PDA

View Full Version : CRPA Board Candidate Petitions

hoffmang
05-04-2010, 9:32 PM
Please find a prepared package of Petitions (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/crpa-board/2010-CRPA-P+C-Candidates-Petition-Package.pdf) to elect 6 members of the Calguns community to the CRPA Board of Directors in the Programs & Coalitions Development Committee. The 6 are Brandon Combs (wildhawker), Ben Henslin (obeygiant), Paul Nordberg (Kestryll), Fred Oey (FastFinger), Brett A. Thomas (the_quark), and Kevin L. Thomason (Oaklander.) I'll include their bios in a following post in this thread.

Instructions:

Download the PDF package of petitions for (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/crpa-board/2010-CRPA-P+C-Candidates-Petition-Package.pdf) the 6 candidates. If you have problems with the PDF Package, you can download each petition individually here (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/crpa-board/). This is a fillable PDF Form. if you are only signing for yourself, Place your name in "Name of Circulator." Place 1's in "Page __ of __" to make it say "Page 1 of 1" if that is correct. Place the date in "Date Signed", your name and residence (preferably where CRPA thinks you live), and your CRPA member number as well as date of birth in the first line. Print all 6. Sign on the first line and at the bottom above "Signature of Circulator". Note that you can and should certainly circulate to any friends who are CRPA members too.

Send the form to me using one of the following methods:
1. Scan 6 (or more) pages and email to hoffmang@hoffmang.com
2. Fax to 650-264-4701 (no cover sheet necessary)
3. Mail or courier to Gene Hoffman 3200 Bridge Parkway Suite 202 Redwood City, CA 94065.

Please try to get these back to me by June 4, 2010 we have time to get everything pulled together with plenty of time before the due date. I will track the count and forward to CRPA on the 15th.

Questions:

1. How were these people chosen/why isn't well known Calgunner X on the list?

There already are other Calgunners on CRPA board committees as a committee member which usually leads to them being elected as a director. As such the list of candidates doesn't reflect folks (like Bill Wiese or me) who are or will likely be on the board. Also, due to the required geographic balance in the CRPA bylaws, we've chosen three northern Californians and three southern Californians.

2. What does "I understand that signing more than one petition for any nominee for this California Rifle and Pistol Association Board of Directors election is prohibited" mean?

You may sign one time for any one specific CRPA member who is being petitioned for. You can sign as many different petitions for different candidates for the other board openings. AKA: Yes, you can sign all 6 petitions once.

3. Do I have to be a CRPA member?

Yes you do. Your member number will be checked to make sure you are valid. Please don't sign if you're not a member. You however do not have to have been a member for any amount of time. Feel free to join today (http://www.crpa.org/dept.aspx?dept_id=01) and then sign the petition (I don't think you can use a "3 month free" membership, but any of the usual paying memberships are good enough). If you do sign up to sign the petition you will need to contact the CRPA office to get your member number. If you can't recall/find your member number, you can also just call the CRPA office (http://www.crpa.org/contact.aspx) during normal business hours.

-Gene

hoffmang
05-04-2010, 9:40 PM
Bios:

Brandon Combs
Brandon Combs is the Treasurer of the Calguns Foundation, a Life Member of both the CRPA and NRA and a current member of SAF. A lifelong firearms enthusiast, his love affair with the John Moses Browning 1911 design predates his drivers’ license and often draws his attention away from the family heirloom Winchester Model 94s. Growing up in rural Fresno County, an appreciation of firearms as tools, a pastime and works of art was deeply ingrained and now takes center stage in his work to advance gun rights and culture in California. Mr. Combs currently serves as a business and claims consultant to the heavy construction industry. Previously, he served as Area Manager for two multinational engineering and construction corporations, specializing in large public works infrastructure projects for clients such as Caltrans and Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

When not volunteering for gun rights causes, Brandon enjoys spending time with his wife and two Akitas as well as visiting their ranch in eastern Washington.

Ben Henslin
Ben Henslin is an information technology professional specializing in the areas of networks, servers and security. Most recently he served as Senior Network Administrator for American First Credit Union, supporting a complex infrastructure of branch, shared branch and remote ATM locations across the nationwide CU Service Centers system. Working in the overlapping financial and technology fields, Mr. Henslin developed a keen sense of organizational structure and focused development of project milestones and program objectives. His strengths include extraordinary resourcefulness, dedication to quality, attention to timely completion and a work ethic second to none.

Mr. Henslin is both an NRA and CRPA member, a dedicated member of the Calguns Outreach leadership team, a firearms enthusiast and vocal gun rights advocate. His research and project management efforts have led to supporting documents in the fight against gun control in places like Oakland, CA and Emeryville, CA. Ben resides with his family in Fullerton, CA.

Paul Nordberg
Paul T. Nordberg is the Owner and Primary Administrator of the Calguns.net website and forum as well as a Life Member of the NRA. He has been a vocal proponent of Second Amendment Rights for 25 years, a firearms collector for 20 years and an 03 Curio and Relic FFL for 6 Years. He currently works for a private company specializing in image conversion and data archiving of vital records and real estate records for counties across the country. In addition to Firearms and Second Amendment advocacy his interests include Medieval Recreation and Martial Arts, Motorcycles, Golf and his Faith. His proudest achievement is his first and only marriage of 22 years so far.

Fred Oey
Fred Oey has worked in program development and mass communications for over 25 years, with diverse experience ranging from metro newsrooms to directing television in major-market locales such as San Francisco, New York City and Los Angeles. Mr. Oey has successfully created and managed commercials, talk shows, documentaries, sports, entertainment and other programs over his years in the industry. His extensive training in communication with audiences of different sizes and types give him a unique perspective to approach complex issues such as gun rights.

