PDA

View Full Version : American Idol and British Idiocy

FastFinger
05-05-2010, 8:11 AM
American Idol judge Simon Cowell has written an editorial aimed a British voters and their upcoming election.

He illuminates some legitimate concerns, and one interesting aspect of modern life in England...

And I think this is down to a breakdown of rules. When I was young and we got caught pinching apples, we got a smack from the local policeman. Today if that happened he would be sued.

There is a tendency to punish the victim, not the criminal. If someone broke into my house or my mum's house, I worry that the burglar has more rights than me.

Knife crime is out of control. Over 100 serious knife crimes are committed every single day in this country.

And now I feel you are more likely to be convicted of speeding at 45 miles an hour than if you knifed somebody in the street. The problem is we have just got used to this.

Part of the solution is zero tolerance to anyone carrying a knife, but also giving kids who have run out of hope the feeling that they are being listened to and they have a future.

Well good luck with that. Get rid of knives, then next time we'll be dealing with pencils, then making everyone wear padded mittens. And on and on.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/election2010/2959573/Simon-Cowell-says-General-Election-MUST-bring-change-to-Britain.html#ixzz0n4WKfwCo

AndrewMendez
05-05-2010, 8:19 AM
It was all going good....until the last sentence. This guy is a tool on American Idol, why should any of us expect anything different from him?

hill billy
05-05-2010, 8:21 AM
It was all going good....until the last sentence. This guy is a tool on American Idol, why should any of us expect anything different from him?

Exactly. I sure wouldn't trust a guy with a haircut like that to tell me how to live my life. :D

barrym66
05-05-2010, 8:32 AM
Typical modern English attitude that has been bred by growing up in a Big Gov't nanny state culture.

Ban guns...Ban knives...oppressive use of security cameras...unrestrained immigration and ridiculous "hate crime" and free speech restrictions.

And this is the direction we are being pushed/dragged/blindly going in here in the good old US.

(BTW - shouldn't this be in the Off-Topic forum???)

Cobrafreak
05-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I heard they were banning glass beer pint glasses to be replaced with plastic ones as the glass one can be used as a deadly weapon. Stupid is as stupid does.....

Barabas
05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I heard they were banning glass beer pint glasses to be replaced with plastic ones as the glass one can be used as a deadly weapon. Stupid is as stupid does.....

It's a done deal, already.

a1c
05-05-2010, 12:06 PM
While I appreciate that the guy restored the much needed character of the straight-talking hardass in contemporary pop culture, I am not sure he is the right guy to lecture anybody in good manners.

juicemansam
05-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Typical modern English attitude that has been bred by growing up in a Big Gov't nanny state culture.

Ban guns...Ban knives...oppressive use of security cameras...unrestrained immigration and ridiculous "hate crime" and free speech restrictions.

And this is the direction we are being pushed/dragged/blindly going in here in the good old US.

(BTW - shouldn't this be in the Off-Topic forum???)

I have a tendency to skip words or unconsciously replace words when I read. I read Californian instead of English.

dantodd
05-05-2010, 1:31 PM
England already has ridiculously stringent knife laws.

to wit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5914307/Woman-28-told-to-prove-age-to-buy-pizza-cutter.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5278586/Shopper-asked-for-proof-of-age-to-buy-Asda-teaspoons.html

stix213
05-05-2010, 1:55 PM
I propose forced state sponsored genetic engineering of the British populous as a whole to remove all violent tendencies. Build in an instinctual fear of anything sharp or heavy. Obviously banning knives hasn't gone far enough, and this is the only solution. :p

Or how about the UK gov stops restricting means of self defense?

CCWFacts
05-05-2010, 4:57 PM
Allow me to put in some comments to defend what that guy wrote...

"When knives are outlawed, only outlaws will have knives". Well, that's what has happened in the UK. The only people who carry knives there are thugs, yobs, etc. They are not carrying them for self-defense. They are carrying to cause harm. So when he says they should go after people who carry knives, it's a reasonable statement, given the context of who is carrying knives there these days.

It would be nice if he went on to add, "and we should adopt American-style CCW, so trained, background-checked individuals could defend themselves", but that's a separate issue.

B Strong
05-05-2010, 6:03 PM
20 years ago I vacationed in England, going to visit friends that I made through sportbike monkey business.

In all my years of running around, I have never seen so many street fights associated with being out on the town - the British love to drink, and evidently many of them love to fight.

I'm dead serious here - people would be obviously hammered and would start fighting for no reason other than they seemed to have the immediate urge to do battle.

I've been around, and nothing I have seen here prepared me for the general level of violence I observed - and I wasn't hanging with lowlifes either - these were responsible adults (other than their prediliction for riding sportbikes at high velocity ) with responsible, high paying jobs.

They accepted the general level of violence as a normal thing.

When I commented on it, one of the seemingly common opinions was that I (as in Americans) wasn't used to it because everybody in America carried guns and we didn't act the way the Brits did because anybody acting like they did would get shot...

My comment was that some folks acting in certain ways need to be shot.

It was written off as being a basic difference between the American and British character.

GearHead
05-05-2010, 6:47 PM
Allow me to put in some comments to defend what that guy wrote...

"When knives are outlawed, only outlaws will have knives". Well, that's what has happened in the UK. The only people who carry knives there are thugs, yobs, etc. They are not carrying them for self-defense. They are carrying to cause harm. So when he says they should go after people who carry knives, it's a reasonable statement, given the context of who is carrying knives there these days.

