PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach Man Arrested with "armor piercing ammo"

Lexy99
05-04-2010, 12:48 PM
http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_15015517?source=rss

LONG BEACH -- An alleged stalker armed with enough armor-piercing bullets and guns to take on a small army was talked into surrendering peacefully, authorities said Monday.
The incident began Sunday about 9:40 a.m., when Long Beach Police Department East Division Officers got a call from a local woman who feared for not only her life, but the lives of her entire family and friends, said Nancy Pratt, a Long Beach Police Department spokeswoman.

The victim told officers that her ex-boyfriend, 43-year-old Dy Khensouvann of Long Beach, had threatened to kill her and everyone she knew. He had made the threats both in person and via messages left on her cell phone, Pratt said.

The victim was so terrified, she told officers, that she fled her East Long Beach home, near Wardlow and Studebaker roads, and talked to police at another location, Pratt said.

The officers were able to figure out Khensouvann's license plate number and broadcast it and his description to all of LBPD's units in the field, Pratt said.

As they continued to interview the victim, she received a phone call from an acquaintance warning her that Khensouvann's 2005 green GMC pickup truck was parked down the street from her home, which is near El Dorado Park.

The patrol officers then called Khensouvann on his cell phone, and the suspect admitted he was inside in the victim's home, Pratt said.

"The officers were able to talk to the suspect and convince him to come out of the residence and surrender peacefully," Pratt said. "Based on the circumstances, it is very possible that the suspect planned to act on his threats."
That became apparent when officers found Khensouvann had rifle rounds on his person and had a rifle in his truck with a full magazine, Pratt said.

When police searched the suspect's home, located near 10th Street and Obispo Avenue, they found assault rifles and metal-piercing ammunition, Pratt said.

Khensouvann was arrested on suspicion of multiple felony counts, including stalking, making criminal threats, residential burglary, possession of armor-penetrating rounds, possession of a concealed weapon in the vehicle, possession of assault rifles and possession of firearms with metal-piercing rounds, Pratt said.

His bail has been set at $1,050,000 and he is scheduled to be arraigned today at the Long Beach Superior Court, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Inmate Information

Lexy99
05-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Sounds bad for this guy but some of the reporting makes it sound like many of the charges might be a stretch.

Dr Rockso
05-04-2010, 1:13 PM
possession of firearms with metal-piercing rounds
Uh oh...I shot a .22 through a metal paint can last week. Am I going to jail?

I don't know about this one...I severely suspect that whether the guy is a psycho stalker or not he's not going to get convicted of anything substantial.

Cpl. Haas
05-04-2010, 1:13 PM
Given that he was inside the home, and had apparently made in-person and phone threats, it sounds like a good thing he's off the streets. Unless they found additional items in the car, however, I don't see where the "concealed weapon in a vehicle" charge is coming from... likewise, the armor piercing rounds might be legal if rifle caliber, and the AWs might be OLLs.

Wouldn't be surprised if the weapon charges are dropped in exchange for a plea on the stalking/threatening/burglary charges. Not at all uncommon for a DA to file every charge they can think of, with the intent of negotiating a plea bargain.

Uh oh...I shot a .22 through a metal paint can last week. Am I going to jail?

If you also decide to stalk/threaten to kill your ex and her family, then get caught inside her house with said .22 rounds in your pocket and an OLL in the trunk... yeah, probably. :p

wheels
05-04-2010, 1:23 PM
Gotta give to the woman - she got off the X. Although he won't be off the streets long.

She ought to get a CCW...

irsasc
05-04-2010, 1:29 PM
****.... i was golfing there on Sunday at El Dorado Park Golf Course.... Scary... Should of had my compact in my golf bag... lol. kidding...

PolishMike
05-04-2010, 1:32 PM
Remember it could be a guy with a couple OLL's, Wolf ammo, and a crazy ex for all we know.

Marxman
05-04-2010, 1:33 PM
... Khensouvann was arrested on suspicion of multiple felony counts, including stalking, making criminal threats, residential burglary, possession of armor-penetrating rounds, possession of a concealed weapon in the vehicle, possession of assault rifles and possession of firearms with metal-piercing rounds, Pratt said....

