PDA

View Full Version : Proving CA Residency without a CA DL

WantA9mm
05-04-2010, 5:40 PM
I have lived in California for the past three years, as a student and contracted in ROTC. I do not have a CA Driver's License, as I wanted to maintain my Maryland one (I don't know, I just preferred it).

I work here, pay taxes here (I have three year's worth of W2's with CA State taxes being paid), have vehicles registered here, and live here year round (I have utility bills and everything).

I have a Military ID but the orders I have for being here aren't like regular orders - they simply show departure from LA for training and returning to LA ("home academy", as it states). They are orders and they do show that my home academy is in California, but it's not like active duty orders that station you somewhere. The store used my military ID as my form of ID.

So if they don't accept my orders for whatever reason, can I just go get a CA DL and make this problem go away? Would getting the DL while on the 10 day waiting period work? If not, would bringing all the paperwork that shows I live here, pay taxes here, work here, etc. be enough?

gobler
05-04-2010, 5:52 PM
You could get a Ca ID card. Cost about $30.

dirtykoala
05-04-2010, 5:55 PM
you can get a bicycle license

WantA9mm
05-04-2010, 6:03 PM
you can get a bicycle license

sarcasm?

Just-in
05-04-2010, 6:35 PM
You need a I'd before you can start DROS and the ten day wait to answer the op.

WantA9mm
05-04-2010, 6:36 PM
I already did the DROS paperwork and started the ten day wait period on the gun. I have a CFD number and DROS number and all the paperwork from the FFL showing my name and information along with the make and model and serial number of the handgun.

ke6guj
05-04-2010, 6:38 PM
I already did the DROS paperwork and started the ten day wait period on the gun. I have a CFD number and DROS number and all the paperwork from the FFL showing my name and information along with the make and model and serial number of the handgun.
If the store accepted your military ID and paperwork, then I think you are fine.

Saym14
05-04-2010, 6:40 PM
ask for amnesty!

Ding126
05-04-2010, 6:50 PM
bring a copy of utility bill(s) where you reside when you go to pick it up ( just in case )

WantA9mm
05-04-2010, 9:05 PM
If the store accepted your military ID and paperwork, then I think you are fine.

They did accept it but they wrote in on their paper work checklist part "__ mil orders", then they had me initial by it and then sign the rest of the document. They are requesting orders showing I am stationed here. I thought the orders I have would work, but found out that is not the case since I am not active duty or was ordered by the Army to be here. Basically, they want military orders and I can't provide the ones they want. (I asked another FFL and they said the same thing)

bring a copy of utility bill(s) where you reside when you go to pick it up ( just in case )

I thought that too. I offered to show my california vehicle registration, california guard card, utility bills, california W-2 tax forms and anything else they wanted. They say they either need my military orders, california driver's license, or california identification card. Oh, and the latter two can't be a temporary version...has to be the hard copy. I think that's bull****, personally....

tankerman
05-04-2010, 9:14 PM
Here you go buddy, this is a response I got from the DOJ, Leslie McGovern <Leslie.McGovern@doj.ca.gov
Dear Mr. ********:

In regard to your e-mail inquiry, as long as the Z card contains all of the following, it would be an acceptable form of proof of residency:

"A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:

A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.
B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto."

Another form of proof of residency you could do is have your wife write up a contract/agreement stating that you live with her (it would have to include your name and the address would have to match the address on your ID or DROS form).

Should you have any further questions, you may contact the Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887.

Sincerely,

Leslie McGovern, Analyst
Bureau of Firearms

mxpatriot51
05-04-2010, 9:56 PM
I'm his friend that went down with him.

His problem is that they have marked down "MIL" as his ID, not "CA DL". So basically they want him to produce orders in order to fulfill residency. They've basically submitted the paperwork as if he's not a CA resident but is here on orders.

He's most likely going to get a CA DL. Would he have to restart the DROS process then?

gasol1ne
05-04-2010, 10:48 PM
whenever i DROS a gun, they never accepted my CA DL as a form of residency, i was always asked to produce a utility bill, or a car registration.

