PDA

View Full Version : RRA 9mm 10 Round Uzi Magazines!

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 8:29 PM
I was just looking through my RRA Dealer's Catalog and I noticed they now make 10 round Uzi mags fixed for the upper conversion! Check it out at Rock River's Website (http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=9MM0116LC&storeid=1&image=9mag.gif).

I will order some this week sometime. I have already ordered 4 of the 9mm uppers in CAR and Mid-Length and hopefully they won't take the full 60 days of the 30-60 days to get here. Check out my RRA 9mm prices for more info. (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/rra.htm#9)

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 8:30 PM
Oh that's cool! That's what I had planned for one of my 'mulit' caliber lowers! :)

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 8:38 PM
Yes, although expensive, this will make 9mm life much easier. I think anyone with more than one upper had this plan! Or maybe just great minds think alike! ;)

blkA4alb
03-05-2006, 8:56 PM
id be really interested in a 9mm upper for one of my ARs, and i heard that if you list on the AW registration (when that happens) multiple calibers it will just show up as 8888 for the caliber. i also heard there was a benefit to this and was planning on registering all of mine as .223/6.8. this ok?

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 8:59 PM
I think you can register it as 8888 and that means multiple caliber. I also don't think it matters what you regsiter it as, you can swamp them in and out all you want. A lot of lowers say on them "Multi" for the caliber, so that is what I will be writing down, if they ever get listed.

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 9:20 PM
Back in 99 I passed on a Colt 9mm with the block and mags and all that.... My friend bought it and he absolutely loves it. I really wish I could have afforded it, but I had multiple AWs in 3 different shops I had to pick up...

Now's my chance! yay!

ALTSEC972
03-05-2006, 9:32 PM
How are the RRA's 9mm conversions?? I'm stoked to hear about their stuff (for 9mm), but I keep hearing mixed reviews of most of the conversions out there.

This is really cool, and good timing too (for me!!)

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 9:37 PM
When my uppers and parts get here, I will find out for you. Now the only question is how am I going to fix the magazine. Does the standard mag release work so should my Sporting Conversions Kit work?

FUN TIMES! Should I take a CAR or a Mid-Length? The nice thing about a being a dealer is I get to pick what I want first! :D

jdberger
03-06-2006, 1:49 AM
How are the RRA's 9mm conversions?? I'm stoked to hear about their stuff (for 9mm), but I keep hearing mixed reviews of most of the conversions out there.

This is really cool, and good timing too (for me!!)
Check out the 9mm AR FAQ over on ARFCOM (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=108261).

tenpercentfirearms
06-28-2006, 10:37 AM
I know I am asking in the other thread, but I need to get this done.

RRA is still in the prototype stage on fixing their 25 rounders into 10 rounders. We are tired of waiting. I need some input on how to fix some 25 rounders I am going to order to be 10 rounders. I will supply them at minimal cost to my already paying customers who, like me, have single shot RRA 9mm OLLs because we have no magazines!

So if any of you have advice on how to permanently fix a UZI 25 rounder to a 10 rounder, please help us out. Thank you!!!

bwiese
06-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Wes,

Howzabout some clarification...

Do the RRA 9mm rifles/conversions take true Uzi magazines, or do these mags need modification for the Colt 223 mag catch? (i.e., is the RRA mag catch system different from a regular AR's mag catch?)

Do the RRA mag blocks take only Uzi (or Uzi-derived) 9mm mags, or true Colt mags or both? The Uzi mags are a smidgen narrower than the Colt mags and do move about a bit in a mag adapter for 9mm AR mags.

tenpercentfirearms
06-28-2006, 11:18 AM
From what I have gathered today in my research, the UZI mag is modified for RRA mag block use. The UZI 25 rounders from RRA are already modified. I have also seen hints at AR15.com that this modification is easily done with a Dremmel.

In addition, the RRA mag block also accepts Colt 9mm magazines as well. So I am liking the fact that this mag block is versitile. Now we just need to find out the best way to either fix the RRA 25 round UZI mags I am getting or find a source for Colt 10 round 9mm mags.

This project is my new priority.