Those could very well be trumped up charges made by the police/DA to keep his bail high or to throw the proverbial plate of spaghetti against the wall the see what sticks. This guy's eating a s***sandwich, though, judges love fear of life and family stories. That couples with breaking and entering etc. He's looking at a really bad situation.

This aside, the rationale of charging him with so many unsubstantial infractions may come back to bite the prosecution in the behind. Note the two different forms of 'armor piercing' - supposed 'metal-piercing' and actual 'armor piercing'. Any defense attorney worth a damn should be able to tear those definitions apart - almost any (damn frangibles) ammunition is capable of metal penetration whether it's been designed to do so or not, and unless his ammunition was intended to defeat ballistic armor it's not armor piercing. Again, level II issued police kevlar won't defeat a rifle round, so is the rifle shooting armor piercing ammunition? Additionally I submit this odd legal definition I found in checking this out:

"Armor Piercing Ammunition refers to a projectile or projectile core which is used in a handgun."

Weird, huh?

Moving from the shaky ground of the metal piercing and armor piercing evil boolits, how did he conceal the weapon in his truck? Did he put it behind the seat? Was it on the floorboard? I suggest that it would probably be in plain sight, but that's just me. If he made no effort to conceal the weapon he could easily beat this charge.

The burglary charge seems trumped up too, and seems like it should be a simple breaking and entering or destruction of property (if he managed to break something or kick down a door) charge unless he actually stole from the house, which the article doesn't mention.

Last but not least the assault rifle! I don't even need to explain this one.
http://blog.robballen.com/images/saam/journalistguide.jpg

Now I have no clue what this guy really did or what the situation is. I'm not a lawyer and I haven't received my armchair yet - I'm just someone sick at home who wanted to present a possible argument against what seem like weak charges.

Marxman
05-04-2010, 1:41 PM
For clarification I think the guy sounds like a scumbag and I'm not too fond that he reinforces the stereotypical view anti-gunners have about gun-owners.

Lexy99
05-04-2010, 1:45 PM
Gun owners committ crimes but that doesnt necessarily mean they committ GUN CRIMES. That is all I am focusing on right now.

tiki
05-04-2010, 1:47 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

hill billy
05-04-2010, 1:57 PM
I've been given the third degree from a cop who was convinced that the 155 AMAX's I had were actually tracers. Don't believe everything you read.

D_fens
05-04-2010, 2:00 PM
Must be one heck of a small army then...

Marxman
05-04-2010, 2:04 PM
I've been given the third degree from a cop who was convinced that the 155 AMAX's I had were actually tracers. Don't believe everything you read.

LMFAO! Sorry, that sucks but it's still hilarious. That LEO's bullet-proof vest doesn't know when the round isn't armor piercing, so when it sees the black tip it just gives up immediately!

jdberger
05-04-2010, 2:04 PM
The burglary charge seems trumped up too, and seems like it should be a simple breaking and entering or destruction of property (if he managed to break something or kick down a door) charge unless he actually stole from the house, which the article doesn't mention.

Don't have to steal anything for a burglary charge (IIRC).

Unauthorized entry into a residence.....

ETA:

" trespassory breaking and entering of the dwelling of another at night with an intent to commit a felony therein. It is an offense against possession and habitation."

Marxman
05-04-2010, 2:10 PM
Works for me, thanks for the definition!

timdps
05-04-2010, 3:36 PM
"Armor Piercing Ammunition refers to a projectile or projectile core which is used in a handgun."

Weird, huh?

Armor piercing rifle ammunition is legal in CA.

Moving from the shaky ground of the metal piercing and armor piercing evil boolits, how did he conceal the weapon in his truck? Did he put it behind the seat? Was it on the floorboard? I suggest that it would probably be in plain sight, but that's just me. If he made no effort to conceal the weapon he could easily beat this charge.

Handgun in the glovebox/utility compartment, although there was no mention of a handgun?

Isn't there something in the CA penal code about firearms in a hidden compartment?

yellowfin
05-04-2010, 3:46 PM
Sheesh...they don't want you to have lead ammo for fear of the condors eating it, then when you have steel core they get all squirmy and call it "metal piercing"...can't they make up their sesame seed sized minds? :rolleyes:

Marxman
05-04-2010, 4:11 PM

I figured I'd throw that in to see if it was right. Sweet! Yes, it's legal but they claimed they found him with rifles and armor piercing ammunition with no trace of a handgun (in their reporting) - insinuation is that the AP ammo was for rifles, and would be legal meaning the charges are pointless. Thanks for the info.

