PDA

View Full Version : Anybody recieved their AW registration form?

Paramoose
03-05-2006, 6:54 AM
As I sit here enjoying the fact that I have my AMEETEC lower as my favorite new not-yet-a-gun, I was wondering if anyone has recieved the AW registration form from the DOJ? I was told by the FFL that the DOJ would send me the form to register it and the request for the fee. Will this happen only after AMEETEC appears on the ban list? All efforts to get the form through the DOJ website have failed. Anybody with any input on this?

Scotty
03-05-2006, 7:15 AM
Ha ha, that's funny. Have you read any of the threads on this forum?

harley66
03-05-2006, 7:27 AM
get a case of cold beer and do a "search", sit back and enjoy

Justang
03-05-2006, 7:36 AM
LOL!

They'll list in 2 weeks. Hold your breath and wait. If I'm wrong, then it's 2 weeks from the end of the first two weeks.... and so on and so forth.

1911_Mitch
03-05-2006, 8:12 AM
registrations forms are not available yet.
the lowers are not yet listed as AW.

Justang
03-05-2006, 8:17 AM
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Just a joke. ;)

Welcome to Cal-Guns. This is the hot topic right now. Sift through some of the old posts and you'll find all that you need.

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 8:51 AM
You can't register something that is not an assault weapon as an assault weapon. You cannot make your Ameetec an assault weapon or you will be a felon. You will have to wait.

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 12:18 PM
I was told by the FFL that the DOJ would send me the form to register it and the request for the fee.

No, they will not. It is your burden to find out when these receivers are listed, to find an AW Reg card (one will be mailed to you if you ask, I'm sure), and send it in with payment.

The DOJ will not contact you, you must contact them. Reg cards will be available at any gun store/FFL.

Jeff Rambo
03-05-2006, 12:20 PM
As I sit here enjoying the fact that I have my AMEETEC lower as my favorite new not-yet-a-gun, I was wondering if anyone has recieved the AW registration form from the DOJ? I was told by the FFL that the DOJ would send me the form to register it and the request for the fee. Will this happen only after AMEETEC appears on the ban list? All efforts to get the form through the DOJ website have failed. Anybody with any input on this?

Please contact me via PM and tell me who this FFL is. S/he is doing their customers a great disservice by giving out misinformation if what you say is accurate.

Justang
03-05-2006, 2:07 PM
I had mentioned a mass email from calguns IF they do list them. The reponse made me believe that was already thought of. So hopefully that helps us out.

blacklisted
03-05-2006, 2:20 PM
There was some informed speculation here in January about the DoJ mailing out Reg forms due to the DoJ's auditing procedure (inspecting forms and getting driver's license info of purchasers).

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 3:33 PM
There was some informed speculation here in January about the DoJ mailing out Reg forms due to the DoJ's auditing procedure (inspecting forms and getting driver's license info of purchasers).

Huh, what? More like misinformed speculation. The DOJ does not know what you have or have not purchased purchase unless it's a handgun. In cases of long guns, they may know how many, but what type is not known to them unless they personally call or visit a FFL to find out.

Any 'audit' they preform on any particular FFL would only be to check the FFL for compliance to State law.... taking fingerprints with DROS, Safe Handling Demonstration and Safe Affidavits forms, proof of residency, etc... The DOJ will not take names and addresses of people who bought any particular lower and contact them to make sure they have registration forms or to make sure that they register.

The DOJ won't even contact you if you tried to buy a handgun, have a DMV hold, a delay or straight denial for being a convicted felon. If that person is on parole, then it's possible a police detective will call or stop in for a copy of the 4473, but that's about it.

blacklisted
03-05-2006, 3:40 PM
Huh, what? More like misinformed speculation. The DOJ does not know what you have or have not purchased purchase unless it's a handgun. In cases of long guns, they may know how many, but what type is not known to them unless they personally call or visit a FFL to find out.

Any 'audit' they preform on any particular FFL would only be to check the FFL for compliance to State law.... taking fingerprints with DROS, Safe Handling Demonstration and Safe Affidavits forms, proof of residency, etc... The DOJ will not take names and addresses of people who bought any particular lower and contact them to make sure they have registration forms or to make sure that they register.

The DOJ won't even contact you if you tried to buy a handgun, have a DMV hold, a delay or straight denial for being a convicted felon. If that person is on parole, then it's possible a police detective will call or stop in for a copy of the 4473, but that's about it.

Well, one of the FFLs who posts here actually gave the info of the people who bought them to the DoJ when they requested it.

In addition to this, people that were at another FFL during an audit witnessed them looking at 4473 forms and copying information.

I'd say that is informed speculation that they were/are planning to send info to purchasers.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26338&highlight=4473+audit

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26462&highlight=4473+audit

There you go.