More recently, Mr. Oey has been working with new media and marketing, which he considers a different vehicle for similar communications goals. He takes pride in identifying potential markets, creating a message and generating an appropriate positive response for his clients.

Mr. Oey is a lifelong firearm enthusiast and former FFL license holder.

Brett Thomas
Mr. Thomas is the Chief Technology officer of Vindicia, an integrated payment and fraud management company. Prior to Vindicia Mr. Thomas was Executive Vice President of Technology for eMusic, joining Mr. Hoffman shortly after the company was founded. While at eMusic, Mr. Thomas led a team of sixty-five employees and oversaw the technical integration of several geographically diverse enterprises utilizing multiple platforms.

Mr. Thomas has been a professional software developer since 1989, and has management, contract and technical experience through roles at Network Associates, PGP, NCR, MCI and IBM. Mr. Thomas has particular expertise in the design and implementation of high transaction volume e-commerce systems, large-payload download infrastructures, conversion of paper documents to electronic formats, encryption and security.

Kevin Thomason
Kevin L. Thomason has a long career in the legal industry. A 1994 graduate of University of California College of the Law, he founded the first commercial legal website in 1994. Two years later his company designed the website for the largest law firm in the State of California, and later the first German law firm to be on the internet. Mr. Thomason has given over 30 invited presentations on law firm internet marketing, and has authored over 70 published articles on the topic.

In 2002, after a stint as a Marketing Manager for a top 50 law firm, he began practicing law for a small law firm based in San Francisco. In 2008 he founded one of the handful of law firms in California that practice firearms law.

Mr. Thomason is an avid shooter, motorcyclist and car enthusiast. In addition to holding the position of Secretary for the Calguns Foundation, Mr. Thomason is an active member of the National Rifle Association.

-Gene

wildhawker
05-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I've added this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=298256) to discuss with the membership any questions they have about this process or why I'm running. Please, all, stop in and say hello!

-Brandon

Kestryll
05-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Bios:
Paul Nordberg
Paul T. Nordberg is the Owner and Primary Administrator of the Calguns.net website and forum as well as a Life Member of the NRA. He has been a vocal proponent of Second Amendment Rights for 25 years, a firearms collector for 20 years and an 03 Curio and Relic FFL for 6 Years. He currently works for a private company specializing in image conversion and data archiving of vital records and real estate records for counties across the country. In addition to Firearms and Second Amendment advocacy his interests include Medieval Recreation and Martial Arts, Motorcycles, Golf and his Faith. His proudest achievement is his first and only marriage of 22 years so far.

I wanted to add one small addition to this, in addition to being a Life Member of the NRA I am also a Life Member of CRPA and most importantly a Life Member of CGN! ;)

bwiese
05-06-2010, 2:44 PM
I wanted to add one small addition to this, in addition to being a Life Member of the NRA I am also a Life Member of CRPA and most importantly a Life Member of CGN! ;)

Good man. Psst I won't tell 'em about the unitard I sent you.

jdberger
05-06-2010, 2:58 PM
Deleted due to fear of ban-hammer.....

nick
05-06-2010, 7:03 PM

Don't you get that title appear under your username when you become a Life Member of CGN? :confused:

Kestryll
05-07-2010, 9:17 AM
Don't you get that title appear under your username when you become a Life Member of CGN? :confused:

The Admin title, or in my case, Head Janitor, over-rides other titles in vBulletin.
I could edit it of course but I'm fine with Head Janitor.
It's more descriptive anyway! ;)

nick
05-07-2010, 9:33 AM
The Admin title, or in my case, Head Janitor, over-rides other titles in vBulletin.
I could edit it of course but I'm fine with Head Janitor.
It's more descriptive anyway! ;)

The implication to my posts is unnerving... :)

haveyourmile
05-12-2010, 1:48 PM
We can vote for one (or some) of these people and not all though, correct? There are two people on that list I absolutely will not vote for but the rest have my vote

wildhawker
05-12-2010, 2:13 PM
All 6 petitions can be signed; you are only prohibited from signing a petition for the same person more than once.

Window_Seat
05-17-2010, 2:28 AM
I'm now a 5 year CRPA member (soon to be life, but after I become a life contributor here).

Erik.

Window_Seat
05-17-2010, 11:58 AM
I just talked with someone right now at that number, and he said "8-10 business days to get payment processed, and membership card in the mail". I would keep calling. I wouldn't expect anything back until the 20th. I won't expect anything back for me until the 31st. You could always log into the CRPA site as well to check on your status.

When I upgraded to NRA Life, I think I waited almost a month for everything to be finalized.

Erik.

AndrewMendez
05-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Any updates?

wildhawker
05-22-2010, 10:51 PM
We need your help, Calgunners. If you are not a CRPA member, sign up today and help us make gun rights a lasting reality by voting for members of your community. We need signed petitions, and with your help we can create a much more effective CRPA.

wildhawker
05-24-2010, 7:05 PM
Any updates?

Update 5/24/10: We need everyone to help us make this happen. Petitions are coming in but not enough to ensure a victory.

Please all, if you are a CRPA member, download, print and email/fax/mail these petitions ASAP. If you are NOT a CRPA member, invest $22 for gun rights and join today (http://www.crpa.org/dept.aspx?dept_id=01) - call their office to get your membership number for these forms. (Annual through life members can vote).

-Brandon

Form Instructions

Note: This Adobe PDF file is a “fillable” form; it can either be printed on paper and filled in by hand or typed directly into the form in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader. All fields you type into the first page will automatically be copied to the other 5 petition pages.

1. Fill in the “Name of Circulator” on each of the 6 petitions.

2. Unless you collect more than 13 CRPA members’ signatures on each page, each page of the form should read “Page 1 of 1” in the top right corner (the form can have only one signature - there need not be more than one to be a valid petition).

