05-04-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/local/Defending-yourself

Advertisement
Defending yourself
Updated: Monday, 03 May 2010, 10:35 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 03 May 2010, 10:35 PM EDT

Sharia Davis
FOX Toledo News reporter
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio (WUPW) - To shoot and kill.

The Second Ammendment of the United States Constitution gives us the right to defend ourselves.

But with every right we have when it comes to bearing arms - law enforcement officials say you can do wrong if you're not careful.

People say with the struggling economy, more and more are looking for ways to make a quick buck.

But Dean El Jouberley refuses to let anyone take what he has worked hard for, no matter what price he has to pay in return.

Recent robberies at Allied Music on Byrne Road near Heatherdowns Boulevard and Bengal's Food Mart on Airport Highway reminds El Jouberley why carrying a gun at work is important.

"I'm not going to let someone who's going to put a gun in my face disrespect me, take my money, take bread off of the table of my kids, and walk away," he said. "That's not going to happen."

El Jouberley understands why the owner and clerk at Allied Music and Bengal's shot at robbery suspects, who entered into their stores a few days apart in March. He too shot at a robber - in fear of his life.

Three years ago, El Jouberley was robbed at his Toledo store Deano Mini-Mart Too in broad daylight.

"I had to stop him because he would have come back over and over and over," he recalled.

Sheriff deputies say robberies can happen at any place at any time.

Wood County Sheriff Mark Wasylyshyn said there have been many robberies in his jurisdiction, but fortunately none of them have been fatal. Sheriff Wasylyshyn believes people have the right to protect themselves, and with recent incidents maybe it will give would-robbers something to think about.

"Maybe if the robbers learned that carryout owners have guns and are going to protect themselves," Sheriff Wasylyshyn said. "Hopefully that will deter and stop the robbers."

The sherrif said you have to think before you respond - or you can be held responsible.

"If the person is running out of the store, if the carryout owner pulls out their gun and the person drops their weapon, and they take off running - their life's no longer in danger," Sheriff Wasylyshyn said.

But if you feel threatened?

"If someone comes up, brandishes a gun, I think it's very safe to assume that person's prepared to use that weapon - do what they can do to protect themselves," he said.

As for the March shootings, none of the carryout owners were charged. Toledo police investigators ruled the Allied Music and Bengal's shootings justified.

Sheriff Wasylyshyn said if there's a way you can avoid the situation by escaping or sounding off the alarm system, do it. But if you can't and you feel absolutely threatened, you will not be punished for ending a life of someone who tried to end yours.

Silverlake223
05-04-2010, 2:03 PM
You read about these types of stories in American Handgunner all the time. Is it that hard for politicians to figure out that additional efforts to reduce law abiding citizens rights to bear arms, means more criminal behavior! An armed society is a polite society...