WantA9mm
05-04-2010, 11:13 PM
whenever i DROS a gun, they never accepted my CA DL as a form of residency, i was always asked to produce a utility bill, or a car registration.

Where do you do your DROS at? If you're in Garden Grove, that's not that far away. This shop is in Cerritos.

ilkhan
05-05-2010, 8:16 AM
As I understand it, the DL is to verify you are who you say you are, the utility bill/lease/etc is to prove you live where you say you live.

KI6RYC
05-05-2010, 8:25 AM
I don't drive so I got a CA ID instead of a DL. Works just fine for DROS.

teflondog
05-05-2010, 8:30 AM
As I understand it, the DL is to verify you are who you say you are, the utility bill/lease/etc is to prove you live where you say you live.

That's correct, but it doesn't have to be a driver's license. A California ID card paired with car registration or utility bill (electric, water, landline phone) is all you need for the DROS.

littlejake
05-05-2010, 1:23 PM
I think the OP is in a catch 22. He cannot produce the MIL orders. The dealer will not transfer.

A CA ID card would work; but he is required to disclose the MD DL on the DL-44 form under penalty of perjury; and they will ask (demand) he surrender it and get a CA DL.

It takes time to get the new license -- and a temporary is not acceptable.

You might consider posting this question the the FFL forum to get their opinion.

11Bforme
05-05-2010, 1:37 PM
Are you and SMP Cadet? If you are in the CA guard it should be pretty easy to get a weapon. I am from CA but Joined the OR NG when i was going to school. In Oregon being in the NG gets you in state fishing, hunting tags, and allows you to purchase weapons because you are a resident.

WantA9mm
05-05-2010, 2:01 PM
Are you and SMP Cadet? If you are in the CA guard it should be pretty easy to get a weapon. I am from CA but Joined the OR NG when i was going to school. In Oregon being in the NG gets you in state fishing, hunting tags, and allows you to purchase weapons because you are a resident.

I am not SMP. I am a MSIV on scholarship that is getting ready to commission in the next 2 months. I have my military ID that shows E-1 on it right now.

I actually called up T&A Armory, a FFL that was recommended to me buy another member here, and explained the situation. They said that if I bring in a vehicle registration or utility bill, my enlistment contract, and a memorandum or letterhead from one of my officers stating that I am a full enrolled, contracted cadet in my battalion, which is based out of Los Angeles, that I should be good to go. They also said that if the current FFL handling the situation would not do the transfer, that they would gladly do it for me.

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I have learned ALOT of good information from this experience. I'll keep this thread updated once it gets resolved, or regardless of how it pans out.

SVRider
05-05-2010, 2:42 PM
I ran into a problem doing a PPT to someone that had their DL listing a PO Box. It was going to kill the deal as the shop did not want to DROS. We reviewed the requirements. After a call to their owner, they agreed to accept a Utah issued CCW as it was both government issued photo ID with his California address on it.....

PolishMike
05-05-2010, 2:48 PM
Can't you use a US Passport as photo "ID" then have your utility bill, etc. serve as secondary proof of residency? (or does the ID have to be state issued?)

NO.

You are stuck right now.

The dealer submitted paperwork under MIL, which they shouldn't have done until they got your orders.

If you cannot provide orders then you have to tell the dealer to cancel the DROS, it will have to be redone no matter what.

You will have to get a CA ID card.

SVRider
05-05-2010, 2:50 PM
NO.

You're right....I just remembered when we read through the requirements more carefully....it had to have your address on it. Hence the reason we went Utah CCW....

WantA9mm
05-05-2010, 3:24 PM
Yup. I've been dealing with the original FFL and the recommended FFL along with the DOJ and basically the original FFL should not have used my MIL ID since I'm not active duty. We have to cancel the DROS and then restart it when my CA DL comes in. I can't do the CA ID card because I would have to forfeit my MD DL and then I would not have a driver's license.