3. The “Date Signed” will be the date the CRPA member on that line signs the petition.

4. Print the name of the CRPA member signing the petition under “Printed Name”, and then the same person should sign on the same line in the “Signature” column. Note: Even if you are the “Circulator” at the top, you’ll still need to completely fill out one of the lines for signers.

5. The signer should type or print their current residence address in the “Residence Address” column next to their printed name.

6. The signer should print their CRPA Membership Number to the right of their address in the “CRPA Mem. #” column. If you/they don’t have the CRPA Membership number, call (714) 992-2772 and ask the office to look it up for you.

7. The signer should print their date of birth for verification purposes in the “Date of Birth” column at the far right.

8. The “Circulator” of the petitions must sign at the bottom of each petition in the “Sworn To” line.

9. Scan and email, fax or mail/overnight the signed and completed petitions (and direct any questions) to:

Gene Hoffman
3200 Bridge Parkway Suite 202C
Redwood City, CA 94065

hoffmang@hoffmang.com
(650) 264-4701 FAX

otteray
05-24-2010, 8:43 PM
Piece of cake- done!

If there is anyone in the Santa Cruz area that can't download or has difficulty with the process; if you would like to sign my downloaded petition forms, please let me know and we can set up a rendezvous point and time.
Get 'er done!
Ray

Big E
05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
FYI - I only signed up with CRPA last week. Just saw the petitions today so I called to get my membership number. While my credit card is still being processed, meaning I'm not official yet (not unusual for small non-profits), I was able to find out my pending membership number. Now it's on to the petitions.

freonr22
05-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Yup, I signed up Sunday, Called this morning and they gave me my number, Faxed Petitions to Gene

Lyte-
05-25-2010, 12:19 PM
signed up and faxed my forms in this morning.

wildhawker
05-25-2010, 1:10 PM
signed up and faxed my forms in this morning.

Thank you for the support! If we can each reach out to just 1 current member or make 1 new member, we can put a voice on the ballot this summer and make our presence felt in Sacramento.

383green
05-25-2010, 2:10 PM
I renewed my (expired) membership this morning, and I'll sign the petitions once I get my membership ID number.

Lyte-
05-25-2010, 2:33 PM
Call them other wise they will not give you the info in time.

Window_Seat
05-25-2010, 3:19 PM
Signed, sealed & sent (by FedEx)!

Erik.

m1match
05-25-2010, 7:39 PM
Petition signed, scanned and emailed to you. Good luck Gene.

jnojr
05-25-2010, 8:12 PM
Tag

Mr Wizard
05-25-2010, 9:20 PM
Just signed up tonight. Will call for membership number tomorrow.
Jeff

Ed_in_Sac
05-26-2010, 5:35 AM
Any chance you could post each petition separately? Newer Macs handle pdf's natively, without Adobe, but can not open a bundle of pdf's (apparently). If not will have to dust off the old laptop...wherever it is!

wildhawker
05-26-2010, 6:21 AM
Try this PDF file: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BzuDXQ308KnoZDMyMTdkMjMtZmJkZS00NDViL WE0MjItOTg2NTY2YzExODli&hl=en

hoffmang
05-26-2010, 5:04 PM
Any chance you could post each petition separately? Newer Macs handle pdf's natively, without Adobe, but can not open a bundle of pdf's (apparently). If not will have to dust off the old laptop...wherever it is!

The individual petitions are available in this directory: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/crpa-board/

-Gene

GJC
05-26-2010, 6:28 PM
Just printed out and will be faxed in the morning :)

RomanDad
05-26-2010, 10:03 PM
I signed up yesterday.... Called and they told me they should have my number by tomorrow... ;)

elenius
05-27-2010, 9:20 AM
Emailed my petitions to Gene this morning :)

mattmcg
05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Signed up for the CRPA two days ago and got my member # today. Six signed petitions have been emailed to Gene.

Let's get Calgunners running this important cog in the machine of CA to win our freedoms back!

obeygiant
05-27-2010, 5:45 PM
Just printed out and will be faxed in the morning :)
I signed up yesterday.... Called and they told me they should have my number by tomorrow... ;)
Emailed my petitions to Gene this morning :)
Signed up for the CRPA two days ago and got my member # today. Six signed petitions have been emailed to Gene.

Let's get Calgunners running this important cog in the machine of CA to win our freedoms back!

Thank you to everyone that has signed the petitions for your show of support.

ElkHunterSL
05-27-2010, 7:23 PM
Mine emailed to Gene this morning.

Regulus
05-27-2010, 8:47 PM
Just emailed to Gene.

advocatusdiaboli
05-28-2010, 11:47 AM
FYI everyone, if you join do it ASAP to be able to get your member number in time. I joined at noon and they won't have my member number until Tuesday afternoon and Gene wants this all in by the 4th. So don't dawdle and wait until the last day or two

Veggie
05-28-2010, 1:13 PM
I signed up last night. Called to get my member # but the lady said I have to wait until it's is processed. Up to a week she said. Hopefully get it before the fourth.

DVSmith
05-28-2010, 5:16 PM
Thank you to everyone that has signed the petitions for your show of support.

Can we get some feedback on how close, or far away we are?

wildhawker
05-28-2010, 5:28 PM
Can we get some feedback on how close, or far away we are?

We should look to average (no less than) 7/day+ until Gene compiles and submits. A strong finish will be important.

Not only will our overall support base be crucial for these ballot petitions, but also for the actual BoD election this summer - some races are going to be close and we need to really *PUSH* to make this happen.

hoffmang
05-28-2010, 7:19 PM
We're at 2/3rd's of the magic number but we need to go over by 10% or 20% to be safe as I see some errors and some undervotes. I'll list initials of anyone who needs to contact me for errors on Tuesday.

