PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Handgun what do I need?

Markus
05-03-2010, 10:55 PM
I have found a handgun that I want, I just need to determine what I need to do to get it. I know I need to get an HSC, I know I have to pay for the guy and DROS. What about proof of residency? Im living at home and dont have an electricity bill or any of the other things listed on the ATF site I went to. Is there anything else that Ive forgotten?

speeedracerr
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Car registration? If not, perhaps you can purchase a "lease" agreement at office depot/staples and have your parents draw out a lease even though you do/don't pay rent to show your residency.

BUT... please dont quote me on this as I overheard that this would work at a local gun shop but really unsure. But... i dont see why it wouldn't work.

Markus
05-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I do have a car registered in my name.

speeedracerr
05-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I do have a car registered in my name.

Perfect... thats all you will need as long as it has your place of residence on your registration.

badfish2
05-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Cell phone bill?

Markus
05-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Now that I think about it I have only a temporary registration on my car as I just got it a couple weeks ago. Can I use a Passport or Birth Certificate?

ke6guj
05-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Can I use a Passport or Birth Certificate?no, those don't have an address on them, so they aren't POR. Read this for more info, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf

Masterdebater
05-04-2010, 2:17 AM
any bill in ur name will work. at least thats what they asked me for when i just bought mine last week, ur liscense and any bill or car registration if it has ur name and address info on it. but gun places can be different on what they wanna see im sure...

Cyc Wid It
05-04-2010, 3:00 AM
They don't accept cell phone bills either, only land lines.

Greg-Dawg
05-04-2010, 5:00 AM
You need to move out of your mom's basement.

ChuckSteak
05-04-2010, 6:40 AM
Now that I think about it I have only a temporary registration on my car as I just got it a couple weeks ago. Can I use a Passport or Birth Certificate?

If you have a temp registration go get your actual registration. It might suck, but go spend a few hours at the DMV.

ilkhan
05-04-2010, 8:18 AM
parent's lease is what Im using, come Friday.
Basically the same situation as you, but without even the car in my name (I was out of town when they used my money to buy it for me :/ )

Just-in
05-04-2010, 9:10 AM
patience.

teflondog
05-04-2010, 9:25 AM
Car registration sounds like your best bet. Other valid statements of proof are an electric, landline phone, or water bill. No FFL that I know will accept a cell phone or credit card bill. Some shops I've been to were willing to accept a cable or internet bill though.

DaveFJ80
05-04-2010, 9:33 AM
Showing a FFL a cell phone bill is like showing them a magazine you subscribe to with your address on it. You can pretty much have those (or a credit card) billed to any address.

Your physical location includes utility bills, but some places require that you've been there at least 3 months in order to use the utility bill for address verification. As everyone mentioned, your best bet is any State or Government form that has your current physical address on it, and that has an expiration date on it.

j1133s
05-04-2010, 10:24 AM
I have found a handgun that I want, I just need to determine what I need to do to get it. I know I need to get an HSC, I know I have to pay for the guy and DROS. What about proof of residency? Im living at home and dont have an electricity bill or any of the other things listed on the ATF site I went to. Is there anything else that Ive forgotten?

So, what dealer are you planning to buy/transfer your "found" handgun? It seems like that would be the place to call to get your questions answered. If it isn't an FFL dealer but a street vendor, then I'd think all you need is cash, no?