PDA

View Full Version : 4" vs 5" barrel?

BUYERRYAN
05-04-2010, 2:00 PM
I am purchasing my first handgun and am looking for some advice. I held the Springfield XD45 Tactical with a 5" barrel today and it felt really good. I am not going to be carrying this weapon as it will be used for fun/HD. Is there any reason "not" to buy the 5" vs the standard 4" barrel? Thanks in advance.

Army GI
05-04-2010, 2:34 PM
If it's just going to be a fun/range gun, go for it.

The only reason I'd go shorter is if a) you shoot better with it b) you're thinking about concealed carry.

While I like 5" semi autos, the 4" barreled ones seem to "sit" in my hand better.

tuna quesadilla
05-04-2010, 2:36 PM
If you liked how it felt, buy it. It may even shoot a little softer than the shorter barreled models because it'll be slightly heavier (more mass to absorb the recoil)

Old4eyes
05-04-2010, 2:39 PM
The increase of site radius will help in aiming.

The extra length of the barrel will add weight to the front end of the gun to help reduce muzzle flip.

The 5 inch model of the XD does NOT have a captive recoil spring. If you want to experiment around with different spring weights, you can do that more easily with the Tactical model.

I like my XD Tactical enough that I bought a second. I'm in the 10 day waiting period.

If you peruse the XD talk forum, there was a number of discussions on feed problems concerning the XD45. I found that none of them were discussing the Tactical model.

BUYERRYAN
05-04-2010, 2:42 PM
Thanks for that feedback. Sounds like there really is not a downside for my intended use.

addiction
05-04-2010, 2:49 PM
I started out buying a xd45 tactical, with the same goals you describe, the only down side is IF you find yourself developing a different interest. I did. I swapped the tactical for a compact, and picked up a xd40SC and a xd9 which a chopped the grip on. I now find myself much more interested in CCW and developing skills in that area, so the tactical would work, but makes a pretty bad choice for IWB conceled carry.....

The tactical is prefect for what you describe, BUT......

BUYERRYAN
05-04-2010, 2:53 PM
The tactical is prefect for what you describe, BUT......[/QUOTE]

I guess this just becomes an excuse to have more than one!:)

huck
05-04-2010, 3:30 PM
I've done some extensive research on your 4" vs. 5" question. Here are my findings:

http://home.comcast.net/~mhuckabone/ar/bl.jpg

Draw your own conclusions.
:41:

BUYERRYAN
05-04-2010, 3:42 PM
THANKS

gotshotgun?
05-04-2010, 7:07 PM
^ LOLZ

resident-shooter
05-04-2010, 8:28 PM
ROFL @ the research! :D

bak
05-05-2010, 7:39 AM
The tactical is prefect for what you describe, BUT......

I guess this just becomes an excuse to have more than one!:)[/QUOTE]

first handgun........yes you'll need to think of some excuses. Oh buy a larger safe than you think you need. You will fill it.

BAK

teflondog
05-05-2010, 7:42 AM
If it's not going to be used for carry then I always go for the full sized model. I prefer the longer sight radius and softer recoil.