It would be nice if he went on to add, "and we should adopt American-style CCW, so trained, background-checked individuals could defend themselves", but that's a separate issue.

Shouldn't need a license to CCW, but that's a separate issue.

Kerplow
05-05-2010, 7:14 PM
It sounded to me like he was mocking the idea of more controls on weapons, or am I missing something?

N6ATF
05-05-2010, 11:29 PM
20 years ago I vacationed in England, going to visit friends that I made through sportbike monkey business.

In all my years of running around, I have never seen so many street fights associated with being out on the town - the British love to drink, and evidently many of them love to fight.

I'm dead serious here - people would be obviously hammered and would start fighting for no reason other than they seemed to have the immediate urge to do battle.

I've been around, and nothing I have seen here prepared me for the general level of violence I observed - and I wasn't hanging with lowlifes either - these were responsible adults (other than their prediliction for riding sportbikes at high velocity ) with responsible, high paying jobs.

They accepted the general level of violence as a normal thing.

When I commented on it, one of the seemingly common opinions was that I (as in Americans) wasn't used to it because everybody in America carried guns and we didn't act the way the Brits did because anybody acting like they did would get shot...

Armed and polite society. The prim and proper Brit stereotype is BS, from all I've read and heard straight from Brits themselves. Disarmed and riotous, crime ridden society.

It sounded to me like he was mocking the idea of more controls on weapons, or am I missing something?

Same here.

demnogis
05-06-2010, 12:38 AM
[...]
Let me get this straight... It's normal to the Brits to inflict violence upon each-other because... It's common? But we don't do it here because we carry guns?

How about the answer to that conundrum being that we don't (in general) act that way as a society because inflicting violence upon someone can land lethal repercussions? How about maintaining a decent level of respect for your fellow person. Respect their rights and wishes to not be accosted by some drunken buffoon. How about they have a minimal level of decency in their behavior and maybe a little less ill will. Whatever happened to professional courtesy? Or even just being plain courteous or professional?

Cobrafreak
05-06-2010, 3:41 AM
So is this why we have belligerent NFL fans but they have Soccer Hooligans? I've seen film clips of soccer riots in England from drunken angry fans that make the L.A. Riots look tame.

Mulay El Raisuli
05-06-2010, 7:13 AM

Better would be if he said 'and we should adopt American-style Constitutional Carry so that EVERY citizen could defend themselves, as is their God-given Right' (because the Right to protect oneself isn't limited to "trained, background-checked individuals").

But that's a separate topic.

The Raisuli

B Strong
05-06-2010, 7:30 AM
Let me get this straight... It's normal to the Brits to inflict violence upon each-other because... It's common? But we don't do it here because we carry guns?

How about the answer to that conundrum being that we don't (in general) act that way as a society because inflicting violence upon someone can land lethal repercussions? How about maintaining a decent level of respect for your fellow person. Respect their rights and wishes to not be accosted by some drunken buffoon. How about they have a minimal level of decency in their behavior and maybe a little less ill will. Whatever happened to professional courtesy? Or even just being plain courteous or professional?

Like I said, I had never seen anything like it before, nor have I seen anything like it since - and a branch of my family owned The Saddle Rack in San Jose.

My observation at the time was that some Brits just had some drive to engage in battle - I didn't see one fight that was the result of any "legit" causation that I observed.

The folks that I was visiting weren't in the mix in that way, but I was on the receiving end of some comments intended to get me involved.

It should be noted that the level of fighting skill I observed was at the drunken idiot stage of development, and I wouldn't put it up against the level of fighting I've seen on occasion here - it just occurred about 1000% more often than I'd have thought.

CCWFacts
05-06-2010, 7:45 AM
Better would be if he said 'and we should adopt American-style Constitutional Carry so that EVERY citizen could defend themselves, as is their God-given Right' (because the Right to protect oneself isn't limited to "trained, background-checked individuals").

But that's a separate topic.

Yes. CCW is shocking enough in for the Brits, even though (AFAIK) "Constitutional Carry" used to be legal there as recently as 100 years ago.

Anyway, in my opinion, there would need to be a training requirement. Brits of today have no firearms experience or training, and would be a danger to themselves and others. My take on the whole CCW vs. CC question is that VT-style makes sense in places where people have some understanding of guns. The scariest days at the range are when there's a Japanese tour group there.

Mulay El Raisuli
05-07-2010, 6:15 AM
Yes. CCW is shocking enough in for the Brits, even though (AFAIK) "Constitutional Carry" used to be legal there as recently as 100 years ago.

Anyway, in my opinion, there would need to be a training requirement. Brits of today have no firearms experience or training, and would be a danger to themselves and others. My take on the whole CCW vs. CC question is that VT-style makes sense in places where people have some understanding of guns. The scariest days at the range are when there's a Japanese tour group there.

I'm sure. But, people can learn & the whole idea of power residing in the hands of We The People is that we should be allowed to teach ourselves what we need to know. IOW, while an area might not have a 'gun culture' at present, a restoration of their Rights would lead to one in short order.

Limiting the Right until the people of a specified area can show that they can exercise it properly is a lot like limiting the Right to worship one's Creator until it is proved that it can be done properly.

Or limiting the Right to vote until it is proved that it can be done properly.

Or limiting any Right until it is proved that it can be done properly.

Which is why limiting the Right to Keep and Bear Arms until people have proved they can do so properly is (IMHO) so contrary to the very idea (and ideals) of Constitution.

I'm not saying that the free & unfettered exercise of the Right will necessarily be pretty. Just saying that its better than your way.

No insult intended.

The Raisuli