PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to run factory reloads?

Burtonwurton
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I just purchased a new Kimber Tactical Custom and I've been hearing horror stories with reloads. I just ordered some factory reloads from rmammo.com and was wondering if it's ok to shoot. Has anyone ever had any problems with rmammo reloads?

jumpthestack
05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I've shot about 500 of .45 ACP BVAC reloads from rmammo.com with no problems. I feel comfortable shooting reloads from large scale manufacturers. You just should watch out for companies nobody's ever heard of. BVAC sells many thousands of rounds a year on rmammo.com and a lot of other sites, so I think we'd have heard about if if they were causing problems.

Burtonwurton
05-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Great that put my mind at ease.. Thanks jumpthestack

den888
05-05-2010, 6:56 AM
Yes, professionally manufactured reloads should be fine.

huck
05-05-2010, 7:43 AM
I've shot over 1,000 rounds of the .40 from them. No problems.

CSACANNONEER
05-05-2010, 7:54 AM
I normally don't like to shoot other people's reloads. But, the only difference between thereloads that you are talking about and "new" ammo from the same licensed manufacturer is that the brass has been used before. If you trust the company to load good quality ammo, the difference between their "reloads" and their "new" ammo should be only the brass. Since .45acp brass can be re-used countless times, I would not have an issue with "used" brass.

stphnman20
05-05-2010, 8:01 AM
I wold never shoot anyone reload expect mine..

gdun
05-05-2010, 8:15 AM
I Can't even find these reloads on rrarms

Bug Splat
05-05-2010, 8:33 AM
I bought 1K 9mm and 1K of 40S&W from Miwall a few years ago. The 40S&W was fine but I had about 200 9mm rounds that were bulged and would not even chamber in my Glock. Big time swelling in the base of the case. I had already fired off 50 other rounds but sent the 950 back and got my money back minus the 50 rounds. That was the last time I ever bought factory reloads.

Burtonwurton
05-05-2010, 8:38 AM
Hey gdun, they have some factory reloads for $175 right now. I think they put it up for a few days already.

lazs
05-05-2010, 8:38 AM
yep.. Like step.. I won't shoot anyone's reloads but my own.

CSACANNONEER
05-05-2010, 8:41 AM
yep.. Like step.. I won't shoot anyone's reloads but my own.

Other than the brass being previously used, what's the difference between reloads and "factory" ammo that are made by the same company?

NOTHING

Of course, I prefer to shoot my own reloads over factory ammo too.

jabendan
05-07-2010, 8:49 PM
Why do you want to put 50 cent ammo through your $1100 Kimber? During the break in period (300-500 rounds), you should only use high quality FMJ, 230 G factory new brass. That's what Kimber and anyone who owns one will recommend. Once it's broken in then you can start experimenting with cheaper ammo then eventually reloads, but due to it's tighter tolerances you shouldn't break in the Kimber with crappy ammo. During break in my Kimber didn't like the CCI aluminum cased ammo. I had a FTF every 3rd round. Tried different mags...same results. Switched to decent FMJ brass and I never had a FTF again. I wouldn't fire anyone else's reloads either. I've seen a friends gun explode in his hand from firing 'once fired', reloads due to cartridge failure.

Hey if you don't want to spring for the ammo I'll give you $350 for your Kimber!!

Burtonwurton
05-08-2010, 9:43 AM
The problem is not me wanting to be cheap about my ammo. The problem is i can't find any ammo. When i do find ammo someone wants to charge me up the a** for it. I could buy it from them, but ill just feel taken advantage of.

Capt Jack
05-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't have any experience with rmammo but I also think we would have heard some horror stories by now as they seem to sell quite a bit of ammo. I would love a 1911 but there is no ammo at WW for it and its $30+ a box at the LGS when they have it which is enough to keep me happy with my 9mm for now...:rolleyes:

I say give it a try with 500 and see how it goes, maybe inspect a bunch of them randomly and compare to a factory round to see if there are any noticeable differences. Oh, and grats on a fine gun!

jabendan
05-08-2010, 5:16 PM
High quality FMJ, 230 G factory new brass during the break in period! Pay what they want then go with cheaper ammo later. 500 rounds at $20 a box is $200 to properly break in your $1100 gun. Seems like a no brainer!! Even if its $22-$25 a box the money will be well worth it.
Any die hard Kimber owner or someone from the factory will tell you not to put that crap through your Kimber during break in. I don't even do it AFTER the break in period of my Kimber. You bought a HIGH quality gun...treat her right. If you bought a Ferrari would you be trying to put Regular gas in it because Supreme was too expensive?? Same mentality!!

nn3453
05-08-2010, 5:41 PM
High quality FMJ, 230 G factory new brass during the break in period! Pay what they want then go with cheaper ammo later. 500 rounds at $20 a box is $200 to properly break in your $1100 gun. Seems like a no brainer!! Even if its $22-$25 a box the money will be well worth it.
Any die hard Kimber owner or someone from the factory will tell you not to put that crap through your Kimber during break in. I don't even do it AFTER the break in period of my Kimber. You bought a HIGH quality gun...treat her right. If you bought a Ferrari would you be trying to put Regular gas in it because Supreme was too expensive?? Same mentality!!

