PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget! .50BMG RIFLE Registration Period ends 04/30/2005!

artherd
03-05-2006, 9:29 PM
I just sent mine in, now would be about as late as I'd want to go, to insure there's still some time to slap DOJ if they bungle it.

Send it, CERTIFIED MAIL with Delivery Confirmation (and retain a photocopy of both sides for your records) would probally be a good idea about now.

If you do not have a Registration Card (and yes you must use their card and cannot print a PDF. They want to actually keep the origionals and file them like a libary dewey decimal system.) you need to go to an FFL or mail the DOJ asking for one.

Don't forget to include a money order for $25 (I don't want them having my personal check details that easy ;)

jmlivingston
03-05-2006, 9:31 PM
I called their office on Thursday at noon, left a voice-mail and had the card at my house by Saturday. Money order sounds like a good idea....

John

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 9:34 PM
Artherd have you become a DOJ plant? The registration period ends 4/30/06 not 6/30/05. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/50bmgfaqs.htm#3 :confused:

artherd
03-06-2006, 2:12 AM
Oh hell I'm retarted. Can a mod please stick & edit the title? (just also found out I'm not a sitewide mod, waaaaaaaana Ramon!!! ;)

catsupsam
03-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Due date is 4-30-2006. Next Month, do it NOW.

I remember, a lot of people wanted to wait until the last moment to register and wanted to be reminded to do it.

bwiese
03-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Yes, register NOW.

Keep copies. Send priority mail, certified, return receipt.

I'd use a check (make sure it doesn't bounce!) Cancelled checks are great receipts for government processing.

If your app is somehow deficient but you filed in good faith, you'll have 2-week turnaround time to respond to DOJ questions about your reg.

Wait 2 weeks after mailing and call in and ask about your status. If there are questions, mail a certified letter to them stating something like "I mailed in my reg on <date>. Here are copies of my receipt and copies of my reg form. I have made a good-faith effort to comply with the law to the fullest possible extent. Please trace this matter and contact me within 3 days as to status."

adamsreeftank
03-06-2006, 4:00 PM
Yeehaw,

Just got my confimation back from the DOJ. It took about 4-5 days total, so they must have processed it within a day or two of receiving my app.

E__WOK
03-06-2006, 5:14 PM
Should I have my family members have it registered under their names also? This way, if I die, the gun won't have to be destroyed.

Rumpled
03-06-2006, 6:55 PM
E WOK
If they live with you and are over 18, those are the DOJ limits.
Then, do it - it just takes another form and $25 from each.

troyPhD
03-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Anyone registering their off list receivers as 50 BMGs?

jmlivingston
03-07-2006, 6:26 AM
Anyone registering their off list receivers as 50 BMGs?

I hope you're kidding...

Your .50BMG had to be purchased on or before Dec. 31, 2004, and the registration form requires you to list the date of acquisition. The earliest off-list received I know of that entered the state was Ben's which I believe occured mid-2005.

John

xenophobe
03-07-2006, 9:43 AM
If anyone in the South Bay Area needs registration forms, we have them for free at the shop.

http://www.gunexchange.com

PLEASE don't forget to register your fun toys!

troyPhD
03-07-2006, 10:06 AM
I hope you're kidding...

Your .50BMG had to be purchased on or before Dec. 31, 2004, and the registration form requires you to list the date of acquisition. The earliest off-list received I know of that entered the state was Ben's which I believe occured mid-2005.

John

Sorry, never mind. For some reason I was thinking about people reg'ing Fab-10s and it just popped into mind. I wasn't going to do mine anyway.

mdhpper
03-08-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm in the process of doing mine right now. I have a question about the acquisition date, does the month & year suffice, or are they looking for the actual day as well?

Thanks in advance!

sned45
03-08-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm in the process of doing mine right now. I have a question about the acquisition date, does the month & year suffice, or are they looking for the actual day as well?