EBWhite
06-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Your best bet is with the olympic arms upper and get a mag block from kurts kustom and use regular sten mags.
(if you have some preban ones)

Josh
06-28-2006, 1:15 PM
From my understanding the standard RRA mag block and modified uzi mags use the normal AR mag catch to secure the mag and the block is either held in by a set screw or dropped in from the top so that it can not fall out the bottom.

The regular mag locks should work on this set up.

PIRATE14
06-28-2006, 1:18 PM
From my understanding the standard RRA mag block and modified uzi mags use the normal AR mag catch to secure the mag and the block is either held in by a set screw or dropped in from the top so that it can not fall out the bottom.

The regular mag locks should work on this set up.

Correct................

PIRATE14
06-28-2006, 1:19 PM
From what I have gathered today in my research, the UZI mag is modified for RRA mag block use. The UZI 25 rounders from RRA are already modified. I have also seen hints at AR15.com that this modification is easily done with a Dremmel.

In addition, the RRA mag block also accepts Colt 9mm magazines as well. So I am liking the fact that this mag block is versitile. Now we just need to find out the best way to either fix the RRA 25 round UZI mags I am getting or find a source for Colt 10 round 9mm mags.

This project is my new priority.

Go get'em WES.................

tenpercentfirearms
06-28-2006, 1:24 PM
Ok, we are getting some confusion here. The issue is not complying with 12276.1 or CCR 980.20 in making fixed mag lowers. We know that is possible as I have my RRA already built up with a fixed mag kit in it. It is true that the mag block uses a standard AR15 mag release.

The problem is there is no magazine in the lower, just a fixed mag kit!!! We need to find a way to take 25 round magazines and permanently fix them into 10 round magazines. I have my high cap mag permit and I am going to buy some RRA mags today. Then I will convert them and provide those for my customers that already paid and like me are waiting to put a 10 round magaizine into my OLL.

REDHORSE
06-28-2006, 3:14 PM
Wes,

Howzabout some clarification...

Do the RRA 9mm rifles/conversions take true Uzi magazines, or do these mags need modification for the Colt 223 mag catch? (i.e., is the RRA mag catch system different from a regular AR's mag catch?)

Do the RRA mag blocks take only Uzi (or Uzi-derived) 9mm mags, or true Colt mags or both? The Uzi mags are a smidgen narrower than the Colt mags and do move about a bit in a mag adapter for 9mm AR mags.

Ok, to clear things up regarding Colt & RRA 9mm conversion.

There are currently two prominent mag adapters for the Colt/RRA conversion. There are many more mag adapter designs out there, but I will just talk about the these two in this post: One that based on the Colt design and the VM Hy-Tech adapter.

The current Colt & RRA 9mm mag adapter is a one peice unit. Current Colt & RRA carbines use the exact same adapter.
Slides into the mag well, and uses two pistons that cam out against the side of the magwell to hold it in place. The pistons are adjusted via an allen key bolt on the bottom of the adapter.
Works with BOTH Colt magazines and modified UZI mags. UZI mags just need a slot cut out for the AR mag catch to fit into. Colt mags have a BHO tang built into the follower.
The adapter has an intermediate lever that activates the standard 5.56 BHO lever. No need for the Colt 9mm specific BHO.
Magazines are released via the standard mag release button.
You can have UZI mags modified for you or you can do it yourself with some simple tools. M60JOE can do the modifications for you: http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/converted_uz_mags.htm

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/8121/9mmmagadapter6xa.jpg

VM Hy-Tech UZI mag adapter
Is only held in place via the standard AR magazine catch. Yet, it's hard to accidently drop the adapater via the AR mag button. You usually have the crack open the receivers to remove the adapter.
Uses standard unmodified UZI magazines.
Magazines are removed via a button on the left side of the adapter. It's not as quick as the standard AR mag release button, but its rather easy to do. You just grasp the magazine with your left hand and with you left thumb you depress the mag release button on the adapter and pull the mag down.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/6335/vmhytechb9af.jpg

If you want an OLL fixed mag setup with this mag adapter, you can drill a hole on the mag release button on the adpater (red dot in pic), tap it, and put a set-screw to disable the mag button. You would also still need the AR fixed magazine kit to fix the adapter into the magwell.

UZI magazines can be adapted to activate the BHO. M60JOE can do the modification. http://users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/bolt_hold_open.htm
But with the VM Hy-Tech adapter, you would also need the Colt 9mm dedicated BHO lever.