Handgun in the glovebox/utility compartment, although there was no mention of a handgun?

Isn't there something in the CA penal code about firearms in a hidden compartment?

Going off of the 'no mention of a handgun' part I presumed it was a rifle. Hard to conceal a rifle IMO, but like I said that's just speculation on my part. Glovebox + handgun = no-no IIRC, doesn't qualify as a locked container, but then again they never mentioned any handguns.

gvbsat
05-04-2010, 4:24 PM

Darn, you beat me to it

Exposed
05-04-2010, 4:41 PM
Sure, the journalist did exaggerate (surprise), but this guy does seem kinda sketchy. Regardless of him having firearms or not. Making threats over the phone and breaking into your ex's house is always a red flag and indicator, that this particular guy probably should not own firearms (or knives, or baseball bats) as he is not very mentally sound IMO.

SirMooAlot
05-04-2010, 4:49 PM
Sounds like he got hit with an enhancement.

Any person who, while armed with a firearm in the
commission or attempted commission of any felony, has in his or her
immediate possession ammunition for the firearm designed primarily to
penetrate metal or armor.......

warbird
05-04-2010, 4:54 PM
one thing is for sure. His truck is not going to cover the bail. You know it's bad when the bail bond boys hang up on you (LOL).

GrizzlyGuy
05-04-2010, 4:57 PM

No, it is still legal to have a firearm in a hidden compartment. The usual locked container requirements would still apply. AB 278 from a few years back (http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_0251-0300/ab_278_cfa_20070326_094129_asm_comm.html) would have made that illegal but it didn't pass.

N/A, but hidden compartments would be illegal if you intend to use them for controlled substances (http://law.onecle.com/california/health/11366.8.html).

Josh3239
05-04-2010, 5:03 PM
http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_15015517?source=rss
An alleged stalker armed with enough armor-piercing bullets and guns to take on a small army...

Are these journalists on crack or something?

timdps
05-04-2010, 5:07 PM
Thanks Grizz!

I did find this though:
12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following: (1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. (2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. (3) Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he or she is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

But this only applies to handguns

Long guns can't be considered concealed because they are not considered concealable by state law

Looking at the text of not passed ab278, the concealed weapon law would have only applied to unlawfully owned firearms.

Very odd charge...

Tim

No, it is still legal to have a firearm in a hidden compartment. The usual locked container requirements would still apply. AB 278 from a few years back (http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_0251-0300/ab_278_cfa_20070326_094129_asm_comm.html) would have made that illegal but it didn't pass.

N/A, but hidden compartments would be illegal if you intend to use them for controlled substances (http://law.onecle.com/california/health/11366.8.html).

POLICESTATE
05-04-2010, 5:08 PM
Hopefully they find out his assault weapons came from Mexico :rolleyes:

CSACANNONEER
05-04-2010, 5:11 PM
Khensouvann was arrested on suspicion of multiple felony counts, including stalking, making criminal threats, residential burglary, possession of armor-penetrating rounds, possession of a concealed weapon in the vehicle, possession of assault rifles and possession of firearms with metal-piercing rounds, Pratt said.

AP rifle ammo is LEGAL in CA. It is not a felony!

A rifle in a vehicle can not be a "concealed weapon".

"Possession of firearms with metal-piercing rounds" is still not a felony if the ammo is for long guns.

How can a LEA spokeshole not have any clue about the law?

ojisan
05-04-2010, 5:29 PM
"How can a LEA spokeshole not have any clue about the law? "

1. It's gotta sound good for the media.
Often it doesn't really matter what the truth is.
Soundbites at 6:00 and 11:00PM tonight on channel XYZ!!!

2. Expect to be over-charged, with felonies if possible, so when plea bargaining occurs there is room to go down to close to what the proper charges should have been in the first place.
That's how the game goes.

That said, this guy sounds over the edge.
Some sit-down time to (hopefully) cool off is a good thing.

