PDA

View Full Version : ballistics

smlockdown
05-03-2010, 5:14 PM
I am looking to buy a glock 17 and wanted to know the ballistics on hollow point ammunition.

I currently have a glock 22 and want to make sure Im not "downgrading" to something less powerful.

I want to have the less recoil for faster target aquisition, and be able to hold the extra rounds in the high cap mags.

Fjold
05-03-2010, 6:51 PM
Of course you're downgrading to a less powerful round. You're going from 40 S&W to 9mm.

B Strong
05-03-2010, 7:11 PM
I am looking to buy a glock 17 and wanted to know the ballistics on hollow point ammunition.

I currently have a glock 22 and want to make sure Im not "downgrading" to something less powerful.

I want to have the less recoil for faster target aquisition, and be able to hold the extra rounds in the high cap mags.

Right off the bat, you can't get less recoil without going to a much heavier piece in the same caliber, or a lesser caliber in the same envelope.

The 17 will get you less recoil, at the price of a less effective round.

Check the major ammo manufacturers website and you'll find ballistic tables detailing their ammo choices - just compare 9 x 19 and .40 Smith.

XDRoX
05-03-2010, 7:18 PM
I agree with what has already been said. You can get close to 40 power in the 9, but the felt recoil will be just as harsh.

My advice would be to settle for a less powerful round in return for less recoil and faster target acquisition and more rounds is icing on the cake.

I prefer 9 over 40 for these reasons I just mentioned.

elSquid
05-03-2010, 7:21 PM
A quick read -> http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

-- Michael