel forward hitting the primer.

All speculation of course.

JohnnyC
05-05-2010, 9:59 AM
Ooops

Once A Marine
05-05-2010, 10:00 AM
The drop test is to simulate a fumble from the holster, and is done at ~40 inches. A drop from a top shelf of a safe is probably twice that distance.

Ducman
05-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Wow, glad you were unharmed.

cyclenut
05-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Glad you weren't hurt. Interested in the pics of course.

KillZone45
05-05-2010, 11:03 AM
the two luckiest people in california right now are the mega millions winner and you.

That would have scared the everloving crap out of me. Glad you weren't hurt.

Something similar happened to me, but with a .45, I thought I shot my hand and was scared to look at it. It barely missed my hand, I dont know if it was the muzzle blast or the bullet that shredded the end of my hoody. Bullet grazed the bed and went through the headboard and hit the wall but bounced out. Still havent got over that, so I currently do not have my 45 with a bullet in the chamber. I do have my SG chambered though, the safety is on and I have a piece of painters tape on the receiver that says "loaded". It was very nerve racking.

UserM4
05-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Something similar happened to me, but with a .45, I thought I shot my hand and was scared to look at it. It barely missed my hand, I dont know if it was the muzzle blast or the bullet that shredded the end of my hoody. Bullet grazed the bed and went through the headboard and hit the wall but bounced out. Still havent got over that, so I currently do not have my 45 with a bullet in the chamber. I do have my SG chambered though, the safety is on and I have a piece of painters tape on the receiver that says "loaded". It was very nerve racking.

What kind of gun is your .45 and what where the circumstances that lead to the gun firing?

Bug Splat
05-05-2010, 12:05 PM
No AD at home. I did have an AD at the range when I accidentally bumped my super light trigger bench gun. I was getting ready to fire but pulled away to get something out of my gun case on the table. As I lifted the case over the loaded rifle in the rest the case slipped and landed on the rifle. BANG! Looked around and no one noticed :D. Because the gun weighed 20 pounds and was only a 223 it didn't even move and it hit only an inch away from dead center on the target.

CSACANNONEER
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
The drop test is to simulate a fumble from the holster, and is done at ~40 inches. A drop from a top shelf of a safe is probably twice that distance.

I wish I had a safe with a shelf that was 80" (over 6 1/2') from the ground. The top shelves in my safes are +/-50" from the ground.

huck
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM

I always thought the drop-test was 10 feet, but I just looked and you're right - one meter.

guitargeak99
05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Go ahead and flame about safe gun handling.

No flaming coming from me. I am very confident in my gun handling ablilities too, but would never assume that something like that couldn't happen. I have my pistols loaded in the safe as well - I'll definitely evaluate. Thanks for posting.

Once A Marine
05-05-2010, 12:18 PM
I wish I had a safe with a shelf that was 80" (over 6 1/2') from the ground. The top shelves in my safes are +/-50" from the ground.

Ok..so maybe a bit overestimating the actual height (just figuring my top shelf is about eye level, and where my gun sits on my hip).

The key point is that the test is for 40 inches - the gun manufacturers probably ensure that it will be safe at 40 inches. The state verifies in testing for 40 inches.

Anything tested at 40 inches can still fail at 40 inches or lower. But we should all expect that all bets are off at falls from a greater height.

BunnySlayer
05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
As this is not one of those idiot moments it should serve as a lesson to us all that there are no safeties but the one behind your eyes. This could hapen to just about anyone. Never trust any gun and never trust any mechanical safety device as they are ALL prone to failure at times. Thanks for sharing.

stix213
05-05-2010, 1:13 PM
Glad no one got hurt! I would have crapped my pants if that happened to me. This definitely confirms my practice of locking in a loaded mag but keeping the chamber empty.

11Bforme
05-05-2010, 1:15 PM
I dont know about you but i think there is a Difference between an AD and a ND. I consider a accident something that is the weapons or ammo's fault and something that was human error as an Negligent discharge.

I use to hate people who fired rounds into clearing barrels claiming they had an "AD". I was like no you messed up that is an ND.

Just my 2 cents....

1911Operator
05-05-2010, 1:17 PM
thats not bad, its happened to me before when I was handling a double action. but I had a friend on guard duty in iraq that let off 3 rounds out of a SAW! that was scary!

dfens
05-05-2010, 1:31 PM
Actually I've seen a video of the drop test and they don't test it out of a actual holster they have this speical rig set up so that it falls from every angle.

It has to pass all angles if it fails even 1 it won't pass.

