PDA

View Full Version : Do some CA counties/cities have ordinances against ammo by mail?

TonyNorCal
03-05-2006, 6:56 PM
I was over on http://www.sportsmansguide.com/sitemap/ShootingKnivesAmmo.asp
looking at ammo, and evidently they have a coupon you can use
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/section/section.asp?s=2993#top

On the bottom of some pages they have this disclaimer...
"WARNING: Ammunition cannot be shipped to Sacramento, California; Marin, Napa, Ventura and Yolo counties in California, Hawaii, Chicago Metro Area, New York City, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Washington, Puerto Rico or Canada. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Ammunition"

Now, some other sites have similar such prohibitions, some with other counties (I've seen Orange County).

So are any of these actual local ordinances or are these companies just misinformed?

Thank

blkA4alb
03-05-2006, 7:07 PM
hmm..i didnt think it was a problem. but i guess it can be classified as a hazardous material. ive actually never bought ammo online so i dont know if it's shipped with special markings etc.

shopkeep
03-05-2006, 7:26 PM
WTF no shipping to Sacramento? When did this happen? I recently had ammo from AIMSurplus shipped here and there were no problems.

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 7:29 PM
Remember, that's Sportsman's Guide... they have restrictions for everything...

TonyNorCal
03-05-2006, 7:42 PM
Is anyone aware of an actual county/city that has an ordinance banning the receiving of ammo via mail/private courier?

Companies just seem determined to make this stuff up. CDNN is the worst offended in my book...
no handgun sales to cali
no semi-auto rifle sales to cali
no defensive shotgun sales to cali

Nice:rolleyes:

timmy8151
03-05-2006, 7:53 PM
I know some wholesalers won't ship ammo to SF. AIM has turned me down in the past.

Taz77
03-05-2006, 7:57 PM
Is anyone aware of an actual county/city that has an ordinance banning the receiving of ammo via mail/private courier?

the date on SF prop H is getting pushed back, but when it officially goes into effect, SF county residents are prohibited from buying ammo in SF or getting it shipped into the county.

In a large part due to prop h, cheaper than dirt has stopped shipping to all of CA. They know it's legal to buy ammo in most of all of CA, they just don't want to deal with the ever changing policies of each county and/or the state.. or some sh*t like that.

I found the email... this is what they said:
"I apologize for the inconvenience. Due to the stringent laws in California, and specifically in San Francisco, Cheaper Than Dirt has made the decision to no longer ship ammunition to your state."

Snuffalofogus
03-05-2006, 9:35 PM

"WARNING: Ammunition cannot be shipped to Sacramento, California; Marin, Napa, Ventura and Yolo counties in California, Hawaii, Chicago Metro Area, New York City, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Washington, Puerto Rico or Canada. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Ammunition"

Now, some other sites have similar such prohibitions, some with other counties (I've seen Orange County).

So are any of these actual local ordinances or are these companies just misinformed?

Thank

crap, I bought 400 rounds (or thought I had bought) of Brit .303 surplus.

Looks like I'll be getting my email tomorrow.:(

gh429
03-05-2006, 10:06 PM
I just got a few hundred rds of ammo from Cheaper than Dirt without any problems. I can see both the bay bridge and golden gate from my window (I'm in the east bay though).

m1371
03-05-2006, 10:32 PM

Thank

I've bought ammo from SG and had it shipped to Orange County with no problems.

Sometimes places confuse Orange County, CA with Orange County, NY. AFAIK OC,NY has ammo restrictions.

m1371
03-05-2006, 10:35 PM
the date on SF prop H is getting pushed back, but when it officially goes into effect, SF county residents are prohibited from buying ammo in SF or getting it shipped into the county.

In a large part due to prop h, cheaper than dirt has stopped shipping to all of CA. They know it's legal to buy ammo in most of all of CA, they just don't want to deal with the ever changing policies of each county and/or the state.. or some sh*t like that.

I found the email... this is what they said:
"I apologize for the inconvenience. Due to the stringent laws in California, and specifically in San Francisco, Cheaper Than Dirt has made the decision to no longer ship ammunition to your state."

When was this? Recently?

Reason I ask is that I just ordered some .17hmr from them about a month ago and got it with no issues. Curious about this.

jdberger
03-05-2006, 11:34 PM
I know some wholesalers won't ship ammo to SF. AIM has turned me down in the past.The CMP and Midway won't ship ammo to SF either. Such a shame. It would have been a hoot taking a case of Prykal home on BART.

McMadCow
03-06-2006, 9:35 AM
The CMP and Midway won't ship ammo to SF either. Such a shame. It would have been a hoot taking a case of Prykal home on BART.

I've had ammo shipped to me in SF from Cheaper Than Dirt.
And I too have done the Muni ride home from the gunshow with a case of 9mm! :D

timmy8151
03-06-2006, 10:50 AM
The CMP and Midway won't ship ammo to SF either. Such a shame. It would have been a hoot taking a case of Prykal home on BART.