The most common error I'm seeing is that people aren't filling themselves out as Circulator and then signing as Circulator also.

If you're just filling out the petition for yourself you actually need to sign three times.

-Gene

speeedracerr
05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Just sent my petition via mail... should received it before June 4th

AEC1
05-29-2010, 6:52 AM
I hate to say this as I am very appreciative of all the CALGUNS work, the tension is good. I fear that some on the CALGUNS board have ulterior motives other then 2A. I want the NRA, CPRA, and CALGUNS all fighting the same battle with different strategies.

obeygiant
05-29-2010, 8:15 AM
I hate to say this as I am very appreciative of all the CALGUNS work, the tension is good. I fear that some on the CALGUNS board have ulterior motives other then 2A. I want the NRA, CPRA, and CALGUNS all fighting the same battle with different strategies.

Would you care to back up these baseless accusations?

hoffmang
05-29-2010, 8:17 AM
If by ulterior motives you mean a more expansive right to arms supported by both parties, then count me as having ulterior motives (even though I am not at all a Dem.)

Back to the petitions. I received another petition set this morning via fax that can't be used. Jim S didn't add his name to Circulator and sign the bottom as well as the petition itself.

-Gene

freonr22
05-29-2010, 8:45 AM

If by this statement, you mean a stronger arm, access to more gunowners, and a group of people that are LEADING the way to preserve the Constitutional rights of my children? I am all for it then. I have never met any of the members, Except Brandon for 2 minutes 1x. But GO TEAM!!

obeygiant
05-29-2010, 9:13 AM
If by ulterior motives you mean a more expansive right to arms supported by both parties, then count me as having ulterior motives (even though I am not at all a Dem.)

Back to the petitions. I received another petition set this morning via fax that can't be used. Jim S didn't add his name to Circulator and sign the bottom as well as the petition itself.

-Gene

Gene, Can you post a list (if they noted their cgn username) or pm me the list of petitions that are missing signatures?

OliveCookieMonsta
05-29-2010, 10:42 AM
I signed up a few weeks ago for membership, however the receipt you get in the mailbox Does anyone know if the order number is the same as your member number? I called today but the office is closed, might have to wait til Monday.

freonr22
05-29-2010, 10:43 AM
the order number is not your membership #. you will have to call tuesday

DVSmith
05-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Hope you don't mind, but I cross posted this over on CalCCW.com

DVSmith
05-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I signed up a few weeks ago for membership, however the receipt you get in the mailbox Does anyone know if the order number is the same as your member number? I called today but the office is closed, might have to wait til Monday.

Monday is a holiday, I suspect you will have to wait until Tuesday but give it a try just in case!

FirstFlight
OK....so I got off my butt, downloaded and filled out the petitions, printed and signed them, and put them in the mail (at the Post Office) to Gene this morning. With Monday being a holiday they should arrive at Gene's in Tuesday's mail.

wildhawker
Can someone grab from 5:05 to 5:40 and post it here as a youtube clip please?

here:http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/view_subpage.php?pk_id=0000003933

goober
05-29-2010, 12:10 PM
signed petitions re-sent to Gene via email after learning my earlier FAX was not received.

AEC1
05-29-2010, 12:11 PM
I got a PM regarding my statement, and I replied and have paste dit here. I will not make a baseless accusation, I simply did not have a lot of time to type a long response earlier.

No worries on asking me what I ment. Totaly a good question. When McDonald was being argued alot of the CALGUNS staff were up in arms and pissed at NRA for pushing the due process aspect in addition to Gura's P or I angle. The reason for that is if we get P or I then it opens the door for suits regarding gay marriage and a whole slew of other intrests.

That is fine if they want to do that but to be angry that two choices were presented as a way to the only issue I am concerned about really got my goat. I would rather have the SCOTUS have two options to give me my 2A rights then have a very narrow window to go through that may or may not work. It is good to give the judges a choice, if they go Por I great for me, great for the GLBT comunity, however if that got turned down I would have been livid.

In Christ
Rich

wildhawker
05-29-2010, 12:35 PM
While this is probably not the best place to address this issue, I think there is a lot of confusion surrounding PorI and what it could/would do. To limit its effect to GLBT issues is a real disservice and indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of the theory and its history. How about the right to contract? Earn a living?

If you didn't have a chance to read his briefs, Gura addressed SDP incorporation far better than NRA did (why didn't NRA cite Nordyke, the only case to have actually incorporate 2A via 14A SDP?). He *also* suggested that PorI, especially, should be the theory of incorporation used by the Court based on extensive historical analysis of the origins of the 14A, the text itself and subsequent precedent. (But he made an more-than-adequate - I would argue brilliant - argument for *both*; "if not a (PorI), then b (SDP), but you must do x (incorporate)".).

Gura will win in McDonald - period. That the NRA's heir apparent Chris Cox made a reaching call to bring in the SG who argued against us in Heller to take credit for any SDP votes shouldn't be surprising. When you are so incompetent at your actual job that you have to shore it up with Wizard of Oz litigation, maybe you should consider another career path.

ETA: Here's what I mean:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/wildhawker/NRANordyke.jpg

Why didn't Chris ask the lawyer who actually *won* 2A incorporation via SDP at CA9 for an assist at SCOTUS?

I got a PM regarding my statement, and I replied and have paste dit here. I will not make a baseless accusation, I simply did not have a lot of time to type a long response earlier.

No worries on asking me what I ment. Totaly a good question. When McDonald was being argued alot of the CALGUNS staff were up in arms and pissed at NRA for pushing the due process aspect in addition to Gura's P or I angle. The reason for that is if we get P or I then it opens the door for suits regarding gay marriage and a whole slew of other intrests.