The hardest one is muzzle down landing on the muzzle. If the gun doesn't have a firing pin block foward inertia will cause the firing pin to keep moving foward and it will go off. The video was showing a 1911 with out a firing pin block and of course if failed only the muzzle test which 1911's are famous for.

Most companies do similar testing and they are the exact same as the drop test so if it has a firing pin block it's pretty much it's guarenteed to pass. The only problem is the doj list covers besides the drop test other things and that's why we can't get newer guns.

I'm not to sure if this litte Beretta has a firing pin block, the safety might be like my 92FS and only disables the trigger only no firing pin block.

I would call Beretta and probably see it gunsmith just to be safe. Most guns should not go off even if dropped unless the trigger catches something on the way down.

Foriegn power
05-05-2010, 2:12 PM
Having a ccw proves nothing that you are proficient with firearms, fortunate no one was hurt, were the authorities called?

Desert Dude
05-05-2010, 2:15 PM
I guess I must be the only one here who NEVER keeps a gun loaded in my safe. Since I am a Cowboy Action Shooter many of my guns ( 8 to 10) are moved from the safe to my vehicle on a weekly basis. We are VERY strict about handling them and constantly check to insure they are not loaded when we pack up. Even though we know they are not loaded in the safe we check them before going into the truck.

Home defense and ccw guns are not kept in the gun safe unless we are gone for several days and do not take them. When they go into the safe they are unloaded first.

Sure glad to hear you were not hurt because of this incident.

darkknight
05-05-2010, 2:21 PM
buy a lotto ticket quick for ur goodluck. but on a more serious note glad ur safe.

dellgsg5
05-05-2010, 2:26 PM
Glad you weren't hurt, you are on lucky man.

sker13
05-05-2010, 3:19 PM
Having a ccw proves nothing that you are proficient with firearms, fortunate no one was hurt, were the authorities called?

I knew it was coming...Agreed! I have seen some in the CCW training classes that I really didn't want to share the same firing line with. Fortunate yes! Authorities no. I live in a large house and I doubt the sound of the .32 inside the safe was even audible outside my home. Thick metal with particle board and carpeting did a lot to suppress the sound.

As far a being proficient. I am confident enough that I don't need respond to condescending remarks from someone I don't know on a forum. All I will say is that I have fired thousands of rounds from many different firearms since 1982 inc. rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Also, I train regularly and enjoy it! I certainly can't prove anything typing on a forum and you can't either.

jmv7000
05-05-2010, 3:32 PM
Glad your okay! That really stinks! I appreciate you sharing, any reminder to use precaution and safety is always appreciated!

The man who trained me once said, "It's not if you will have an accidental gun charge, it's when."

1911Operator
05-05-2010, 6:20 PM
Glad your okay! That really stinks! I appreciate you sharing, any reminder to use precaution and safety is always appreciated!

The man who trained me once said, "It's not if you will have an accidental gun charge, it's when."
yup! just like a motorcycle rider. "there are those who have been down, and those that are going to go down!" just a matter of time and its going to happen. a real grim way to look at it but its true.

Bad Voodoo
05-05-2010, 6:25 PM

He might be thinking of his old armorer at the base. ;)

jmzhwells
05-05-2010, 6:30 PM
I keep mine with one in the pipe, but barrel in the up position.

airuke
05-05-2010, 6:58 PM
Glad you were not hurt really scary Could something like that happen to a Glock if it was dropped

NorcalGSG
05-05-2010, 7:38 PM
If it's a light strike, it could be the inertia of the firing pin struck the primer when the gun hit the bottom of the safe.

I don't think the 3032 has a firing pin safety block. (I could be wrong.)

The 3032 might pass the drop test when dropped so the hammer is hit; but muzzle down, the firing pin could travel forward hitting the primer.

All speculation of course.

He's right, probably landed muzzle down just right for the floating firing pin to slam foreward just enough to strike the primer. I'll admit it, I dropped my tomcat once, and yes I was scared for that split second like no other! Good reminder to always be extra careful to not drop anything you don't want to be dropped!!!

steve92407
05-05-2010, 7:48 PM
god loves you

Shoot-it
05-05-2010, 7:56 PM
Glad you didn't get hurt.
I myself always put my guns away un loaded and I will check them many times over to make sure they are un loaded. I know everyone is different.

I had a ad once a few years ago I had my 1911 inside a cow corral just got done putting down an animal and for some reason decided to try and de cook a single action.That scared me real good.The good thing I had it pointed down but I still kick myself in the butt for that one.