This will be my one and only statement. I was audited today. They copied the driver's license for every single DROS I had. They said it was for directly notifying you if your lower gets named. I also stated I am tracking this and was planning on doing this as well, so we made a compromise and I will give him everyone's info and he will do the mailing for me. So as has been stated by myself and everyone else all along, if these things get listed (which I could care less since we only sell them for you to make ten round fixed mag versions), you have no choice but to register or send them out of state. This isn't really a concern anyway because if you were trying to sneak something around, you wouldn't have gone through a CA FFL to do it.

The DOJ were friendly, courteous, and respectful. I am not in prison and it looks like everyone is semi-happy. I will not be posting around here again anytime soon as I want this whole episode of my life to be over. We were able to meet a lot of great people, get our name out there, and get out of the red on our brand new shop. Now I am retiring from the lower business.

Please do not post anything in any threads I have created about the DOJ this or the DOJ that. Just leave me out of it. I have no reason to piss them off and I appreciated their professionalism today. From here on out, we just sell regular old firearms and I hope to quickly make this a very impressionable moment in my history.

Again, thank you for all of your support and good luck.

Do you still think that I'm making this up?

They may not be doing it now, but they certainly did for those of us that got in on this in December/early January.

tenpercentfirearms
03-05-2006, 5:50 PM
Its true Xenophobe, they came and made copies of all of the DLs I had. I think to keep the publicity of this thing minimal, they would like to mail out as many reg forms as possible. The longer they wait, the harder that is going to be. Only time will tell.

bwiese
03-05-2006, 6:05 PM
Its true Xenophobe, they came and made copies of all of the DLs I had. I think to keep the publicity of this thing minimal, they would like to mail out as many reg forms as possible. The longer they wait, the harder that is going to be. Only time will tell.

Yes, and this is what tells me the DOJ/AG is quite embarassed.

When AWs are declared, there has to be a publicity campaign. If they can reach as many folks as possible, the costs as well as political implications are significantly lowered. Since 75+% of these lowers are being sold by 20 or so FFLs, the bang-to-buck ration of scanning DROSes is beneficial for them.

In fact, I was quite encouraged when I'd heard of this - thought listing could come soon after.

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 6:16 PM
That's news to me. I had my FFL during the 89 Roberti-Roos and also bought plenty before 99.

IF the DOJ was collecting information, it wasn't to hand out free AW reg cards to everybody.

Blacklisted, as soon as you receive your unrequested AW Reg card in the mail, I'll believe that they're going to send out AW Reg cards. Copying 4473s and personal info is more likely to be used in busting people who didn't register as opposed to sending out free unrequested mailers, IMO.

EBWhite
03-05-2006, 6:39 PM
I'm putting my money on they will never be listed.

The memo's were put out to scare people away from buying these which works on some.

However, IMO, they will be using the legislative branch to add a new catagory of AW or a total ban on any semi auto centerfire rifle that takes a detachable magazine.

Adding these only makes them look bad and banning all those rifles will work better for them in the long run. They can use these offlist lowers as an excuse to ban all detach mag guns in the media if needed.

Pthfndr
03-05-2006, 6:44 PM
I have to side with xenophobe on this. But my reason for doing so is, many here have mentioned how the DOJ has spread falsehoods, misinformation, (out right lies?) etc.

So why believe them when they say they're going to mail out reg forms? :rolleyes:

EBWhite
03-05-2006, 6:47 PM
They wanted the DL so they could make a list of people and if they are listed or when new legislation is paseed they could contact you if you never register them..

blacklisted
03-05-2006, 6:47 PM
Blacklisted, as soon as you receive your unrequested AW Reg card in the mail, I'll believe that they're going to send out AW Reg cards. Copying 4473s and personal info is more likely to be used in busting people who didn't register as opposed to sending out free unrequested mailers, IMO.

I don't know for sure that this is what they are doing. It is also likely that they are going to send letters to people after the 90 days that did not rgister. If I get an unrequested reg card, I will be a bit angry.

artherd
03-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Copying 4473s and personal info is more likely to be used in busting people who didn't register as opposed to sending out free unrequested mailers, IMO.
I could not agree more. IN-fact, I know an unfortunate soul that this very thing happened to. (fortunately he had already gotten rid of the gun before it became an AW, but they kept his name for 9+ years, waited untill all reg periods had EXPIRED, then sent him a very nasty threatening letter.)

xenophobe
03-05-2006, 11:21 PM
I could not agree more. IN-fact, I know an unfortunate soul that this very thing happened to. (fortunately he had already gotten rid of the gun before it became an AW, but they kept his name for 9+ years, waited untill all reg periods had EXPIRED, then sent him a very nasty threatening letter.)

The fact that DOJ is taking notes on what kind of long arms an individual is buying is suspect to say the very least. Keeping these records is a violation of the law and personal privacy. The only circumstance that could warrant such a search and seisure of confidential information is if there is an open investigation, and once that investigation were to close, those documents would need to be destroyed.

The DOJ is not allowed to keep or maintain those personal records concerning long gun DROS and Make/Model. The ATF, however, is.

phish
03-05-2006, 11:32 PM
I wonder if there is some type of internal audit process in place to make sure this happens.

probably not

:rolleyes: