PDA

View Full Version : DROS problem - non-current address

Dorito
03-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi,

I went to DROS two days ago at a Big 5 (yeah, I know! My buddy runs the place, so he was willing to use the store's FFL) for an AR receiver. The problem is, I don't have my current address listed on my ID, and I have no other form of ID with a current address. He says the company policy won't allow him to DROS the receiver for me unless I have proof of current residence. Do you guys think it would be a problem if I just wrote down the address on my ID, despite the fact that I haven't lived there for a couple of years? My friend is willing to do this as a "don't ask, don't tell" sort of deal, but I just want to make sure I won't get in any trouble for doing so. Thanks!

kantstudien
03-05-2006, 11:07 PM
You were supposed to have made a "change of address" at the DMV within 10 days of moving. Yes, it is the law.

EBWhite
03-05-2006, 11:07 PM
I do not see this being a major problem for you. You are still a resident of california and this is not a handgun. Handguns are registered to person/place and for a longgun. If it was me, I would just write the address on my ID since the whole lower thing might be coming to an end....but remember you are signing a penelty of purjury statement but it wont come back and bite you.

blkA4alb
03-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Hi,

I went to DROS two days ago at a Big 5 (yeah, I know! My buddy runs the place, so he was willing to use the store's FFL) for an AR receiver. The problem is, I don't have my current address listed on my ID, and I have no other form of ID with a current address. He says the company policy won't allow him to DROS the receiver for me unless I have proof of current residence. Do you guys think it would be a problem if I just wrote down the address on my ID, despite the fact that I haven't lived there for a couple of years? My friend is willing to do this as a "don't ask, don't tell" sort of deal, but I just want to make sure I won't get in any trouble for doing so. Thanks!
ehh, i think you would be taking an unnecesary risk. im not sure what the legal consequences could be but it's not something that i would do. to my knowledge they will accept your passport as well, if you dont have one you can get one in about a week. and im sure big5 wouldnt be too happy with your friend if they found out he did this, and you dont want him getting fired do you?:)

Dorito
03-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I do not see a problem with it as you are still a resident of california and this is not a handgun. Handguns are registered to person/place and for a longgun writing your id address is fine but remember you are signing a penelty of purjury statement but it wont come back and bite you.
Are longguns just registered to person, but not place in California? I am still a resident, and I did file a change of address with the DMV, but I was never sent a new driver's license. They told me I would get a new card right before my old one expires, which isn't until 2008.

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Long guns do not require proof of residency. A handgun dros can be done to any address you specify, as long as you can prove you live there.

With Long Guns, it really doesn't matter what your driver's license says. Just tell them it's your current address. DOJ will be able to find you if if they need to, don't worry about that.

Surveyor
03-05-2006, 11:17 PM
My sister in-law had this problem last year when she bought her Sig. They told her to either show a current utility bill or a fishing license. Her house was 30 miles away so she bought a fishing license, filled it out with her current address and bought the gun. That's right folks, she couldn't just tell them her new address. She had to waste $35.00 on a license, write it down and then it was okay! 10 years of me *****ing and preaching about gun control didn't convert her, but 3 hours of absurdity did!:)

kantstudien
03-05-2006, 11:18 PM
If you have your change of address card, have the FFL make a photocopy of both your DL and the card, and then use the current address to DROS. As long as your DROS address matches what the DMV has in their records, you will be fine. You will also avoid perjuring yourself.

lucky777
03-05-2006, 11:22 PM
It should not be a problem. I never changed my address on my license. Just wrote it on the back. I did a "change of address" form and mailed it to the DMV (form is online). I DROS'ed & purchased 2 handguns, 3 lowers, and a Fab10 & Kel-tec with no problems.

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 11:29 PM
A fishing license is not acceptable proof of residency for a handgun. Long guns do not require proof of residency.

Acceptable proof includes; utility bill (PGE, trash, landline telephone, Cable TV/Telephone/Internet, Satellite TV/Internet), property deed or lease agreement, mortgage bill, or registration to a vehicle, or in the case of Military, Permanent Duty Station Orders....

Not acceptable are; cell phone bills, financial statements, payroll stubs, fishing/hunting licenses, passport, green card, etc...

Surveyor
03-05-2006, 11:33 PM
A fishing license is not acceptable proof of residency for a handgun. Long guns do not require proof of residency.

Acceptable proof includes; utility bill (PGE, trash, landline telephone), property deed or lease agreement, mortgage bill, or registration to a vehicle, or in the case of Military, Permanent Duty Station Orders....

Not acceptable are; cell phone bills, financial statements, payroll stubs, fishing/hunting licenses, passport, green card, etc...

So basicly they were willing to let it slide if she bought one of their fishing licenses?:confused:

phish
03-05-2006, 11:33 PM
what about a DirecTV bill? The dish has to get plumbed into a residence doesn't it?

Dorito
03-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Long guns do not require proof of residency. A handgun dros can be done to any address you specify, as long as you can prove you live there.

With Long Guns, it really doesn't matter what your driver's license says. Just tell them it's your current address. DOJ will be able to find you if if they need to, don't worry about that.
Great, that's what I was hoping. Thank you for your help!

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 11:43 PM
So basicly they were willing to let it slide if she bought one of their fishing licenses?:confused:

Apparently so. The document in question has to be physically MAILED to your house... a Temporary ID (white paper) from the DMV is not good enough either, even in conjunction with a valid ID or CDL.

what about a DirecTV bill? The dish has to get plumbed into a residence doesn't it?

Yes, that would be sufficient.

taloft
03-06-2006, 12:01 AM
I would have thought that since the receipt the DMV gives you has the state seal, that it would be legit as long as you had a valid picture ID. Learn something new everyday.

As long as my licence and vehicle registration are all I need then I'm good. All my bills come via ebills (paperless).

EBWhite
03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Well what about a case of you do not get mail to your house? And all your bills go to a po box and your license is in a PO box. That is my case. I show my car registration which shows both..

xenophobe
03-06-2006, 12:25 AM
At our store, a PO Box is not a valid address to purchase a firearm with. Neither is a bill with a PO Box suitable for proof of residency. Other stores may accept that. We do not.

On a 4473, it is definitely not acceptable. You need to provide the Feds with a proper physical street address.

tenpercentfirearms
03-06-2006, 6:41 AM
A fishing license is not acceptable proof of residency for a handgun.What a brilliant way to make money. I need to get some hunting licenses at my shop. Hell most gun owners are so ignorant that they think they need to register their guns or have a gun license or permit to buy.

"Oh yes sir, you need a hunting license to buy this rifle." But wait, I don't make much on hunting licenses. Hmmm, I know, you have to have a HSC with every purchase. Ten bucks a pop. Plus not only do you have to buy a CA approved gun lock, but CA approved premium rifle ammo for $30 a box and you must buy two.

Oh man, my profits are about to skyrocket! :rolleyes:

Too bad I am an honest guy.

rkt88edmo
03-06-2006, 9:31 AM
No one cares as much as the problem as when it is happening to themselves :(

My sister in-law had this problem last year when she bought her Sig. They told her to either show a current utility bill or a fishing license. Her house was 30 miles away so she bought a fishing license, filled it out with her current address and bought the gun. That's right folks, she couldn't just tell them her new address. She had to waste $35.00 on a license, write it down and then it was okay! 10 years of me *****ing and preaching about gun control didn't convert her, but 3 hours of absurdity did!:)

6172crew
03-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I like the way you guys totally brushed over the fact he will be drosing a lower through Big5.:D Thats great, you need a recepit for that one!

Mike Searson
03-06-2006, 10:31 AM
You were supposed to have made a "change of address" at the DMV within 10 days of moving. Yes, it is the law.

Every time I moved or changed residency in Kalifornia, I notified the DMV within 10 days and they never updated jack schitt!

Only time things ever got updated was when i had to go down in person for something else.

They also had my birthday wrong on my license for 4 years!

Despite showing Birth Certificate, passport, out of state license, etc.

California's DMV could **** up a cup of coffee.

snobordr
03-06-2006, 12:48 PM
I like the way you guys totally brushed over the fact he will be drosing a lower through Big5.:D Thats great, you need a recepit for that one!

I thought about using the local Big5 to do a PPT for one of the "extra" lowers I had. Would love to see the looks on their faces as I told them they legally were obligated to perform the transaction.

webster223
03-06-2006, 1:01 PM
For a long gun receiver, you don't need to show proof of residency. However, to update your address with the DMV you can fill out this form:

DMV Change of Address Form (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/dmv/dmv14.pdf)

Then drop it off at your local DMV office or mail it to the address at the top of the form.

Finally, type or write your new address on a small piece of paper with your signature and date. Keep it with your driver license or ID card.

For long guns, that's all you need to do.

Webster

swhatb
03-06-2006, 1:36 PM

long gun ok with po box address, handgun must be physical address on dros. no po box on 4473 form, has to be a physical address though. however dmv registration is accepted per doj as handgun proof of residency with po box listed as long as you put down a physical address on the 4473. this is listed on there regs. on there website. take a look. if you have a po box address on your DL as your mailing place, dmv has your physical address listed in the computer files, so your ok on the dros check. they only care that what you put on dros is what's in there records. po box shows on DL because they only print mailing address.