DPC
05-05-2010, 7:56 PM
Went out into the garage a year or two ago and there was a big F%ckin hole in the ceiling. I asked my brother about it he said he didn't know the shot gun was loaded!!!

Foriegn power
05-05-2010, 7:59 PM
Above all for the original poster, I'm glad no one was hurt or killed no offense intended but was the firearm holstered?

Twiggz
05-05-2010, 8:07 PM
Note to self... never keep one in the chamber.

Like everyone else said, I'm glad no one was hurt. So... how much damage did the round do? I figure not much if it shot into the floor of your safe.

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
05-05-2010, 10:18 PM
that is exactly why i keep my HK unchambered

Doheny
05-05-2010, 10:21 PM
I guess I must be the only one here who NEVER keeps a gun loaded in my safe.

+1

We just had a thread here a few days ago where people said they keep all their guns in their safe loaded. I don't understand why.

MT1
05-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I guess I must be the only one here who NEVER keeps a gun loaded in my safe.

Same here.

Bobula
05-05-2010, 11:01 PM
My 21A will fire with the safety engaged as well, it just won't cycle. I don't know about if its dropped. I sent it back to beretta and was told nothing was wrong...

lehn20
05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
1. All guns are always loaded
2. No such thing as an AD. Only ND's.

KillZone45
05-05-2010, 11:11 PM
What kind of gun is your .45 and what where the circumstances that lead to the gun firing?

Its an XD, it was my fault, I had the gun out and I dropped the mag and went to pull the slide back to eject the round and I accidentally pulled the trigger. Just a total dumbass mistake on my part. I should have known better, accidents happen and that is why I dont keep a round in the chamber, it freaked me the eff out! I first off didnt wanna tell this story but I am man enough to admit when I eff up.

goathead
05-06-2010, 1:14 AM
Glad no one got hurt

Echidin
05-06-2010, 8:58 AM
This definitely confirms my practice of locking in a loaded mag but keeping the chamber empty.

I practice this as well with the sole intent of avoiding any chance of an AD.

pyromensch
05-06-2010, 7:59 PM

height, notwithstanding, the firearm fell to the bottom of a steel safe, where there is relativley, no inertia absorbtion, (steel to steel impact).

Turbinator
05-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Glad you were not hurt really scary Could something like that happen to a Glock if it was dropped

Highly unlikely unless an extreme catastrophic failure were to happen. All Glocks have a striker block / striker safety, the striker cannot move forward unless a small button in the slide is depressed. The button is only depressed if the trigger is pulled. Therefore, a simple drop from any height won't result in a discharge, at least not from the striker hitting the primer, anyway.

Turby

Once A Marine
05-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Highly unlikely unless an extreme catastrophic failure were to happen. All Glocks have a striker block / striker safety, the striker cannot move forward unless a small button in the slide is depressed. The button is only depressed if the trigger is pulled. Therefore, a simple drop from any height won't result in a discharge, at least not from the striker hitting the primer, anyway.

Turby

The Glock also has a drop safety, which requires the trigger bar to move towards the back of the pistol a short distance before dropping down to engage the connector. Coupled with the firing pin safety, the Glock is a pretty darn drop-proof against AD. Of course, eventual wear and tear can reduce the effectiveness of the safeties.

johnthomas
05-06-2010, 11:41 PM
I guess I must be the only one here who NEVER keeps a gun loaded in my safe. Since I am a Cowboy Action Shooter many of my guns ( 8 to 10) are moved from the safe to my vehicle on a weekly basis. We are VERY strict about handling them and constantly check to insure they are not loaded when we pack up. Even though we know they are not loaded in the safe we check them before going into the truck.

Home defense and ccw guns are not kept in the gun safe unless we are gone for several days and do not take them. When they go into the safe they are unloaded first.

Sure glad to hear you were not hurt because of this incident.

No, your not. I keep one gun loaded near my bed. Not chambered. All my handguns in the safe are holstered with mags in the holster not the gun. None of my rifles or shotguns are loaded. When company comes over, the loaded gun goes on the top shelf in the closet and safes are locked. By the way, I'm glad I'm not the only one either. The one's that scare me are the one's in another thread that keep their Mosin Nagant loaded and chambered in an apartment.

Ishoot
05-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Whew, you lucked out on that one. I personally never keep any firearm loaded with one in the chamber, in the safe but to each his/her own. Figured if I don't have enough time to open my big safe, insert a mag and rack, then oh well. Glad no one got hurt on your end.