Thanks in advance!

there is a number on the card to call for questions, I would call them and ask as you want to make dam sure you get it right.

tenpercentfirearms
03-09-2006, 7:59 PM
I just got my registration back today too! That as quick.

xLusi0n
03-10-2006, 5:45 PM
Someone come up with a .50 BMG loophole so I can get one !!! I was in Iraq when I found out that the .50 was to be banned and didn't get back till 10/2005.

I'm headed there in the next two weeks or so...still waiting...I hope I don't get screwed on my off-list lowers I just bought.

artherd
03-10-2006, 9:20 PM
Someone come up with a .50 BMG loophole so I can get one !!! I was in Iraq when I found out that the .50 was to be banned and didn't get back till 10/2005.

I'm headed there in the next two weeks or so...still waiting...I hope I don't get screwed on my off-list lowers I just bought.

This is about the only 'loophole' you're going to find, sorry: http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles/rifles_m9916.htm

uglygun
03-11-2006, 3:31 AM

510DTC.

BlueGrass Amory Viper, Serbu BFG50, and the EDM Windrunner.

Ballistically the same, dimensions only slightly modified so that 50BMG won't chamber in a rifle chambered for 510DTC or other way around(510 in 50BMG).

Good news? You won't have to register it either because it isn't a 50BMG.

Wish Barrett would have chambered for the 510DTC instead of that stupid barrel burning 40 cal. monstrosity. 800 round barrel life? Maybe if you are lucky. Then what? Send to Barrett for a new barrel at some rediculous cost? Better yet, buy the M99 416, have a custom gunsmith yank the 40cal. barrel and install a 510DTC barrel on it...(though factory warranty and repairs would be voided but I see no alternatives).

As for registration purposes within this thread. I listed my DPMS single shot as chambered for 50BMG, registration came back within 2 weeks completed.

xLusi0n
03-11-2006, 10:13 AM
If everything works out and the off-list lower is registered as AW can we then convert it to .50BMG?

bwiese
03-11-2006, 10:27 AM
If everything works out and the off-list lower is registered as AW can we then convert it to .50BMG?

I don't think so. Now, An existing AW that was reg'd in 2000 can have a 50BMG attribute:

12285(g)(2) Any person who legally registered a firearm as an assault weapon pursuant to the provisions of law in effect prior to January 1, 2005, where the assault weapon is thereafter defined as a .50 caliber BMG rifle pursuant to Section 12278, shall be deemed to have registered the weapon for purposes of this chapter and shall not be required to reregister the weapon pursuant to this section.
Since if/when off-list lowers get declared as AWs is well after 1/1/2005, you can't take advantage of this allowance.

CALI-gula
03-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Wish Barrett would have chambered for the 510DTC instead of that stupid barrel burning 40 cal. monstrosity .... I listed my DPMS single shot as chambered for 50BMG, registration came back within 2 weeks completed.

I had 3 DPMS VRS Single Shot receivers on my card in addition to numerous other .50BMG machines - DOJ returned the confirmation noting ".50BMG" for caliber on the DPMS, which is of no consequence as I don't intend to use them for any other caliber anyway. I got them because they were cheap, and heard great things about the ALS uppers, but they are not my primary .50BMG guns for shooting.

I don't ever plan on changing any of my .50BMG dedicated rifles into anything other than .50BMG - I would instead simply buy another rifle in 50DTC, or (maybe but not likely) the Barrett .416 or ????

I agree with uglygun on the .50DTC over the Barrett .416, and for even more basic, logical reasons. The problem with the .416 is that it is a whole new cartridge, WAY different than the .50BMG. With the .50DTC, because of the minor shoulder angle and minimal length differences, you can easily form your currently owned .50BMG cases into .50DTC if you wish, and use all of your same loading equipment, and same .510 bullets. The .416 does not use the .50BMG case in an easy to form set-up by the average re-loader - as was originally rumored. I can't imagine too many up-and-running .50BMG owners and reloaders like myself rushing to get the Barrett .416.