That is fine if they want to do that but to be angry that two choices were presented as a way to the only issue I am concerned about really got my goat. I would rather have the SCOTUS have two options to give me my 2A rights then have a very narrow window to go through that may or may not work. It is good to give the judges a choice, if they go Por I great for me, great for the GLBT comunity, however if that got turned down I would have been livid.

In Christ
Rich

hoffmang
05-29-2010, 12:38 PM
A P or I incorporated 2A has the added benefit of getting far more judges and lawyers further down the spectrum from those who support gun rights to support gun rights.

Realize that you're disagreeing in principle with the one litigator who will be 2-0 on guns in the Supreme Court. I'll take his judgment based on his track record, personally. Also note that without the strong P or I argument we wouldn't have gotten editorial support for the incorporation of the Second Amendment from the WaPo, NYT, and LATimes. That's unprecedented and important.

-Gene

AEC1
05-29-2010, 1:18 PM
Gentelman, I respect your opinions and all the hard work that you have put in. I will continue to support you here and at CGF, however I want the NRA and CGF to remain seperated and attacking on multiple fronts. As a military man I see the value iin forcing a common adversary to fight on multiple fronts. Just my opinion.

wildhawker
05-29-2010, 1:34 PM
Gentelman, I respect your opinions and all the hard work that you have put in. I will continue to support you here and at CGF, however I want the NRA and CGF to remain seperated and attacking on multiple fronts. As a military man I see the value iin forcing a common adversary to fight on multiple fronts. Just my opinion.

Effectively attacking on multiple fronts - that's exactly what the petitions are about. CRPA is a member and legislative-oriented organization, and possibly a political one in the future. In order to reach its potential, we all need to get behind it. I think that a small amount confusion may be driving your perception of the goals here. If you would be willing, PM me and I'll give you my number to call me and discuss your concerns directly.

The CRPA and CGF are and will remain separate organizations with distinctly different focuses, working cooperatively to achieve the greatest possible results in advancing our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Gray Peterson
05-29-2010, 1:37 PM

This is about putting people on the Board of Directors of CRPA, they function differently than CGF because they have their own executive staff (Tom Pederson, among others), whereas CGF runs as a part of the board being executive staff (Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer).

Getting these folks on the CRPA Board of Directors will prevent a repeat of the situation with Gerry Upholdt and Kathy Lynch, where they sold out our gun rights interests for other interests in horse trading between lobbying clients. Tom Pederson runs his lobbying operations well with the NRA-California lobbyist, Ed Worley, and work pretty well together as a team. Gene is already on the CRPA Board, and no one here is talking about some sort of merger between CGN or CGF with CRPA. They will have different lobbying and foundational organizations still, even if all of them win.

hoffmang
05-29-2010, 3:25 PM

CGF will not be the NRA and vice versa - you have nothing to worry about there. However, CGF can't and will not support or oppose candidates and has to be limited in its legislative lobbying.

CRPA doesn't have those latter restrictions.

-Gene

Flyin Brian
05-29-2010, 9:03 PM
Can we just write "new member" on the petition, since they're gonna look it up anyhow?

bplvr
05-29-2010, 10:11 PM
OK kids ....so we have TWO CGN Gun shows and RAAHAUGES {sp} next weekend . What prohibits us from walking the entrance line and asking current CRPA members to sign our nominating petitions or to collect signatures at our booths with a colored pen ? That is 12 signatures /page {ea.} at 3 events . I'll be at Costa Mesa early and I have my petitions in hand.
On Sunday night just scan them and send them to Gene.

goober
05-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Can we just write "new member" on the petition, since they're gonna look it up anyhow?

best practice would be to list a member number. we need there to be no reason to contest any individual signature.

OK kids ....so we have TWO CGN Gun shows and RAAHAUGES {sp} next weekend . What prohibits us from walking the entrance line and asking current CRPA members to sign our nominating petitions? That is 12 signatures /page {ea.} at 3 events . I'll be at Costa Mesa early and I have my petitions in hand.

by all means... do this. as long as folks are legit CRPA members their sigs on any nomination petition count :)

FastFinger
05-29-2010, 10:31 PM
OK kids ....so we have TWO CGN Gun shows and RAAHAUGES {sp} next weekend . What prohibits us from walking the entrance line and asking current CRPA members to sign our nominating petitions or to collect signatures at our booths with a colored pen ? That is 12 signatures /page {ea.} at 3 events . I'll be at Costa Mesa early and I have my petitions in hand.

Fantastic idea! I don't know the set-up there, but will our table volunteers be able to handle the petitions and man the booth?

I had someone sign a petition, but they didn't know their CRPA member number, he's going to try get it Tuesday, if he doesn't I'll try call in and obtain it. If there's no problem with doing that, maybe whoever collects the petitions at the even can call the CRPA office on the following Monday and get all the numbers of the signers who didn't have that info with them? Might be safer than leaving them blank and hoping someone at CRPA will take the initiative on their own later.

bplvr
05-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Fantastic idea! I don't know the set-up there, but will our table volunteers be able to handle the petitions and man the booth?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
We have EXCELLENT volunteers. I will get in contact with the C3 booth people on Tuesday and ask that they 'assign' one or more volunteers to man the sign in sheets and explain how to do it.. It is THE most important thing at the two gun show booths next weekend., {except for Sunday being D-Day.}
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had someone sign a petition, but they didn't know their CRPA member number, he's going to try get it Tuesday, if he doesn't I'll try call in and obtain it. If there's no problem with doing that, maybe whoever collects the petitions at the even can call the CRPA office on the following Monday and get all the numbers of the signers who didn't have that info with them? Might be safer than leaving them blank and hoping someone at CRPA will take the initiative on their own later.

