PDA

View Full Version : OK Let's build a 1911.

Bud Fox
05-03-2010, 8:37 PM
I've read the FRAME threads etc, and I think it's a good start. If the frame is machined correctly, and in spec, it's the internals the build the pistol.

I'm a Dan Wesson guy, I like quality but I don't have the cash to go to the next level. I thought it would be interesting to get people opinions if a gun was pieced together

Here are his list of parts on the CBOB. I've highlighted the Ed Brown products, so if we can build from here this could be fun.

Round top slide with fixed 3 dot tritium night sights
Forged, one piece match grade barrel and bushing.
Ed Brown Bobtail mainspring housing
20 LPI checkered front strap
Hand polished flat surfaces with contrasting bead blasted rounds
Beveled magwell
All sharp edges dehorned by hand
Lowered and flared ejection port
Ed Brown memory groove grip safety
Ed Brown slide stop
Tactical, extended thumb safety
Commander style match hammer
Match grade sear
Aluminum trigger with stainless bow
Extended serrated magazine catch
Wolff springs used exclusively
Diamond checkered coco-bolo grips
Tuned, machined, internal extractor
Test fired for reliability
34 ounces unloaded

Greenbeanz69
05-03-2010, 9:54 PM
i hope your taking these parts to a gunsmith or someone with experience. fitting a match barrel and slide and frame take a bit of experience. otherwise the parts seem good. except for a magwell. why would you put a magwell on a commander bobtail? the point of a commander bobtail is easier to manage/conceal/draw from holster. get a full size if your going for IPSC or competitive shooting

9mmepiphany
05-03-2010, 11:27 PM
why would you put a magwell on a commander bobtail?
i don't think he's talking about adding an extended mag well, i think he's talking about beveling the mouth of the mag well

a couple of observations:
1. you can usually get a slide with the ejection port already lowered and usually flared.
2. 20 LPI checkering is pretty abrasive
3. consider getting the checkered MSH to match the frontstrap
4. you gain very little with a 3-dot system over a single dot front night sight

PutTogether
05-03-2010, 11:55 PM
i hope your taking these parts to a gunsmith or someone with experience. fitting a match barrel and slide and frame take a bit of experience. otherwise the parts seem good. except for a magwell. why would you put a magwell on a commander bobtail? the point of a commander bobtail is easier to manage/conceal/draw from holster. get a full size if your going for IPSC or competitive shooting

I think the OP is giving a list of how a Dan Wesson (CZ) commander sized bob-tailed 1911 comes from the factory, and asking us to add or remove hypothetical customizations from there.

I had a Dan Wesson PM7, which is the Government sized 1911 - and loved everything about it except the finish. That mix of high polish flats and bead blasted rounds is just unattractive. The bead blasted part always felt an unpleasant rough too.

9mmepiphany
05-04-2010, 12:50 PM
I think the OP is giving a list of how a Dan Wesson (CZ) commander sized bob-tailed 1911 comes from the factory, and asking us to add or remove hypothetical customizations from there.

a slight revision then to optimize the CBOB:
1. change out cast slide stop for an EGW barstock unit for durability
2. change the trigger for a solid Harrison Design unit that removes more pretravel
3. change out rear sight for a 10-8 plain black unit for faster sight acquisition
4. fit a Ed Brown bobtail housing with 25lpi checkering for an improved grip
5. beveled out the magwell to max dimensions for smooth reloads