I would trust my reloads over any factory ammo I could find. I have seen factory ammo being loaded inconsistently as well. Nothing about factory ammo makes it holy or better. Most people can't reload and that is the problem with reloads. Do you actually know how ammo is made or do you just assume that reloads are bad because you don't seem to know much about reloading and you have heard from the company reps that "reloads are bad"?

Please. A Kimber is a good gun, but it is not a "Ferrari." No need to pamper it.

jabendan
05-08-2010, 6:24 PM
I would trust my reloads over any factory ammo I could find. I have seen factory ammo being loaded inconsistently as well. Nothing about factory ammo makes it holy or better. Most people can't reload and that is the problem with reloads. Do you actually know how ammo is made or do you just assume that reloads are bad because you don't seem to know much about reloading and you have heard from the company reps that "reloads are bad"?

Please. A Kimber is a good gun, but it is not a "Ferrari." No need to pamper it.

Just an analogy...don't get your panties in a twist.

bucktooth7
05-08-2010, 7:39 PM
Glock says not to use reloads, my lee reloading manual states not to use .40 reloads in glocks . Get a wolf barrel and reload like the wind! I bought some 9mm reloads for my G17 and had lots of ftf problems. I started rolling my own and have had no problem. If you shoot alot reloading is the only way to go.

hill billy
05-08-2010, 8:58 PM
I've shot about 500 of .45 ACP BVAC reloads from rmammo.com with no problems. I feel comfortable shooting reloads from large scale manufacturers. You just should watch out for companies nobody's ever heard of. BVAC sells many thousands of rounds a year on rmammo.com and a lot of other sites, so I think we'd have heard about if if they were causing problems.
That's kind of silly. How do you think big names became big names? That's what insurance is for.

lazs
05-09-2010, 8:25 AM
I have had more problems with factory ammo than I have with my own reloads.

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2010, 8:49 AM
Why do you want to put 50 cent ammo through your $1100 Kimber? During the break in period (300-500 rounds), you should only use high quality FMJ, 230 G factory new brass. That's what Kimber and anyone who owns one will recommend. Once it's broken in then you can start experimenting with cheaper ammo then eventually reloads, but due to it's tighter tolerances you shouldn't break in the Kimber with crappy ammo. During break in my Kimber didn't like the CCI aluminum cased ammo. I had a FTF every 3rd round. Tried different mags...same results. Switched to decent FMJ brass and I never had a FTF again. I wouldn't fire anyone else's reloads either. I've seen a friends gun explode in his hand from firing 'once fired', reloads due to cartridge failure.

Hey if you don't want to spring for the ammo I'll give you $350 for your Kimber!!

Total ignorance. I've put well over 30,000 rounds through my favorite Kimber. Maybe 400-500 of those were "factory" ammo. I did send the gun back to Kimber after the hammer broke (about 25K rounds) and now, it's good as new. Anyway, before I sent it in, I spoke FTF with Winslow (head of their custom shop) at SHOT '08. He had ZERO problems with me shooting my reloads. He was much more interested in seeing the broken hammer because, it's a rare part to break. I really think it broke due to running a few boxes of HOT FACTORY rounds through it once. Quality reloads, tuned to your particular gun, are always going to be better than mass produced factory crap. BTW, I've had more case failures with premium factory new ammo than with reloads.

Now, can you tell me what the difference is in the quaility of factory reloaded ammo vs factory new ammo loaded by the same licensed ammo manufacturer? Yea, the only difference is that the brass has been used before. Since used brass has been tested for week spots it should be more reliable than unfired brass, right? Also, since .45acp brass can safely be reloaded 100s of time, I don't see a problem with using once fired brass. Your buddy probably got low quality reloads and the same thing would have happened if the manufacturer had been using "new" brass.

Bedpan Bandit
05-09-2010, 9:28 AM
I've run about 500 rounds of Miwall factory reloads in my Kimber Eclipse without a single problem. Same reloads would jam every couple rounds in my Lone Wolf Glock 21 barrel. I'm not sure if Miwall reloads themselves or if the ammo is direct from the manufacturer. All the brass says Winchester and looks brand new. I trust the factory reloads, but they don't seem to work as well in guns with tight barrel tolerances.

CSACANNONEER
05-09-2010, 9:45 AM
I've run about 500 rounds of Miwall factory reloads in my Kimber Eclipse without a single problem. Same reloads would jam every couple rounds in my Lone Wolf Glock 21 barrel. I'm not sure if Miwall reloads themselves or if the ammo is direct from the manufacturer. All the brass says Winchester and looks brand new. I trust the factory reloads, but they don't seem to work as well in guns with tight barrel tolerances.

BOTH. They are a licensed manufaturer. They offer both "factory new" and "reloaded" ammo. The only difference is if the brass was used before or not.