WeekendWarrior
05-04-2010, 6:26 PM
Both guys sound like scumbags. The stalker and the reporter that is.

1*mike
05-04-2010, 6:30 PM
Both guys sound like scumbags. The stalker and the reporter that is.

Most reporters are...IMHO

kcbrown
05-04-2010, 8:19 PM
Given the insanely biased and outright false reporting that we've all seen over and over and over again, I no longer trust anything the media says. If they said the sky was blue I wouldn't believe them until I checked it out for myself.

For me, the media has lost every tiny little bit of credibility it may have ever had. As far as I'm concerned, everything they say has the same amount of value as what's printed in the tabloids: none. The advertisements have more truth in them than articles printed in the media these days.

There may be the ever so rare exception to all that, but that's just a case of 99.99% of the people in the media making the other .01% look bad.

So: does anyone have any independent verification of any of the claims made by the media for this?

jamesob
05-04-2010, 8:45 PM
they call any semi auto an assault weapon these days. a 15 year old last week fired on tulare police and was shot and kill by them and the news said it was an assault weapon, turns out it was an m1 carbine.

Ron-Solo
05-04-2010, 9:06 PM
and you believe all the details were given to the media, who printed a fact based story that does not have an anti-gun spin to it..............

nick
05-04-2010, 9:11 PM
Umm, what rifle ammo isn't ammo-piercing? So the gun charges are the usual crap.

The guy is clearly a dirtbag, with the information available.

Meplat
05-04-2010, 11:50 PM
It is un[American to shoot for the big soft spots, to start with! There will always be somewhere to slip one in.:43:

QUOTE=Marxman;4235038]LMFAO! Sorry, that sucks but it's still hilarious. That LEO's bullet-proof vest doesn't know when the round isn't armor piercing, so when it sees the black tip it just gives up immediately![/QUOTE]

MrSigmaDOT40
05-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Those could very well be trumped up charges made by the police/DA to keep his bail high or to throw the proverbial plate of spaghetti against the wall the see what sticks. This guy's eating a s***sandwich, though, judges love fear of life and family stories. That couples with breaking and entering etc. He's looking at a really bad situation.

This aside, the rationale of charging him with so many unsubstantial infractions may come back to bite the prosecution in the behind. Note the two different forms of 'armor piercing' - supposed 'metal-piercing' and actual 'armor piercing'. Any defense attorney worth a damn should be able to tear those definitions apart - almost any (damn frangibles) ammunition is capable of metal penetration whether it's been designed to do so or not, and unless his ammunition was intended to defeat ballistic armor it's not armor piercing. Again, level II issued police kevlar won't defeat a rifle round, so is the rifle shooting armor piercing ammunition? Additionally I submit this odd legal definition I found in checking this out:

Weird, huh?

Now I have no clue what this guy really did or what the situation is. I'm not a lawyer and I haven't received my armchair yet - I'm just someone sick at home who wanted to present a possible argument against what seem like weak charges.

That Pic is Priceless:rofl2:

anthonyca
05-05-2010, 6:07 AM
Remember it could be a guy with a couple OLL's, Wolf ammo, and a crazy ex for all we know.

This is a good point. We have seen stranger cases recently. Ben Cannon ring a bell? I am not defending this guy or comparing him to Mr. Cannon, I am just pointing out that Mr. Cannon was charged with even stranger charges that turned out to be 100% false. Some here even assumed he was guilty.

Some LEOs and DAs should be charged for some of the stacker charges they place on people. There are many cases where it is obvious that someone broke a real law then is nailed with stackers which are clearly not real laws just to get a plea .

Again, I don't know if this guy is guilty or innocent, but I do know I have seen stranger things.

cdtx2001
05-05-2010, 6:44 AM

HAHAHA!!!! Sad, but very true. I want a big poster of this to put up in my garage.

As for the guy in the story, glad he got arrested as he sounds like a real winner. That said, I do not agree with the weapons charges. The guy may have been a dirtbag, but charges like that are way over the top.

What really scares me is that the charges the DA slapped him with could be applied to anyone on this forum. Some, not all, but some LEOs and most DAs simply don't know the difference between AWs and legally configured rifles, steel core vs. AP, etc.

