PDA

View Full Version : A little off-topic, about gun storage

pipskicks
03-05-2006, 6:03 PM
If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize and please move it.

I have a few long guns, yet they are not very expensive, and I do not have the room for a safe, they probably aren't even worth as much as the safe would be (I do have a handgun safe, I just use a lock on the action and I pray that no one robs the garage). However, one gun is nicer, and I do want to protect it, I am more worried about rust, than I am about it being stolen.

What is the best way to store it so that it prevents it from getting rust. I was looking at some of the rifle "socks" that offer some protection, but are these the best options?

maxicon
03-06-2006, 5:27 PM
Before I got a safe, I stored my long guns in silicone sacks inside inexpensive Doskocil Gun Guard plastic 2-gun cases from Big 5 ($20 on sale). I'd padlock these shut, but they'd be easy to cut open, so I also hid them reasonably well.

This worked well - the cases made them easy to handle and protected them from hard knocks, while the sacks protected them from scuffs and rust.

I never had any problems with rust with this system. I still store them in the sacks inside my safe, for the same reasons.

The best price I found on the sacks was for a 6-pack of Sack-Ups at Cabelas (6 for $25, $6 shipping), but they're sold out of that. They have singles for $5-6 each.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=search&rid=&indexId=cat601049&navAction=pop&navCount=1&parentType=&parentId=&id=0005785

max

socalsteve
03-14-2006, 2:42 PM
I've used "Bore Stores" for years and never had a rust problem. They are similar to the gun socks but thicker with more cushioning.

Sportmans Guide sells them plus the gun shows ususally have a table full of them. They are a light grey in color and the inside looks sort of like grey synthetic sheepskin. They are suppossed to be silicone impregnated? They have worked for me Plus they prevent scratches.

The only thing is I live in southern California where its pretty dry.