Yeah CMP doesn't ship to SF. I had to have my Greek ammo sent to a buddies warehouse in South SF.

rips31
03-06-2006, 11:49 AM
yup...had to have midway ship to san jose for me, too.

gunshack
03-06-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't know about other counties, but I now Marin doesn't have any restrictions on mail order ammo. Sportsman's Guide seems to make up the law as they go along. When I called them on it, actually spoke to a "manager" they recanted the statement that it's against the law, and told me it's just against their policy. That I believe, but I still don't like it.:mad:

slo5oh
03-06-2006, 2:42 PM
ammoman.com shipped to me. I just bought maybe 6 months ago. San Joaquin county.

Snuffalofogus
03-06-2006, 5:13 PM
crap, I bought 400 rounds (or thought I had bought) of Brit .303 surplus.

Looks like I'll be getting my email tomorrow.:(

just got my shipping email and tracking no. from sportsmans guide.

my ammo is on its way woot!

Taz77
03-06-2006, 6:53 PM
When was this? Recently?

Reason I ask is that I just ordered some .17hmr from them about a month ago and got it with no issues. Curious about this.

I've bought ammo from cheaperthandirt before w/ no problems, but as soon as Prop H passed, they supposedly changed their policy.

I ordered some ammo from them in July 14, shipped w/ no problems.

When I orders some on December 5, I got automated replies saying the items are restricted in California. I emailed CTD, and they replied with the one I posted earlier.

maybe I should try again?

m1371
03-07-2006, 7:18 PM
I've bought ammo from cheaperthandirt before w/ no problems, but as soon as Prop H passed, they supposedly changed their policy.

When I orders some on December 5, I got automated replies saying the items are restricted in California. I emailed CTD, and they replied with the one I posted earlier.

Yeah, I'd try it again.

It just seems strange they wouldn't sell to you when I just got some from them. Maybe they're just drawing straws on who gets their stuff and who doesn't......

Oldtimer
03-08-2006, 4:41 AM
There ARE some CA counties and cities that have passed mail order ammo sales bans, but I don't have a list of them. I can only speculate that the mail-order bans were imposed because some UPS drivers weren't having adults sign for shipments of ammo. Also, certain calibers of ammo have supposedly been banned in a few counties/cities.

As for Sportsman's Guide, their legal department is LAZY! If they merely THINK that certain items MIGHT be banned in California, they have a restriction posted on it in their catalog. A good example of that is night vision equipment, which Sportsman's Guide will NOT ship to CA. Their legal department is under the "assumption" that CA has declared such as being "eavesdropping equipment"! So far, I haven't been able to find ANY law in California regarding hand-held night vision devices....just rifle-mounted devices.

Tom Riddle
03-08-2006, 5:52 AM
I've been buying ammo from Sportsmans Guide for some time now and I've had no problems with a denial of service because of living in California.

I once questioned them , and subsequently voiced my concerns, about UPS leaving an order on my front porch when no one is home. They wisely suggested I have the ammo shipped to my office.........which I now do.

Of course buying 2000 to 4000 rounds at one time has it's drawbacks when you have to lug it to your pickup and then into the garage. If I was at home, I'd sucker the UPS guy into doing that for me. :D

Creeping Incrementalism
03-11-2006, 10:29 AM

I have CTD's March 2006 catalog in front of me, and on the restricted products page, for California, tracer ammo is the only ammunition listed, which has been there for as long as I have been using the service.

Though I also just noticed they don't sell "law enforcement use only" products--what law is that?

jdberger
03-14-2006, 8:22 PM
Here are a few Regs on the ammo shipments. The SF one is the best. No expanding ammo and no ammo that isn't for sporting purposes.

I may be crazy, but isn't it illegal to hunt with FMJ?

Ammunition Regulations - Berkeley (section 9.04.177 (http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/bmc/berkeley_municipal_code/title_9/04/177.html)) and the City and County of San Francisco (Art. 9, 613 (http://www.amlegal.com/sanfran_nxt/gateway.dll/California/San%20Francisco/Police/article00021.htm?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0))
prohibit the sale of ammunition without a local dealer license.

The City and County of San Francisco (Art. 9, 613.10(g) (http://www.amlegal.com/sanfran_nxt/gateway.dll/California/San%20Francisco/Police/article00021.htm?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0))
also prohibits a licensee from selling or otherwise transferring any ammunition
that: 1) serves no sporting purpose; 2) is designed to expand upon impact or
project or disperse barbs or other objects intended to increase the damage to a human body or other target; or 3) is designed to fragment upon impact.

Los Angeles ( 55.11(c) (http://lacodes.lacity.org/NXT/gateway.dll/lamc/code00000.htm/chapter00005.htm?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0)), Oakland ( 9.20.040 (http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/oakland/_DATA/TITLE09/Chapter_9_20__AMMUNITION_SALES.html)) and San Francisco (Art. 9, 615(b) (http://www.amlegal.com/sanfran_nxt/gateway.dll/California/San%20Francisco/Police/article00021.htm?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0)), among other jurisdictions, require any vendor selling or otherwise transferring ammunition to record specific information related to the sale, including the transferee's personal information and signature, and the brand, type and amount of ammunition transferred.

Sorry if some of the links are dead.