PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE-Oklahoma open carry bill-Steve Jones

big red
05-04-2010, 8:42 PM
Oklahoma legislature passes Open Carry bill
May 4, 8:49 PMFort Smith Gun Rights ExaminerSteve D. Jones

Get alerts when there is a new article from the Fort Smith Gun Rights Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use. Email Address

ShareThis

WWW.ok.gov

The Oklahoma House of Representatives on Tuesday passed HB 3354, the Open Carry bill, by a vote of 74-24. The bill will now head to Governor Brad Henry’s desk for signing.

Governor Henry, a Democrat, has not said whether he will sign the bill or not, and he may veto it. The governor has been bucking the desires of the whole state of Oklahoma lately; two weeks ago he vetoed two other conservative bills, both dealing with abortion.

Oklahoma requires 76 votes of the 101-member House to over-ride a veto; 2 of the 3 representatives who did not vote will be needed to help push the bill past the governor if he decides to use his veto power.

Representative Duncan, the author of the bill, gave some of his reasons Tuesday for the Open Carry bill:

A criminal is far less likely to attack once he sees a citizen is armed," said Duncan, a former prosecutor. "A criminal is far less likely to attack once he sees a citizen is armed.

Representative Pam Peterson from Tulsa gives her reasons for voting against Open Carry:

Businesses that are privately owned will not want people coming in with guns on their hips.

Peterson is also concerned businesses who do not want people carrying a firearm in the open will ban all handguns, thus not allowing concealed weapons on the premises, either.

Business owners will be able to see the firearms when the customer enters the business, however. At that time, the owner may tell the customer to leave if they do not wish the gun owner’s business. Representative Duncan makes the point, saying the law has not changed; a business may choose to do business with whomever they want and may ban firearms from their business if they desire.

Representative Paul Roan, Democrat from Tishomingo, had to use the ever-tiring, boring, misleading “wild, wild west” phrase:

What scares me is that we're trying to promote tourism in Oklahoma. How many people are going to want to come to a state where people are walking through downtown Oklahoma City with a pearl-handled six-shooter on their hip?

bwiese
05-04-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm hearing that LCAV's presence there actually p**sed people off and drove quite a few votes to the pro side, not that it was in that much danger of losing anyway.

weezil_boi
05-04-2010, 11:12 PM
....Representative Paul Roan, Democrat from Tishomingo, had to use the ever-tiring, boring, misleading “wild, wild west” phrase:

What scares me is that we're trying to promote tourism in Oklahoma. How many people are going to want to come to a state where people are walking through downtown Oklahoma City with a pearl-handled six-shooter on their hip?

At least one :) ...

:rockon:

nick
05-04-2010, 11:33 PM

Hmm, never considered OK for a trip before... Now though... :)

CCWFacts
05-04-2010, 11:34 PM
At least one :) ...

And one more!

arkyhog
05-05-2010, 7:03 AM
Here is a link to the original story:

http://www.examiner.com/x-33857-Fort-Smith-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d4-Oklahoma-legislature-passes-Open-Carry-bill

IGOTDIRT4U
05-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Hot damn, what time does the tour bus leave!!!

JAGACIDA
05-05-2010, 3:59 PM
that's a real nice pearled handled rig you've got there mister!

Window_Seat
05-05-2010, 4:10 PM
I'm hearing that LCAV's presence there actually p**sed people off and drove quite a few votes to the pro side, not that it was in that much danger of losing anyway.

Hmmmm... The LCAV going to states like OK might not be such a bad thing. TX needs them to the same exact thing if that's what kind of an effect they're going to have. Maybe the 2 states can start working on CC, and they can give all the credit to the LCAV!:thumbsup:

Erik.

warbird
05-05-2010, 4:17 PM
I get a window seat unless there is a real cute lady in the back seat.

vrand
05-05-2010, 4:54 PM
Here is a link to the original story:

http://www.examiner.com/x-33857-Fort-Smith-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d4-Oklahoma-legislature-passes-Open-Carry-bill

:thumbsup:

orangevale
05-05-2010, 6:17 PM
Well it’s not downtown OKC, but I’m thinking a pearl-handled six-shooter on the hip would be just thing to accentuate a visit to the National Cowboy Hall of Fame.:cowboy:

http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/

And for you real gun enthusiasts you should time your visit to include Wanenmacher’s, a couple of hours up the turnpike in Tulsa. :driving:

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html

See you there!:innocent:

jm838
05-06-2010, 12:38 AM
And for you real gun enthusiasts you should time your visit to include Wanenmacher’s, a couple of hours up the turnpike in Tulsa. :driving:

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html

See you there!:innocent:

I went to that a couple weeks ago. It was amazing! It was like Disneyland with guns! At the same time though, it was a bit saddening, as I saw tons of stuff that I wanted but knew I could never bring back to CA. While everyone else felt like a kid in a candy shop, the NFA booth by Coldhand Armory made me feel like a diabetic in a candy shop :(

Really though, if you ever find yourself in Tulsa and this show is in town, you have to go. No excuses!

orangevale
05-11-2010, 1:14 PM
For Your Situational Awareness

Oklahoma HB 3354 moved to the Governor’s desk today, he has until 17 May to take action.

Why the delay?

Immediately upon the 4 May passage, the author filed a notice to reconsider the vote. This parliamentary maneuver gave exclusive control to the bill’s author. The notice expired on 10 May, leaving no time for any other house member to bring a motion to reconsider. This kept the bill from possibly being put back on the legislative carousel in hopes of extending the process past the end of the legislative session, 28 May. Essentially, the author hid the ball and waited out the clock, taking the known delay over the chance of an unknown and possibly bill killing delay.

Big E
05-11-2010, 4:18 PM
[QUOTE=How many people are going to want to come to a state where people are walking through downtown Oklahoma City with a pearl-handled six-shooter on their hip?[/QUOTE]

Ooh!, ooh!, ME!!! ME!!! ME!!!:D

orangevale
05-29-2010, 8:08 PM
HB 3354 was vetoed by the Governor on 14 May. His veto message claimed the A rating he had received from the NRA and referenced concerns of unspecified law enforcement.

A veto override was attempted in state house on 20 May but failed by one vote, 65 Ayes to 29 Nays. Eight members of the 74 who had voted aye on 4 May but changed their vote to nay for the override vote have been labeled “turncoats” and seven members that abstained for the override vote are being identified as AWOL. One AWOL member who was quoted in the local press as saying folks, who wanted to carry openly were cowards, is the target of particular vitriol.

State representatives of the NRA are on record as being neutral on the bill; I would not want to be manning the NRA table at next Nov’s Wanenmacher’s gun show. The NRA affiliated Oklahoma Rifle Association (ORA) was also neutral, confirming their status as “teats on a boar hog”. The Oklahoma State Troopers Association, the highway patrol officers’ union, came out against.

Funds are “fixin’ ta” be flowing from the NRA, ORA and various charities that support law officers, to the campaign coffers of open carry supportive politicians, especially opponents of the “turncoats and AWOL”.

BBQ guns and gear will have to wait until next year.

Flopper
05-29-2010, 9:12 PM
I really hope those turncoats reap what they've sown come the next election.

press1280
05-30-2010, 3:48 AM
I believe that the governor is termed out, so they'll have a new governor next year. So look for OK to allow OC next year sometime.

dunndeal
05-30-2010, 6:32 AM
Anyone know if it was LOC or UOC?

orangevale
05-30-2010, 7:13 AM
Press1280: You are correct; the current governor is termed out. There will be a new governor during the next legislative term.

Dunndeal: This was loaded open carry, limited to holders of concealed carry permits. Oklahoma is a shall issue state.