As for the media, well... let me put it like this.... How many news reporters does it take to screw in a light bulb?.... Zero, they're always in the f***ing dark.

WokMaster1
05-05-2010, 7:17 AM
Are these journalists on crack or something?

He saw the US Army ad for Army of one.;)

DVCG30
05-05-2010, 7:38 AM
I'm reserving judgement on all this for now. Agreed that 'gun charges' in this state come fast and furious from the politicians/D.A.s. Vindictive and false charges also fly from scorned women with oily mouthpieces. Hopefully the truth will come with a little investigating and time.
A bit surprised how some members here jump on the fry'em side. As mentioned above,many of us could be dragged over the coals by a determined D.A. and their pack of hounds.
DVC
Jon

hill billy
05-05-2010, 7:49 AM
As for the media, well... let me put it like this.... How many news reporters does it take to screw in a light bulb?.... Zero, they're always in the f***ing dark.
:clown:

MichaelKent
05-05-2010, 9:55 AM
Uh oh, I wouldn't have ordered 880 rounds of 7.62x54r if I'd known there were felony counts against ammo that can penetrate armor and punch through steel. :eek:

Reminder to keep my Mosin out of the trunk.

SteveH
05-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Uh oh, I wouldn't have ordered 880 rounds of 7.62x54r if I'd known there were felony counts against ammo that can penetrate armor and punch through steel. :eek:

Reminder to keep my Mosin out of the trunk.

Only handgun ammunition designed to penetrate metal armor is illegal in California. Stuff like the old KTW and BAT loads. Anytime you see the term "armor piercing" just mentally edit that to handgun ammunition designed to penetrate metal armor.

SteveH
05-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Don't have to steal anything for a burglary charge (IIRC).

Unauthorized entry into a residence.....

ETA:

" trespassory breaking and entering of the dwelling of another at night with an intent to commit a felony therein. It is an offense against possession and habitation."

Enter a building with the intent to commit theft, petty theft or any felony.

Going into a church to marry your sister is Burglary.

HotRails
05-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Exactly. There's a woman or two out there that would call up an ex and ask him for "help" with something then when he arrived say he broke in..

HokeySon
05-05-2010, 11:10 AM

LBPD is responsible for the initial charges reported, this happens before it gets to the DA. I cannot comment on the LBPD's practices without the head janitor getting on me for being anti-LEO, so I wont (and will also say I have friends there, the people are good, the organization is different IMO).

Anyway, there is no way this guy is getting out before trial -- Long Beach judges will likely increase his bail. It is not a good courthouse to be a defendant in.

Bugei
05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Sheesh...they don't want you to have lead ammo for fear of the condors eating it, then when you have steel core they get all squirmy and call it "metal piercing"...can't they make up their sesame seed sized minds? :rolleyes:

Sure they can.
"No AMMO for you! You are banned!"

bohoki
05-05-2010, 1:55 PM
he was arrested with armor piercing ammo ... so

he wasn't arrested "for" armor piercing ammo

if you are not familiar with sensationalized reporting by now you must have been living in a cave

once you learn the 3 c's of reporting you know how to read between the lines

conflict,controversy,compassion and that is the order of priority as well

Lyte-
05-05-2010, 2:01 PM
For clarification I think the guy sounds like a scumbag and I'm not too fond that he reinforces the stereotypical view anti-gunners have about gun-owners.

well he breaks one major stereotype.. Judging by his name is he Laotion...

steelrain82
05-05-2010, 3:40 PM
ill i heard out of this is that its ok to possess ap rounds for a rifle. is this correct. i didnt know if it was otherwise i would have bought some

ZRX61
05-05-2010, 8:32 PM
A *small army*?

So that would be what... a platoon maybe? ;)

Rocket Man
05-05-2010, 8:42 PM
I wonder what the media would say about my 4k of various calibers :eek:

(IMO I'm running low on ammo :43:)

anniepoks
05-05-2010, 8:54 PM
poor guy.
im into convicting him on grave threats, illegal weapons (if any), battery or assault, etc.....
BUT the media headlining combination of words; armor piercing, guns to take on a small army....blah blah blah... to misguided news reporters - sell truth NOT hotcakes!