PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/ used revolver inspection question

coltguy
05-04-2010, 3:39 PM
Hi folks, I'm a newbie to revolvers and would like to ask proper lock up inspection method. I've just put a down payment (not yet DROSd) on a used Colt revolver and did a basic inspection. The revolver was well used but also seemed well cared for. I did a lock up test (cocked the hammer, pulled trigger & gently released hammer, kept trigger pulled) and there was no fwd/backward move or side to side. However, the cyclinder would rotate very slightly if I tried to turn it while keeping trigger pulled. Is this acceptable / normal? Also, this particular Colt revolver is prone to timing issue, any good advice on how to check cylinder timing easily at the shop? Thanks ahead all.
Coltguy

rgs1975
05-04-2010, 4:40 PM
A minute amount of wiggle isn't something to be concerned about.

gearhead15
05-04-2010, 5:35 PM
How long is the barrel? If it's 6" or less it's usually pretty easy to bend up a piece of wire so that there's a small hook on one end. While holding it in lockup you can stick the hook down the barrel and into the chamber. Drag it around to make sure it doesn't catch on either side as you try to drag the hook out of the chamber.

coltguy
05-04-2010, 7:12 PM
It's a 6" barrel. Thanks for the wire tip, I'll think about giving it a shot. Hopefully it won't give the shop employees a heart attack while I do it. lol :p

1JimMarch
05-05-2010, 1:51 AM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57816

QuarterBoreGunner
05-05-2010, 9:32 AM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57816

JIM! Yer killing me; I literally just pulled that up to post it.

To the OP - read what Jim posted; it's pretty much the definitive method for checking out a used revolver.

nn3453
05-05-2010, 9:56 AM
How long is the barrel? If it's 6" or less it's usually pretty easy to bend up a piece of wire so that there's a small hook on one end. While holding it in lockup you can stick the hook down the barrel and into the chamber. Drag it around to make sure it doesn't catch on either side as you try to drag the hook out of the chamber.

I don't know about that. If you're not committed to buying yet and I'm selling you my gun, I sure as hell don't want you sticking any metal objects/hooks down the bore. You scratch it, you buy it.

Jim's guide is way better, ensures a thorough check and you are not POing the seller.

BigDogatPlay
05-05-2010, 1:44 PM
+1 on Jim's guide. Very good points.

OP mentions that it is a Colt he is pondering. Is it the older action (e.g. Python, Trooper, Diamondback, Detective Special), or a more modern action (e.g. Trooper Mark III, Mark V, King Cobra, Anaconda)?

In the older action when the trigger is pressed fully, the cylinder hand is pushed up and held tightly against the ratchet. There should be pretty much zero turning play in the cylinder when the trigger is fully pressed and held. If there is, it could be that the hand is worn, is out of shape, or that the ratchet has issues. Any of those are going to be a trip to the gun hospital to fix.

The newer action should also lock up quite tightly, although I understand the action doesn't work quite as effectively in the newer guns than it did in the older ones.