I suppose if I did NOT own anything in .50BMG, then that might be a different story - the truth is that the Barrett .416 is (and will prove to be in competitions) more accurate and faster than any of the .50BMG, .50DTC and .408 CheyTac cartridges available. I admit it is tempting, but I am still not interested - I like the .50BMG and would be partial to adopting the .50DTC because of its .50BMG heritage, similarities, and all of the .50BMG crap I already own and close-to a thousand pieces of good empty .50BMG Lake City brass I have lying around.

In a real-world matter, I suspect our military would never adopt the .50DTC - first and foremost they have no reason to do so - they are not limited to bans! But the visual recognition similarities and the errors that could cause during operations is another. Even if for some odd reason, they saw some a need to incorporate .50DTC, it would be similar to the confusion created by the .45 Long Colt vs .45 Smith & Wesson (.45 Schofield) issues of the 1870's.

The .50DTC round will therefore always be a civilian cartridge, and could help us circumvent any future bans CA might try to implement, especially when the fascist legislature bleat " Such and such gun is a military weapon, not meant for civilian use, blah, bleeding, blah". The .50DTC is not (nor likely ever will be) used by the military.

However, I suppose if Ronnie Barret is able to influence the military to adopt the Barrett .416 due to its attributes, we might see availability of cartridges and .416 brass increase abundantly. Because of the .416's performance abilities, it might prove more viable than the .408 Cheyenne's failures for the military to adopt it. Yet I'll postpone any purchase of a Barrett .416 in any case - the .50BMG/.50DTC similarities suit me fine.

uglygun
03-11-2006, 3:30 PM
I have an ALS upper and like it quite a bit.

Only problem is if the 50BMG is ever added to the NFA, the chances of the upper being supported by Darran on the long run is slim. His ability to make a living from making uppers would likely be effected and he'd close up shop and possibly not even do repair work.

That's where it would have been nice to get an Armalite AR50 or Barrett 99, those companies are likely to live on for the long run and be able to service the rifles for well into the future.

I've got a potential new job coming my way that will see me making significantly more than I currently earn, if I get this job after my probationary period is over I'm considering getting a BlueGrass Armory Viper in 510DTC to finally get that full on rifle.

My ALS is a nice shooter though, .47 inch 3 shot test group from ALS fired in a mil-spec chamber. I lucked out and didn't have to wait 6-7 months for my upper either, called him up and asked if he had anything laying around that somebody may have backed out of and there was an upper that was almost spot on exactly what I wanted.

artherd
03-11-2006, 9:32 PM
I don't think so. Now, An existing AW that was reg'd in 2000 can have a 50BMG attribute:

12285(g)(2) Any person who legally registered a firearm as an assault weapon pursuant to the provisions of law in effect prior to January 1, 2005, where the assault weapon is thereafter defined as a .50 caliber BMG rifle pursuant to Section 12278, shall be deemed to have registered the weapon for purposes of this chapter and shall not be required to reregister the weapon pursuant to this section.
Since if/when off-list lowers get declared as AWs is well after 1/1/2005, you can't take advantage of this allowance.

Hrm, Bill I think the paragraph is missing a comma that would enable that interpretation, but I think I also know what DOJ would say right now :P

After all, these off-list lowers WOULD BE registered pursuant to the provisions of law in effect prior to January 1, 2005. Infact the provisions were in effect 1/1/2000.

4pk
03-12-2006, 8:16 PM
what date should i put down if i forgot the aquisition date...i know it was in 2004....should i just make up a date or just put down "x 2004"

thanks

artherd
03-13-2006, 1:03 AM
Good idea to call and ask.

I wouldn't make one up, x/2004 is true & correct, wheras 6/6/2004 may not be true & correct.

I think as long as you don't put 1/1/2005 or later, you'll be just fine ;D

uglygun
03-13-2006, 2:02 AM
If your FFL you bought it from has one of the computerized links to the DOJ you may be able to just call them up and ask when the purchase was made.

I was able to have a receipt pulled up for my DPMS single shot lower a good year after I purchased it simply by calling the local gunshop, they had the receipt/payment on file.