{see reply above in the middle}

goober
05-29-2010, 10:57 PM
i concur that follow-up w/ petition-signers to obtain their CRPA member numbers is MUCH preferable to leaving it up to someone down the line to figure out.
as has been said a multitude of times,
"don"t leave it in the hands of the judges"...

obeygiant
05-30-2010, 10:04 AM

In Christ
Rich

When I originally read your post, I understood it to be something completely other than what you have described here. Without delving into the merits of each individual argument I would like to thank you for taking the time to clarify your original post.

What we have here is a unique opportunity to infuse the CRPA with some new blood which they are desperately in need of. A transfusion of blood that will enable the CRPA to be the bulwark of defense for the 2A in California. The slate of candidates that you see before you have a proven track record of getting things done for the RKBA in California and you can expect nothing less if you choose to show your support.

vhram
05-30-2010, 2:40 PM
I filled mine out and will send off on tuesday , My wife is a associate member and son is a junior member , can they both sign the petition?

obeygiant
05-30-2010, 7:40 PM
I filled mine out and will send off on tuesday , My wife is a associate member and son is a junior member , can they both sign the petition?

Thank you for your support. You are good to go, unfortunately though the associate and junior memberships are unable to vote per the CRPA bylaws below:
2.1.5.2 An associate member is entitled to all benefits of the Association except the right to vote,hold the position of Director, or receive the monthly newspaper

2.1.6 Junior Membership is open to any person twenty years of age or under. Such status shall continue through the end of the calendar year in which the Junior member's 20th birthday occurs and will be entitled to all rights of the Association except the right to vote and hold the position of Director.

chiselchst
05-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Just emailed my 6 petitions in to Gene via .pdf files. Will verfify they fit in the pipe, if not will break up until confirmed sent....FWIW.

Thanks Calguns for everything!

Mitch

Firearms Multimedia Guide
05-31-2010, 4:37 PM
Faxed yesterday!

berto
06-01-2010, 9:51 AM
Emailed to Gene.

8bitnintendo
06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Just emailed, sorry about the file size :)

7x57
06-01-2010, 10:45 AM

Do we know if this is going to happen at Raahauge's for sure? My printer seems to have died, and I doubt I'll persuade it to print the forms so I can sign them. I am trying to convince the wife to go to Raahauge's anyway, so if there will be a petition there that might be the easiest solution.

7x57

pennys dad
06-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Raahauges is an absolute and we will be prepared for signatures

spgripside
06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Petitions faxed to Gene today. Please let me know if they went through, or if they need any fixes. I like the direction CRPA seems to be going, and hope the necessary petitions are signed.

Sean

7x57
06-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Raahauges is an absolute and we will be prepared for signatures

OK. If I can make that trip, I'll plan to sign there. CRPA should have my # by then.

7x57

gtturborex
06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
I signed up for this yesterday and they have my membership number already downloaded. Petitions are in the mail today!!

jeferd
06-02-2010, 8:09 AM
I just signed up and printed petitions...will eamil later today with new member #

beerup949
06-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I just emailed mine to Gene.

Mute
06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Gene, joined and signed all six. Faxed. Please let me know if you don't receive them.

Alex Tham

Paladin
06-02-2010, 12:57 PM
I just faxed my 6 petitions.

If you're just filling out the petition for yourself you actually need to sign three times.

-GeneThree times? I only saw two places to sign: (1) the signature field for all signers; and (2) the signature line for the circulator toward the bottom.

I also saw two places to print your name: (1) the name of circulator toward the top; and (2) the printed name field for all signers.

Where's the 3rd place you have to sign?

Purple K
06-02-2010, 1:12 PM
I just downloaded & printed them. Will fax from work this afternoon.

wildhawker
06-02-2010, 1:32 PM

Three times? I only saw two places to sign: (1) the signature field for all signers; and (2) the signature line for the circulator toward the bottom.

I also saw two places to print your name: (1) the name of circulator toward the top; and (2) the printed name field for all signers.

2 places to sign, 2 places to print (1 as circulator, 1 as signer).

FirstFlight
06-02-2010, 1:36 PM

Three times? I only saw two places to sign: (1) the signature field for all signers; and (2) the signature line for the circulator toward the bottom.

Likewise, I only found two places to print my name and two places to sign my name.

otteray
06-02-2010, 4:27 PM
Likewise, I only found two places to print my name and two places to sign my name.

I think you can write or print Name of Circulator (at the top of the petition) as long as it is legible.:thumbsup:

hoffmang
06-02-2010, 7:04 PM
2 places to sign, 2 places to print (1 as circulator, 1 as signer).

What everyone above said. Sorry to not be more precise.

-Gene

383green
06-02-2010, 7:15 PM
I still haven't gotten my membership number, though I've received an email that my membership order was processed. I hope that I'll be able to discover my number in time to add my stack of petitions to the, uh, stack.

FastFinger
06-02-2010, 9:03 PM
I still haven't gotten my membership number, though I've received an email that my membership order was processed. I hope that I'll be able to discover my number in time to add my stack of petitions to the, uh, stack.

Just give the office a call tomorrow: 714-992-CRPA (2772). They should be able to give you your membership number.

And thank you for the support!

383green
06-02-2010, 9:05 PM
Just give the office a call tomorrow: 714-992-CRPA (2772). They should be able to give you your membership number.

Will do. When I called before I got voicemail, and I opted to send them an email via their web site instead of leaving a message. Are there normally live humans at that number if I don't happen to call at the wrong time?

wildhawker
06-02-2010, 9:14 PM
Yep, and in my experience phone generally gets a faster response than email. Thanks very much for your support!

Dr Rockso
06-03-2010, 2:10 PM
Just sent petitions to Gene via email.

AndrewMendez
06-03-2010, 2:47 PM
I just called for my number, and the voice mail advised they are already closed. (I called at 3:30) I will call tomorrow am, and get them faxed to you Gene. Thanks!

wildhawker
06-03-2010, 2:54 PM
I just called for my number, and the voice mail advised they are already closed. (I called at 3:30) I will call tomorrow am, and get them faxed to you Gene. Thanks!

It could be that the staff are at a reduced schedule; 10-2 should be a safe bet.

383green
06-03-2010, 3:00 PM
Try calling again. I also got the after-hours message a short while ago, but then got a live human when I tried again a few minutes later.

I got my membership number, and my stack of signed petitions is dribbling out of my email outbox at this moment. :thumbsup:

AndrewMendez
06-03-2010, 3:03 PM
Try calling again. I also got the after-hours message a short while ago, but then got a live human when I tried again a few minutes later.

I got my membership number, and my stack of signed petitions is dribbling out of my email outbox at this moment. :thumbsup:

It could be that the staff are at a reduced schedule; 10-2 should be a safe bet.

Wow, it worked!!! Awesome! Alright Gene, you should have it to you within the hour.

AndrewMendez
06-03-2010, 5:50 PM
Done and done. What numbers are we looking at?

Liberty1
06-03-2010, 5:58 PM
faxed my petitions to Gene today

obeygiant
06-03-2010, 6:13 PM
Just sent petitions to Gene via email.
Done and done. What numbers are we looking at?
faxed my petitions to Gene today

Thank you!

Mssr. Eleganté
06-03-2010, 9:02 PM
I finally found my CRPA life membership card. Is the membership number the six digit number preceded by the letter L ?

hoffmang
06-03-2010, 9:51 PM
We are considerably over 100.

-Gene

mcubed4130
06-03-2010, 10:06 PM

-Gene

and now you are "considerably over 100." - plus 1 more - fax'd mine in.

-M3

obeygiant
06-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I finally found my CRPA life membership card. Is the membership number the six digit number preceded by the letter L ?

Yes, that should be the one.

obeygiant
06-03-2010, 10:10 PM

-Gene

how far are we from 200?

AndrewMendez
06-03-2010, 11:20 PM

-Gene

:party:
That is awesome! Talk about sending a message!!

Malthusian
06-04-2010, 8:40 AM
Just emailed mine over to you!

REDHORSE
06-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I faxed my 6 page petition with three signatures on each this morning (7AM) to Gene.

2009_gunner
06-04-2010, 2:52 PM
Emailed the 6 pages to Gene 5 minutes ago.

RRangel
06-04-2010, 7:04 PM
how far are we from 200?

Am I correct in assuming that people should not stop sending them in after today? Maybe the numbers will reach 200 next week if it's not there already.

hoffmang
06-04-2010, 8:40 PM
how far are we from 200?
About 30 away give or take a couple...
Am I correct in assuming that people should not stop sending them in after today? Maybe the numbers will reach 200 next week if it's not there already.

Keep 'em coming. The last day they would be of any value would be if I receive them by next Friday the 11th.

-Gene

spgripside
06-04-2010, 8:50 PM
Nicely done, the candidates will be on the ballot, when will the elections occur?

ETA: Found the answer at crpa.org (http://www.crpa.org)

Although the CRPA Board election won't take place until August, with ballots sent out as part of the August issue of The Firing Line, we wanted to give our members advance notification of the CRPA election process.

The following information is based on portions of the CRPA bylaws that have been paraphrased here for your information and understanding of this process.

Activity committee members are elected by you the membership. Each committee consists of up to six members, provided not more than four are from within one of the state's two geographical areas (North and South as defined below). The Activity Committees are Pistol Shooting, High Power Rifle Shooting, Smallbore Rifle Shooting, Silhouette Shooting, Air Gun Shooting, Hunting and Wildlife Conservation (Non-Shooting), Arms Collectors (Non-Shooting), Programs and Coalitions Development (Non-Shooting).

Nominations of candidates for election to the CRPA Activity Committees are submitted to the Nominating Committee no later than June 15 each year. Any eligible CRPA member may submit his or her own name to the Nominating Committee for consideration. June 15 falls on a Tuesday this year, so I would ask that we try to have all nominations received in headquarters by Friday, June 11, if possible.

For the purpose of nominations for election to Activity Committees, the state has been divided into two geographical areas. The Northern area is designated as that portion of the state north of a horizontal line drawn from border to border using the northern boundaries of San Luis Obispo, Kern, and San Bernardino counties. The Southern area is designated as that portion of the state south of that same horizontal line described above.

Nominees are selected from their geographical area as determined by residence address. Elected Activity Committeepersons are elected by regular and lifetime members. Terms range from one to three years and are staggered, so each year there is a unique set of committee openings based on both year and north/south geography.

As nominations are received, they will initially be sent to each Activity Committee Chair and the Nominating Committee for review. After the June 15, 2010 deadline for receipt of nominations, the Nominating Committee (which consists of seven board members elected by the CRPA Board at the February board meeting) will meet via conference call to complete their review, and select qualified candidates for the ballot using input from the Activity Committee Chairs. The Nominating Committee will then have approximately until the first week in July (deadline to close the August issue of TFL for printing) to review and approve the ballot. As mentioned earlier, we'll use the August issue of The Firing Line for the ballot distribution process.

For this year's elections, your ballots must be received at headquarters no later than Friday, August 27 at 4:30 PM.

The President shall appoint an Election Committee consisting of not less than five CRPA members who shall count votes and certify the results of the election to the board of directors.

Activity Committees include both Shooting and Non-Shooting Committees and the duties common to each Activity Committee include the following:

· Identify, recommend, implement, and promote CRPA's activities.

· Submit to the Nominating Committee a list of recommended candidates for election to that activity committee.

· Encourage and promote membership in the CRPA and participation in all CRPA activities and in the shooting sports generally, and in particular by juniors, women, and other identifiable groups with potential interest.

· Publicize committee activities in The Firing Line and on www.crpa.org.

Duties of each Shooting Activity Committee include the following:

· Administer and conduct state championship matches, and other sanctioned activities in accordance with the CRPA's Standard Operating Procedures for Conducting State Championships.

· Establish and administer CRPA policy concerning the conduct of junior state championships for all shooting activities.

Qualifications of each new Shooting Activity Committee Member include:

· NRA classification in the discipline(s) administered by the activity committee. For disciplines for which classification records are not maintained by the NRA, verifiable classification by the primary national sanctioning organization for said discipline may be substituted.

· Demonstrable competitive shooting expertise in the discipline administered by the activity committee.

· Demonstrable experience in activity promotion of the discipline administered by the activity committee.

· Ability to contribute to the CRPA's growth and expansion of the disciplines administered by the activity committee.

Duties unique to each Non-Shooting Activity Committees include the following:

· Duties unique to the Hunting and Wildlife Conservation Activity include the development of programs relating to the use and management of our wildlife resources for the sport of hunting in its broadest sense, including the right of hunters to own, possess, and use firearms in the lawful pursuit of the sport of hunting, with the objective of encouraging hunters and others to affiliate with the CRPA.

· Duties unique to the Arms Collectors Activity include the development of policies and programs for encouraging participation of firearms collectors, individuals and organizations, in CRPA membership and activities, for encouraging CRPA members to engage in the hobby of firearms collecting, and to conduct exhibitions of firearms collections in furtherance of these objectives.

· Duties unique to the Programs and Coalitions Development Committee include the following: Identify and promote available programs that promote and support the goals of the CRPA. Establish strategic alliances with other groups and individuals that share and support the goals of the CRPA.

General qualifications of each Non-Shooting Activity Committee Member include:

· Demonstrable subject matter expertise in the committee's area of focus.

· Demonstrable ability to contribute to the CRPA's growth and expansion of the programs administered by the activity committee.

Activity-specific qualifications of each new Non-Shooting Activity Committee member include:

· For members of the Hunting and Wildlife Conservation Activity Committee: demonstrable hunting and/or wildlife conservation experience and prior activity in groups or organizations promoting such.

· For members of the Arms Collectors Activity Committee: demonstrable arms collecting and exhibition experience and prior experience in groups or organizations promoting such.

· For members of the Programs and Coalitions Committee Activity Committee: Demonstrable experience in promoting programs that promote and support the goals of the CRPA. Demonstrable experience in coalition building and facilitation, preferably with and between organizations that support and promote the goals and objectives of the CRPA.

The Program and Coalitions Committee Activity Committee is also the only CRPA Committee that provides an additional opportunity to be named on the ballot. The petition process allows a candidate to be added to the ballot for this particular committee as an alternative method to self nomination and nominating committee selection.

For more election information, call CRPA headquarters at (714) 992-2772.

Sean

hoffmang
06-08-2010, 7:26 PM
FYI - We are 4 petitions short of 200. Is there anyone else who'd like to put us over 200?

-Gene

goober
06-08-2010, 7:28 PM
FYI - We are 4 petitions short of 200. Is there anyone else who'd like to put us over 200?

-Gene

it will happen. be assured of this. :D

SkatinJJ
06-08-2010, 7:53 PM
Gene,
I'll get on the phone with CRPA tomorrow morning, get my number and get the petitions over to you.

JJ

97F1504RAD
06-08-2010, 8:13 PM
Gene I mailed mine to you last weeek hoping they arrived.

I was the one who made a boo boo on the page numbering. :kest:

AndrewMendez
06-14-2010, 6:22 PM
So tomorrow is the day!! How are we looking?

hoffmang
06-14-2010, 8:48 PM
So tomorrow is the day!! How are we looking?

200 or 201 depending on whether one member number that's suspicious actually is not.

-Gene

steadyrock
06-14-2010, 8:58 PM
200 or 201 depending on whether one member number that's suspicious actually is not.

-Gene

If that member number happens to be on petitions which were faxed to you around lunchtime today, PM me. :cool:

obeygiant
06-14-2010, 9:43 PM

-Gene

Thank you for the update. Anyone else want to get their petitions in, now is the time to do it. Thank you to everyone that has already submitted theirs, this should be an exciting year.

hoffmang
06-14-2010, 10:23 PM
If that member number happens to be on petitions which were faxed to you around lunchtime today, PM me. :cool:

Nope. The error I'm alluding two is on a multiple signature form I received very early on.

-Gene

AndrewMendez
06-15-2010, 12:16 AM

-Gene

200 is an awesome number. What a voice we have here!

freonr22
06-15-2010, 8:16 AM
how many sigs, did other than these 6 people get.. ie what is typical? maybe could be posted later?

hoffmang
06-15-2010, 8:43 PM
how many sigs, did other than these 6 people get.. ie what is typical? maybe could be posted later?

Other board members are nominated or self nominate for the other committees.

-Gene

spgripside
06-15-2010, 9:05 PM
From crpa.org (http://www.crpa.org)

The Program and Coalitions Committee Activity Committee is also the only CRPA Committee that provides an additional opportunity to be named on the ballot. The petition process allows a candidate to be added to the ballot for this particular committee as an alternative method to self nomination and nominating committee selection.

Way to go on hitting 200.